New Hagerty ad touts business experience (and Trump)

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Bill Hagerty’s latest TV ad touts his business experience. But don’t call it a pivot — the 30-second spot still contains three references to President Donald Trump.

Here’s what the transcript:

Just like President Trump, Bill Hagerty is a can-do  businessman. Hagerty led economic development in Tennessee, making our economy one of the strongest in America. That’s why President Trump put Hagerty on his advisory board to rebuild America’s economy.  Bill Hagerty will fight to bring manufacturing jobs back from China while cutting taxes for small businesses and workers. Endorsed by President Trump, Bill Hagerty is the proven job creator.

57 Responses to New Hagerty ad touts business experience (and Trump)

What makes this race interesting is not the candidates, Lord knows, but the psephological contest between two great masters of the game Ward Baker and Chris Devaney. Now we see Ward turning the campaign toward Hagerty’s relevant experience in governmental economic planning as contrasted to The Chairman’s experience connecting the hip bone to the thigh bone. VOTE HAGERTY!

• Mark Rogers says:

Odd how he can tout hia business experience and never mention that he worked for Bain Capitol with Mitt Romney. I wonder why Ambassador Hagerty never references his close ties to Romney. For that matter, he never mentions his ties to the Bush family either. Like being a Bush delegate candidate in 2016.

• LeeAnn C. says:

Have you met Bill Hagerty? Or attended any of the public gatherings where he has spoken? You really should seek out those opportunities because you’ll find him very forthcoming regarding his business background and associations.

Since you’re such an avid history buff, you surely realize the diversity of the Republican field of candidates in December of 2015 when petitions were due for delegates to be placed on the ballot. Of the many names of candidates for delegates (148 at large and countless congressional district), I find no reference to the prominent 2020 Senate candidates. Why would anyone lay so low in participation in the Republican party as to be undetected….until announcing candidacy?

• LeeAnn C. says:

correction…yes Hagerty was on the ballot as a delegate….where were the others?

• Cannoneer2 says:

Like most of these candidates with “business experience”, I expect that Hagerty will give the little guy “the business”.

“little guy,” “big guy,” “medium guy” What nonsensical labels to put on people. As if upon election Hagerty, or even The Chairman, will have nothing else to do except while away their time sitting in the Senate plotting ways to “. . .give the little guy ‘the business.'”

• Cannoneer2 says:

Stuart, your reference for this is “War on the Little Guy” by John Stossel. Little guy refers to the man or woman who gets up every day and goes to work, probably has had stagnant wages and reduced benefits for years in spite of increased productivity. The person who HAS to work to live, and doesn’t personally know any politicians who are willing to carve out special exemptions for them in the law, or find them a comfortable and protected six figure salaried job somewhere in government. Don’t blithely dismiss that type, there are millions of them.

I don’t “blithely dismiss” any individual, but I do have a reflex disinclination to recognize groups into which political types want to cut and dice our population. The little guys as you describe them make up the vast majority of the electorate. They choose the government. If they don’t pay attention and/or don’t show up to vote then they, as a group, deserve whatever government that they get.

• Cannoneer2 says:

I’m just saying that the Republicans would do well to take better care of their supporters in the middle class and quit being as concerned about corporate cronies. If middle class Republican voters get angry about all of the fawning over big business interests and vote Democrat as a protest, the country may be in trouble long term. If we head toward Socialism, with a large poor working class and a small group of rich elites, we are in big trouble.

• MARLE says:

Cannon……the “little guy” going to work for stagnant wages is ONLY more productive b/c of the technology (which costs money) provided by his employer. That technology must be maintained, upgraded, replaced etc and that explains why all the increased productivity does not belong, based on productivity, in the pocket of the worker.

The worker who once used a shovel, when given a backhoe, doesn’t deserve all benefit from this increased productivity. He deserves the fractional part that represents his mastery of the gears on a backhoe.

• LeeAnn C. says:

HA! Thanks for the humorous reference to the Orthopedic Surgeon’s lack of experience…or any bona fide ‘conservative’ evidence!

• Mark Rogers says:

LeeAnn C.,

Was Hagerty on the ballot as a candidate to be a Bush delegate in 2016?

Didn’t he work for Bain Capital and in the Romney campaign in 2012?

• ! says:

Yes – where were any of the other Senate candidates? Non-participants?

In 2012, I voted for Romney (while holding my nose) and had a sign in my yard. In 2008, I held my nose (at the request of McCain’s mother) and voted for McCain. Why? Neither was OBAMA! Did you do ANYthing to stop the insanity of the empty suit president?

Who did the other Senate candidates support in 2012? Did they even participate in the political process? At all?

