Sethi calls for transparency over TVA coal ash site

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Manny Sethi is urging the public to submit comments about the Tennessee Valley Authority’s plan to to open a 65-acre site near the Kingston Fossil Plant, first as a source for fill material and later as storage for coal ash.

The collapse of a leaking, six-story earthen dam in at the Kingston plant in 2008 released more than a billion gallons of coal ash. It is the biggest industrial spill in modern U.S. history, according to The Associated Press.

Here is the full release from the Sethi campaign:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Tennessee Valley Authority is seeking public input on a proposed new borrow site, which would open a 60+ acre site on TVA land at Kingston Fossil Plant. There are fewer than 10 days left for the public to comment on the proposed site.

Recognizing it is an asset to our state, Dr. Manny Sethi, a Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate, believes TVA needs more transparency to serve Tennessee best.

“East Tennesseans deserve transparency. I strongly encourage Tennesseans to make their voices heard by submitting a comment to the Tennessee Valley Authority regarding new plans for the Kingston Fossil Plant,” said Dr. Manny Sethi.

Below is Dr. Manny’s comment, which he is submitting to TVA:

It is important for the Tennessee Valley Authority to step forward and be responsive to questions that Tennesseans have about Kingston. After all the problems we have seen with mismanagement of facilities and clean up, it is imperative to get this right for the safety of Tennesseans.

East Tennesseans deserve transparency and detailed information from TVA as this process moves forward.

I believe that open meetings are an important part of transparency. I encourage TVA to open each of their meetings to the public. As Senator, I would follow the lead of the Tennessee Legislature in calling for TVA to have open meetings.

The borrow site will provide material for current and future TVA projects, including a storage landfill for coal ash.

To submit a comment, go to www.tva.com/nepa. Comments can be submitted through December 21, 2019.

31 Responses to Sethi calls for transparency over TVA coal ash site

• Lenny says:

Lost my vote. Be wary of any “Republican” who cares for the environment.

We should go 100% nuclear and then their would be no coal ash.

With all that fossil fuel lying around the U. S. why should we do an expensive thing like that? You are not turning into an environutcase are you James?

It is only expensive because they are trying to regulate it out. It is the Cleanest, Safest, and really it is the Cheapest. ‘They’ don’t want us (or the world) to have safe and clean abundance of energy.

• Cannoneer2 says:

Agreed. Fossil fuel is the past, nuclear is the future. Once we figure out getting energy from fusion rather than fission, all will be ok.

We are energy independent for the first time in memory. I have stock in companies that are expanding our LNG exporting capabilities which will be another boost to our already fabulous economy. Regarding energy, things are more than OK now! In the words of the legendary Tony The Tiger, they’re GRRRRRRREAT!

• Cannoneer2 says:

In my experience in the government landscape of environmental regulation, everything was fine and dandy for the Republicans as long as the pollution and waste were dumped off on the little guy. There are fossil fuel resources under Williamson County, but good luck mining or drilling there.

It’s all a matter of economics. Fracking is an expensive undertaking and the land in Williamson County is relatively expensive. What is the most economical use for land in the free market that should determine the use of land along with sensible regulation preventing harm to surrounding property owners. We have more than enough lightly populated land in Texas, Oklahoma etc. along with states like Pennsylvania where fracking is the best use of land to more than satisfy our energy needs. We needn’t mine and drill in Williamson County YET. If the economics change then a I have no objection to drilling/mining in Williamson County subject to sensible regulation.

• MARLE says:

Figures you have stock in fossil fuels Stuart……and besides the obvious, they are all under water for the last several YEARS since our energy independence.

They say that just showing up is 75% of the battle. Actually MARLE it’s just showing up AT THE RIGHT TIME that is everything. For example, as of last Friday my ability to hit the “buy” button at the right time re: fossil fuel stocks is illustrated as follows:

BP
            Enterprise Products Partners +16.86
            Royal Dutch Shell +7.30
            Total +1.05
            Marathon Petroleum +0.67
            Exon Mobil Corp. +2.92

Sorry, brackets obviously throws something off so its BP -9.41.

• Lenny says:

How much of that goes to your alimony?

• MARLE says:

Xom and BP and EDP and the others you mentioned are BELOW their 2015-16 price since our Energy Independence which has created a glut made worse by the Trump Trade war and other economies being dragged down as a result. Nice try, though, Stuart.

MARLE, I don’t know why you or anyone else buys stock. As for me, I buy stock either for income as part of my Grey Beard – Blue Hair (“GBBH”) Portfolio wherein dwells the following fossil fuel securities together with the income I am receiving on my original investment:

BP – 5.3%, EPD – 19.4%, RDS.B – 7.5%, and TOT – 6.1%

I also buy stock for my Cyclical Portfolio for price appreciation that at this time contains MPC and XOM that have underperformed during this cycle but are showing signs of life recently so when the market reaches an all-time-high I will probably sell at a profit. While I wait for my ship to come in I am receiving dividend income of 3.6% and 5.2% respectively from each of these fine fossil fuel stocks.

I don’t buy fossil fuel securities based on U. S. energy dependence/independence or the latest skirmish in “. . .the Trump Trade war. . .” rather I buy them to make money which I have obviously succeeded in doing. Rather than simply a “Nice try. . .” I would term my performance a “nice success.”

