Sen. Lamar Alexander won’t run again in 2020

U.S. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Maryville) attends an event at the state Capitol in Nashville on Dec. 17, 2018. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Republican U.S. Sen. Lamar Alexander, a former governor and two-time presidential candidate, won’t seek re-election in 2020.

The decision will likely set off a mad scramble among Republicans seeking to succeed him in the Senate. Alexander’s planned departure follows a decision by Tennessee junior senator Bob Corker not to run again this year.

Corker released the following statement about Alexander’s decision:

One of the highlights of my time in the Senate has been working with Lamar Alexander. I often tell him he is the legislator of the decade because of the effective way he has worked across the aisle to pass legislation that directly affects the lives of so many throughout our state and around the country. As one of the finest statesmen our state has ever seen, Lamar will leave behind a remarkable legacy. I know he will press through the next two years with great vigor, and I look forward to all he will accomplish on behalf of Tennesseans as he completes his service in Washington.

Here’s what Gov. Bill Haslam had to say:

It is almost impossible to measure the impact of Lamar Alexander’s commitment to Tennessee.  His time as governor paved the way for the economic position we enjoy today as a leading state for business, and his educational reforms were ahead of his time.  As a senator, he has distinguished himself as a national leader, while always reminding everyone that our founders designed our government for most of the power to be delegated to the states.  No one has served our state longer as a governor and senator, and few, if any, have served it better than Lamar.

20 Responses to Sen. Lamar Alexander won’t run again in 2020

This is good news, Lamar was HORRIBLE. But I suspect that Scott Golden will not allow a constitutional conservative to run for this seat. Mark My Words.

Haslam says: …his educational reforms were ahead of his time. ..” Doesn’t he know that Federal Government’s involvement in Education is Unconstitutional?

• Christina Norris says:

Haslam is referring to programs like teacher evaluation that Lamar instituted while governor. Not federal programs. Although I don’t agree with your opinion, it’s not relevant to what Haslam said.

Perhaps Haslam implied these?
        Reauthorizing Perkins Career and Technical Education Act — Alexander, as chairman of the Senate education committee, championed the bill and worked with Ivanka Trump to pass it into law, marking “a watershed moment” for the Trump administration on education policy according to Education Week
        As Chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, Alexander has led a number of hearings on issues important to Tennesseans including drug pricing, the cost of health care, reauthorizing the Higher Education Act, and apprenticeships

Name: Lamar Alexander, Senate: Tennessee, Republican, Cumulative Freedom Index Score: 52%
    Only voted FOR the constitution 52 % of the time. pitiful.

• David Collins says:

After this last election cycle, I shutter to think about who the republican party of Tennessee will nominate. One lesson I’ve learned–it can always get worse. Just when you think it can’t-it will.

No worries David. The Republican Party has a rich bench of bright, articulate, attractive conservatives who can capably fill that seat so that its occupant doubles the Heritage score of Alexander the way that Marsha will have a Heritage score double digits above Corker’s.

• Christina Norris says:

It’s sad these comments are dominated by far right voices who want to demolish the federal government and return states and cities to feudal rule. Let the poor eat cake, right boys?

• Silence Dogood says:

So I guess the recent polling was just a face saver for Lamar. Started out a plaid shirted Governor’s candidate in a pickup truck and ended up a slick RINO with Conservatives despising him. Embarrassing. Power corrupted Lamar. And I wonder what damage Lamar, like Corker, will do on his way out? As a reward to those who blindly voted for him and his lies. Another vote for Obamacare? More Federal intrusion into the world of Education? And Christina, feudal rule? lol…. I would rather have 50 tyrants with limited power than 1 tyrant with unlimited power.

• William Upton says:

I think it’s good that he isn’t running. I think his best days were about 30 years ago. I do hope the Republicans can find somebody who will be good and win. That part worries me.

• Eddie White says:

Looks like a Bill Haslam seat to me, if he decides to run….

• Kenneth Jordan says:

Lamar Alexander is a great man and has served our state honorably and well. All of us should wish he and Honey the best, following the end of his statesman service.

I’d like to see Diane or Tre in the Senate. I see the difficulties.

• Misty Pardner says:

RINO, you people are politically retarded. It is amusing how you “constitutionalists” throw around RINO as some sort of insult. I used to defend the tea party people when they called you tea baggers. The more I am around the lot of you the more I learn what a self righteous bunch of hypocrites you are. I hope Haslam runs! He has my full support! Hey, one of you TB’s, give me an example of what Haslam or Alexander did that was bad. And don’t give me some goof ball organization score.

Vote Date: July 26, 2017
      During consideration of the healthcare bill (H.R. 1628), Senator Rand Paul (R-Ky.) introduced an amendment that would have expired the expansion of Medicaid and certain taxes created under ObamaCare, prohibited healthcare plans that provide abortion coverage from qualifying for certain tax credits, banned federal funding of abortion, and repealed the individual and employer mandates created under ObamaCare.
      Lamar voted NO ! ! !
      The Senate rejected Paul’s amendment on July 26, 2017 by a vote of 45 to 55 (Roll Call 169). The government should not subsidize the killing of innocent human life, and also because Senator Paul’s amendment would have repealed extensive portions of the unconstitutional ObamaCare law.

• MarLE says:

When it comes to healthcare spending issues I am not sure that Rand Paul (whom I usually find reasonable) is a good example of clear-eyed, fiscal conservative thought. He is in favor of further Means Testing of Medicare. Punishing those who have prudently saved throughout their earning years by jacking up their monthly premiums by 3 fold is not a conservative notion to me. Now Paul wants further means testing of benefits.

• Pingback: Tuesday, December 18