Roe says he’s undecided about re-election bid to Congress

Just when everyone thought U.S. Rep. Phil Roe was certain to run for another term, the Johnson City Republican has cast new doubt on those prospects.

Roe, 74, told WJHL-TV that he will gather with his family over Christmas to decide about whether to seek a seventh term.

Rep. Phil Roe considering re-election plans, will make decision at Christmas

“The hardest part of my job is not what you would think about going to Washington,” Roe said. “That’s what we do. That’s what I’m hired to do. But it’s the travel – getting on four airplane flights a week and being away from family. That, to me, is the hard part.”

Roe had a more than $445,000 balance in his campaign account at the end of the most recent reporting period.

16 Responses to Roe says he’s undecided about re-election bid to Congress

It is true that the contest between Phil Roe (Heritage – 71%) and Chuck Fleischman (Heritage – 72%) as to who can be the most worthless Republican congressman from Tennessee is apparently a spectator sport that is popular in East Tennessee, nevertheless for conservatives the possibility of Roe finally retiring is a beautiful thought to hold this Christmas season. I believe there’s a stalwart conservative officeholder who is biding his time just waiting for Roe to be gone which will make Roe’s retirement a cause for celebration indeed.

• Phil Lassiter says:

What about John Rose? What does he do?

He is only 54 years old and he is in his initial term. Why do you question whether he will run for re-election?

BTW, so far Rose has proven to be much more conservative than I expected. His hiring of Van Hilleary as his Chief of Staff was reassuring and he is sitting with a Heritage score of 96% early in his congressional career. When he received financial support in the 2018 Republican primary from members of the Bone family, infamous bundlers for Democratic candidates, I feared the worst, but so far so good.

• Misty Pardner says:

If I were one of the Hill brothers I would not accept an invitation to go hunting from VanHuss in the next year.

• Beatrice Shaw says:

What does this even mean?

It means that the Hill brothers and VanHuss are fine solid conservatives and they are all in the First Congressional District of Tennessee so Misty suspects that they are all interested in succeeding Phil Roe. Ah, such an abundance of riches (in contrast to the current dreadful Senate race) you can see why conservatives are so anxious to see ROE GO! Of course, there is such a thing as having too much abundance so hopefully these three will sort it all out so we have only one of them run in the Republican primary that will be sure to take place when the First District seat is vacant.

• Misty Pardner says:

Bless your heart, Beatrice.

• Kosh III says:

“But it’s the travel – getting on four airplane flights a week”

No one is forcing you to waste a lot of time traveling back and forth weekly. At one time Congresspersons and Senators would go to DC and stay for the whole session, leaving the family behind.

If you need to be in touch back home there is this thing called telephone, email, video chat and much more.

Stay there and do your fraking job.

Oh good grief Kosh please don’t give him any ideas! We don’t want him to “Stay there. . .” because if he does he will continue to do his “. . .fraking job” much to the detriment of us all.

Our two members of the House Freedom Caucus DesJarlais and Green have an outstanding record on immigration as they do on other issues. It is great to see the “A’s” received by our two new Republican congressmen Burchett and Rose as further evidence that Tennessee’s Republican delegation in the House is growing increasingly conservative. Congratulations to Phil Roe for being definitively less worthless than Chuck Fleischman on immigration. Finally, the dreadful score achieved by Kustoff (Heritage – 88%) is a surprise.

• Phil Lassiter says:

Only a self funded candidate that can grease all the wheels can win in Tennessee. Whoever that is will be Congressman from East TN. Does not matter their record

• Beatrice Shaw says:

Tennessee needs another strong Democrat. I’m not going to write out all the sex and drug and money scandals that are enveloping the Republicans…..the more I learn about this place and the leadership the more I fear for my children and their future. How can the head of the Republican party survive with all these scandals?