Rand Paul endorses Sethi in Tennessee U.S. Senate race

U.S. Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) is endorsing Manny Sethi’s bis for the Republican nomination to succeed  Sen. Lamar Alexander.

“Tennessee deserves a true conservative who supports President Trump, is pro-liberty, and will fight out-of-control federal spending,” Paul said in a release. “I believe Dr. Manny is the right choice, like me, he’s a physician, not another politician. We need more outsiders in Washington, and I’m proud to endorse him today.”

Sethi’s rivals for the nomination include former Ambassador Bill Hagerty and Memphis broadcaster George Flinn.

25 Responses to Rand Paul endorses Sethi in Tennessee U.S. Senate race

Say it isn’t so Rand. Say it isn’t so.

• John says:

When are you going to learn? Lifelong NYC Democrat and Pelosi / Hillary campaign max donor Donald John Trump loves RINOs like Hagerty. I thought you were a real conservative. You sound like a Haslam toady.

John, you should archive my stuff so it is easily accessible. I say this because I have made it quite clear that while unquestionably I am going to vote for Trump, I am not a Trumpidian. In my reply to me below I repeat my misgivings about Hagerty and the only reason that I am voting for him is in order to defeat The Chairman who sorely needs defeating.

Sorry for the emotional outpouring. I forgive Rand. You see up in Kentucky all he knows is that Hagerty is an Establishment Republican candidate from Central Casting which means ordinarily he is to be shunned by libertarian conservatives like Rand and myself. Rand is, however, unaware of the game Establishment Republicans and their hangers-on play here in Tennessee doing nothing for the conservative movement despite easily having the means to do so then running as a Rambo conservative at election time. In that role it is The Chairman who is from Central Casting. Vote Hagerty!

I like Rand ok, he is Not as Good as his Dad… And Massey is Great, Kentucky should be proud.
    This is good news!

Oh, Hagerty is Deep State to the bone.

• Far right wing of party. Nearly extinct species. Sign of for sure end to Sethi. Devaney will lose his $12 or so k a month non end of August. Anyone need a Very game conservative? He will be available

• MARLE says:

Sometime you just can’t stand the thought of One More Lap Dog in the Trump pound. No doubt this was uppermost in Rand Paul’s thinking.

Very good, I certainly see your point. What an absolutely disappointing, dreary Senate election.

• MARLE says:

This is the slim pickins you get in the Era of Trump. The party either nominates someone who will fall in line or Trump will go on a multi-month-long twitter attack against anyone with back bone and ideological integrity. If he gets 4 more years there won’t be one appointee on whom he doesn’t “have pictures”. What else could explain Fed Chair Powell?

Lame duck Presidents or any officeholder have less power in their final term that’s why term limits are BAD.

• Eddie White says:

This kind of stuff is why Biden has a chance. The left is on a rampage in America, and some so called conservatives are worried about Trump’s twitter account. Give us more tepid conservatism please.

Eddie, the worst kinds of divisive Never Trumpers are centrist/tepid conservative Republicans. If you are worried about presenting a unified front against the left these are the last people you should wish for.

MARLE deeply dislikes Marsha as well as Trump. Come to think of it, I am not certain exactly how conservative she is anyway. She definitely shows no evidence of rising to the level of my right-wing zealotry. PLEASE don’t allow her to make you wish for tepid conservatives at a time when the leftist hordes are scaling the parapet and we need an energized Republican Party firmly committed to opposing them at every turn.

• MARLE says:

neither marsha nor donald are even close to as conservative as i am. We wouldn’t have 25 T in debt if it were up to me. We would never be speaking in glowing terms of Dreamers and their parents. We would have never put Fauci and Birx in charge of our economy for 4 months. The list is endless. But i’ll stop here

Nor I, but (1) we don’t hold elective office nor could we given our outre ideology, and (2) I believe we have to play the game with the team on the field, there really is no other choice, so lets pick the best of the lot to make up the team and make the best of it.

Eddie, Colin Powell just endorsed Biden. See what I mean about centrist Republicans?

• LeeAnn C. says:

Hmm…the story keeps changing on ‘who is Dr. Manny’. Now he’s a libertarian doctor like the KY ophthalmologist, who in spite of running for Senate twice, tries to brand himself as ‘not a politician’. Last I checked, one running for office is a ‘politician’. If they repeatedly run for office, they’re most definitely a ‘politician’.

If the ‘Chairman’ as Stuart calls him, or ‘Captain Obvious’ as I like to call him, is such a ‘conservative’ why did he contribute to Grant Starrett in his run against Freedom Caucus member, DR. Scott DesJarlais? The doctor comradery wasn’t so strong then, I suppose. And again, back in 2008, he was a fan of the American Medical Association PAC – supporting who for president? Obama! And further, the AMA was in the tank for Obamacare. That also was the year he contributed to ACT BLUE, the fundraising arm of the Democrat Party. Then again, he was living in Massachusetts at the time. Perhaps he’s just a chameleon. “True” conservative? I think not. More likely an empty suit!

• John says:

Hagerty is as much of a chameleon as Sethi. Hagerty just has the advantage of having always been a home-state carpetbagger.

John, why do you insist on making this stupid U.S. Senate race more complicated than it needs to be? If you’re trying to decide who is more conservative around their dinner table between Hagerty and The Chairman, good luck, it’s like trying to decide which is the more attractive soybean in a bottle.

The only reason for conservatives to even bother to vote in the Republican Primary this August (with the exception of conservatives in the First District who have a vital task before them in voting for the fabulous Timothy Hill (ACU-88%) is to teach Republican plutocrats with political ambitions don’t you dare show up running for high office as a Rambo conservative without a record of supporting the conservative movement and the way to do that is to VOTE HAGERTY.

• John says:

Yes, William Francis Hagerty IV, who is staking his entire campaign on the endorsement of Donald John Trump Jr., is the furthest thing from a plutocrat pretending to be a Rambo conservative.

Good grief John, we’re not communicating. It is THE CHAIRMAN who is a plutocrat pretending to be a Rambo conservative!!! Thus far, I’m happy to say that Hagerty is, as you say, staking his campaign on Trump’s endorsement otherwise running as what he is, a gentleman Establishment Republican candidate from Central Casting who will get to the Senate, be a reliable Trump ally for four years, then have what I hope is a Heritage 75%ish voting record. Anything higher than that I will be ecstatic. VOTE HAGERTY.

• Grant Starrett is one of the most obscene people ever to run.