Sethi blasts Romney (and, by extension Hagerty) over refusal to endorse Trump

Republican surgeon Manny Sethi in a fundraising email blasts U.S. Sen. Mitt Romney for saying he won’t endorse President Donald Trump in next year’s election. Romney, of course, is a longtime friend and mentor to former Ambassador Bill Hagerty, who joined the Senate race last week. Sethi doesn’t mention Hagerty by name in the email blast, but points out that voters will have a choice between the “conservative outsider” and the “political establishment.”

Trump has endorsed Hagerty in the race. And Hagerty has left little opportunity unseized to sing the praises of the president. Tennessee¬†Republicans have never quite warmed to Romney, who finished third in the state’s Republican presidential primary in 2008 (behind Mike Huckabee and John McCain) and second to Rick Santorum in 2012.

Here’s the full Sethi email:

From the beginning I have said that Tennesseans will have a choice between a conservative outsider, and the political establishment.

Romney himself came out in support of my opponent. One political insider supporting another. But, you know who Senator Mitt Romney won’t endorse? Our President.

Just last week, Mitt Romney came out and said he will not endorse President Donald Trump for re-election. Wow. This is the same guy that supported a regressive carbon tax, is the father of Obamacare, and did not want to reduce capital gains taxes. And now he refuses to endorse President Trump.

I personally support and endorse President Trump, 100%. He’s doing a great job curbing illegal immigration, defeating ISIS, and delivering tax breaks to the entire country.¬† He needs a second term to accomplish even more.

Send me to Washington to work with President Trump to make that happen. Let me take on the DC establishment and career politicians who won’t stand with our President.

12 Responses to Sethi blasts Romney (and, by extension Hagerty) over refusal to endorse Trump

So Sethi is For fighting undeclared wars. Not good.

• Pingback: Tuesday, September 17

I just love that “conservative outsider” nonsense put forth by Chairman Manny’s campaign. Apparently there are some people somewhere that will vouch for the Chairman’s conservative ideology but so far there is not a shred of evidence that he is anything other than a wet establishment Republican like his opponent Bill of Central Casting. Come on Chairman, please let us see that list of conservative candidates and/or causes that have received your contributions or evangelism over the years. You do want to be elected to one of the highest offices in the country, aren’t the voters entitled to see at least a tiny bit of tangible proof that you are a real as opposed to a campaign conservative?

Oh yes, it’s “Chairman” because Sethi, the alleged “outsider,” was Chairman of the Republican establishment’s signature fundraising event, The Statesmen’s Dinner in 2016. In addition, you have to admit this “outsider” does get around. Many of us think of ourselves as outsiders, but how many of us can list former Chairmen of the Tennessee Republican Party, Chip Saltsman (long the “go-to man” of centrist/tepid conservative Republicans) and Bob Davis as close friends. In addition, lets not forget that Chairman Manny’s campaign is being run by yet another former Chairman of the Tennessee GOP Chris Devaney. WOW, if you’re going to be an “outsider” there’s nothing like being a well connected outsider don’t you think?

• MARLE says:

Why, Stuart, is Sethi calling himself and outsider all that more offensive and egregious when it seems to bother you not one wit that Marsha has been calling herself a “strong” conservative.

Both assertions are untrue.

Re: Chairman Sethi see my response. Re: Marsha see Heritage Action Scorecard – 85%. Club For Growth – 88%. Conclusion: There is no evidence whatsoever that Chairman Sethi is a conservative and its laughable to call him an outsider. On the other hand, there is all the evidence that a normal dispassionate person needs to call Marsha a solid or “strong” conservative

I would not call Marsha a strong conservative, she votes for deficit spending, more laws, more government intervention, less freedoms.

I admit she is not a “James White Conservative” but then again, very, very few are.

• MARLE says:

Good for you, James. You need a special decoder ring, obtained through years of discipleship to Heritage and CFG, to decipher Marsha’s stand as “strongly conservative”.

You apparently don’t have one of those.

• Beatrice Shaw says:

Remember, Manny’s campaign director gave us Bob Corker….who gave us the Iran we currently have. thank him at the pumps and soon at the funeral home…..

• Silence Dogood says:

At least he cares enough about being a conservative to lie to me. Will Hagerty care that much? Romney does not, clearly.

Or he’s unconscionable enough to want to get elected to one of the highest offices in the country without a any record whatsoever so he uses his wealth to buy himself campaign pros who weave some fictional story about his being a “conservative outsider.” That’s not what I call “caring.” I call that playing the voters for uninformed fools and I resent it.

Now it will be interesting to see how my friend Ward Baker decides to play the fact that his guy is Bill Hagerty From Central Casting. Will he similarly try to treat us as uninformed fools and present Hagerty as some table thumping conservative? I certainly hope not. Please Ward, just present him as an all American centrist/tepid conservative who was instrumental in Trump’s election in order to appeal to the Trumpidians so you get the clean cut/country club crowd, the Chambers of Commerce along with the Trumpidians and bingo you’ve got yourself a U. S. Senator.

Do I like it? As a conservative I HATE IT! But it is what it is and tentatively, I’ll vote for Hagerty.