Stop the sanctimonious finger-pointing and take a deeper look at whoever it is for whom you’re advocating. The last thing Tennessee needs at this point is another fake conservative like Bill Lee. Stuart has it right – do not EVER vote for a no record candidate again!

Deep State Hagerty, do not vote for that guy.

• Diana Page says:

It’s so puzzling that with plenty of examples, people still think that business experience is good training for public service.

You think that’s “puzzling” Diana, you must think it absolutely BIZARRE that anyone would think that being a surgeon with only the most scanty involvement in politics of any kind qualifies one to move directly into being one of two U. S. Senators from the State of Tennessee.

• B Bullington says:

Y’all only mention Hagerty and Sethi as if they are the only two running, when in fact there are several. I won’t be voting for either self serving Hagerty orSethi. My vote will go to a “working man” who will have the best interests of We The People. Someone who will defend The Second Amendment, who will push for term limits, and will fight to keep our Constitution front and center as his guideline while in office.
        #ProudMemberOfThePettigrewPosse
        AARONPETTIGREWFORTENNESSEE.COM

• LeeAnn C. says:

Yes – where were any of the other Senate candidates? Non-participants?

• Mark Rogers says:

And what about 2016? How did Hagerty go from being a Bushie to a Tumper?

Hagerty’s whole career is Establishment until he had the chance to get a Senate seat. What about him says ‘Conservative’ until now? His close ties to Bob Corker and Bill Haslam?

• LeeAnn C. says:

Well, Mark, the best way would be to ask the candidate. Since Bush didn’t get the nomination, it doesn’t take very strong thinking skills to figure out that Republicans that supported Jeb had to support Trump or no one. I supported Cruz in the primary and adjusted when Trump won the nomination. What did you do?

I’ve checked my candidate. Funny about that term ‘establishment’. Better check your candidate. Some of the other Senate candidates have sent money to Corker – when he wasn’t even opposed.

Establishment? Did anyone say Establishment? Reminds me of back in 2016 when the Establishment was looking for a chairman for its flagship fundraising event The Statesmen’s Dinner up popped Dr. CONSERVATIVE-OUTSIDER for the role. Of course, he probably had the inside track for the position considering he is BFF with past GOP Chairmen Bob Davis, Chip Saltsman, as well as former Sen. Bill Frist. Yesireee, if your gonna be an “OUTSIDER” it’s best to be a well-connected outsider don’t you think? What a farce, VOTE HAGERTY.

• MARLE says:

I am getting pretty fed up with targeted tax cuts that, in effect, treat different Americans making the same income in remarkably different ways. I’d like a candidate who doesn’t think the Fed gov should use the tax code to pick winners and losers. Guess Haggerty is just another one who loves seeing the Government use its power to do just that.

Keep on ratcheting up your requirements for candidate and you will either stay home or join James and vote for a candidate who will throw a victory party if he gets 1% of the vote. Whether you like it or not one of these two blokes is going to be our next U. S. Senator and making The Chairman a U. S. Senator is just too preposterous for words so why don’t you just join me and vote for Hagerty and move on.

• MARLE says:

Using the government to pick winners and losers is Not conservative. Voting for the lesser of two evils long enough and you end up in a not so good place. Politicians certainly thank you for allowing them to shed integrity, standards, truthfullness and the like in deference to simply being “not as bad as the other guy”

Well stop voting for evil.

• MARLE says:

I voted for Trump. so I may just consider your advice this time around. Thanks, James

• Eddie White says:

Might as well for Biden if you don’t like Trump. Voting 3rd party is the same as a vote for Biden. Hard to understand why any true conservative would not vote for Trump in 2020. But there are those who will never be happy with any candidate.

I like the Constitution Party and they have good candidates.

• Eddie White says:

The Constitution Party probably have some positions I would like as well. But I realize I am wasting my vote, and in fact helping the more liberal candidates get elected. Voting 3rd party may help you feel better, but only hurts the conservative candidates.

Is the Constitution Party still around? I hope so. I have voted Constitution when I simply couldn’t bear the Republican nominee (e,g, McCain, second terms of “Lips” Bush and “Uniter” Bush).

We don’t have any ‘conservative’ candidates in the republican party, we have people that being in government is the Best job they will ever have, and if they are a politician, they will work hard for only one thing: to get reelected. They will go they way the wind blows, not following the constitution or even conservatism, just Get Elected.