• MARLE says:

Some portfolio manager you are…….how bout you pick high dividend stocks that is already in the appreciation phase…..just in case the ship on those dogs you’re holding sinks rather than “eventually comes in”. I’m not given to personally bragging about wealth; it’s the quiet ones that actually have it.

Indeed bragging about wealth is boorish and impolite but what is odd, why you find the need to suddenly blurt out that you are “. . .not given to personally bragging about wealth. . .” when we were simply discussing my investing in fossil energy securities which as far as I know doesn’t require a minimum net worth or income. Interesting, don’t you think, how you interpret someone speaking about his stock selections to his “bragging about wealth.” I’m sure there is an interesting psychological reason that causes you to do that. Perhaps you can use your education in psychology that you have previously mentioned to do a little self-analysis.

To clarify, securities in my GBBH Portfolio are “forever,” that is, they are intended to be held for the growing income they produce for the rest of my life. I am not interested in their appreciation or depreciation because I have no intention of selling them though as you can see the fossil energy stocks in that portfolio have collectively appreciated as well as yielding a healthy income as intended. On the other hand, MPC and XOM are in my Cyclical Portfolio so I will sell those two fossil energy stocks whenever the market reaches its all time high and admittedly they have under performed. These two stocks, however, are only two of fifteen in my Cyclical Portfolio so I am sure you will be happy to learn that the entire Cyclical Portfolio is outperforming the market. As your friend President Trump would say, “I have beautiful securities in my two fabulous portfolios” which makes me “some portfolio manager” after all.

• MARLE says:

Like this stock mention is the first time…right, Stuart (the big contributor to all Heritage Score repubs). And then there’s the renting women so you don’t get stuck with big payouts. One time is no biggie. But over and over is, as you mentioned, boorish.

In order of appearance I have the following responses:

1. I don’t believe I ever use the word “big,” rather I use the word “significant” which is a relative term vis-a-vis the income of the contributor not the income of the organization receiving the contribution. Thus, for a middle-class individual a contribution of a few hundred dollars to anything I would consider “significant.” Given the context in which I said it, perhaps more than once, the reasonable reader should have gotten the impression of my devotion to the recipient of the donation (e.g. Cruz being President not Trump) rather than draw a conclusion about my wealth.

2. The “renting women” (i.e. “If you want to have a relationship with women – rent don’t buy”) aphorism that has obviously made such a negative impression on you was said once in regard to Steve Gill’s simultaneous domestic problems with both his first and his second wife. It was simply said as advice to men as to how to avoid the costly problems Steve found himself confronting. NOTHING TO DO WITH WEALTH, mine or Steve’s.

Don’t you find it fascinating how you accumulate offhanded remarks I make about making political contributions, how to avoid Steve Gill’s domestic problems, owning some stocks of fossil fuel companies and interpret them so as to accuse me of boasting about being a “wealthy” person? Nothing to do about this, of course. I encourage all my fellow conservatives to contribute to the cause as much as they can and am happy to use myself as an example of “walking the walk.” I will continue to encourage men to be wary of second and certainly subsequent marriages, and everyone to own stock as a wonderful way to achieving financial security. The conclusions you draw from all of that encouragement MARLE about my ulterior motives will, I am sure, continue to fascinate.

• MARLE says:

Just look at the exhaustive length of those protest postings. As Shakespeare would say “Me thinks………….

. . .he doth protest too much.” It takes only a few words to misinterpret or charge, it sometimes takes many more words to correct and explain. I take the time to do it only because of my love for my fellow man and my respect for you.

In his quest to establish a political persona for his client No Record Candidate Chairman Manny, Chris Devaney has apparently suspended throwing wads of red meat at conservatives for Christmas. A very nice gesture I say.

• I wonder what the OTHER candidates for US SENATE think. It’s interesting that we keep hearing only what the two top bidders for the senate seat have to say. “The Hill” and other media are showing their bias by not reporting the whole truth… just the part or persons they want to promote.
    Sounds a whole lot like two Tennessee Judges… who in the same way only reveal part-of-the-TRUTH to benefit their friends, the well connected.
    FAKE NEWS… FAKE JUSTICE. Oh well….

• Beatrice Shaw says:

We should utilize wind, solar and water for our energy. Cut back on fossil fuel consumption. We are destroying the world. Just look at the problems a coal ash site is causing.

Industry will NOT run on Wind/Solar/water. PERIOD. meanwhile, Communist CHINA is building 50 new Nuclear reactors. They will have it, we will not.

• Phil Lassiter says:

Crazy mindset

• LeeAnn C. says:

Wind and solar cannot produce enough power for our greedy power consumers, nor can those sources be responsive to demand. Billions of tax payer funded subsidies have been thrown at those projects and more importantly, at their investors. Biggest fraud ever pulled on the American taxpayers.

What makes our power consumers “greedy”? We are a wealthy nation with increasingly abundant sources of energy that we should use in order to maintain our standard of living. There is simply no reason for us to fall under the influence of the environutcases and impoverish ourselves by living in accordance with their fanatical obsessions.

• Pingback: Friday, December 13

• LeeAnn C. says:

Point being that those pushing for subsidies to line the pockets of wind/solar developers and their investors won’t take any measure to conserve energy use. If they were concerned about the planet imploding in 12 years, they would reduce their dependency. They don’t, so it’s all part of the hoax.