And Republicans so instinctively head for the tall grass at the first sound of the cannons that instead of making the point that the Jacobins in Minneapolis, Seattle etc. are the result of leftist mayors and liberal governors in the Democratic Party, they fall silent. Silence that is only broken by President Blowhard foolishly carrying a bible (which, given his history is risible in itself) to a church he wouldn’t dream of attending, belonging to the most liberal denomination of all mainline Protestant denominations and thus most sympathetic to the Jacobins while Republicans in the Senate seem ready to go along with even more federal interference with state and local policing and renaming military bases to try to satisfy the Jacobins. All in all, like the reaction of Louis XVI’s government to the original Jacobins, it doesn’t cause one to look to the future optimistically.

Thanks Stuart, good analysis.

• JIM GARRETT says:

Just a personal observation – it seems to me the key point of each ad from Hagerty is devoted to driving home the point he is “endorsed” by the President. How he got that endorsement we will never know the true story but it is what it is.

Only if you live in a cave in Kandahar Jim. In 2016 Hagerty became an early supporter of Trump when he held the position of Tennessee state director of the campaign. Now Trump is returning the favor after making him ambassador to Japan by endorsing him for U. S. Senate.

• Mark Rogers says:

“Early supporter of Trump.” After he supported Jeb Bush.

You tend to ignore important facts.

Jim asked a question with perhaps an ominous tone and I matter-of-factly gave him the answer to his question. You bring up an important facet about Hagerty’s background, one which causes me not to share LeeAnn’s enthusiasm for the man, but one which has nothing to do with why Trump endorsed him. Hagerty is an instrument to defeat Chairman Manny, nothing more.

• LeeAnn C. says:

Mark, even though you NEVER answer any questions, I’ll clear this up for you – again. Hagerty supported Trump when he won the primary AND worked for his success in the Presidential Election in the Victory Campaign. So did I – after supporting Ted Cruz for the primary.

I assume you support Captain Obvious, who now claims that he ‘supports Trump’ when he didn’t even make a single contribution until October 2019 – AFTER he announced candidacy in the U.S. Senate. He also cannot possibly have credibility as a ‘conservative’ after sending a donation to Corker and to Californian Grant Starrett (challenging Freedom Caucus member Scott DesJarlais). Vote for Hagerty!

If I had public tax dollars to throw into the air for corporations to race toward and gobble up, could I put “business experience” and “built an economy” on my resume, too?

Corporations know Tennessee for the sucker state it is.

If you had a medical degree from Harvard Medical School and spent all your time since in a medical practice of such intensity allowing you to amass enough money so as to plunk down $1.5 million on a long-shot political adventure having spent almost no time in politics or government would you have enough narcissism to assert that you are qualified to be a U. S. Senator?

Like Hagerty ain’t a millionaire.

Totally missed the point James. I am a conservative with a libertarian seasoning, I certainly am not hostile to someone who has been successful in the free market. The point is that The Chairman is a political dilettante who is not qualified to be a U. S. Senator.

Well does your boy Hagerty supports Abortion for cases of rape , incest, or life of the mother like Conservative Libertarian MARSHA BLACKBURN?

“not qualified to be a U. S. Senator” ?????? Well I look at the U.S. Constitution (you should too) and it give all the qualifications needed. I think Sethi is qualified.

1, Don’t know and I don’t care about his or anybody’s stand on abortion, but I believe the correct libertarian position is to not want the government to tell a woman that she has to carry a child for nine months under those circumstances. Marsha (Heritage-85%) is correct, as she is about 85% of the time

2. No question he is legally qualified but his lack of conservative political credentials when he asserts that he has such credentials should disqualify him and any Anemic Record Candidate from HIGH political office for conservatives.

• Eddie White says:

Stuart, I guess the closest thing to a Libertarian in the senate is Rand Paul and he has endorsed the doctor in this race. I really don’t have a candidate, not excited about either one. If your libertarian seasoning becomes too strong, you might see if the Libertarian Party is running a candidate. Your views on abortion are certainly more in step with the Democrats than the Republicans.

Eddie, if I had to list all the possible issues that we have to consider in any election in order of importance to me I can’t think of one less important than abortion. If the Supreme Courts didn’t usurp the right of the states to decide this issue and it was left up to the state of Tennessee I would vote “choice” and I would lose as this state would go “life” and I assure you it would not effect my ability to live happily ever after in this great state in the least.

No level of government should subsidize or make provision for the killing of innocent human life.

• Eddie White says:

Conservatives support and protect the right to life, that includes the unborn. That is the most basic right. It really does not matter what other credentials a”conservative candidate “ claims, if they are pro-choice, skip their name on the ballot.

Fix the Roads

• David Collins says:

Stuart may be right about electing person whose only qualifications are that he is a doctor. Remember Bill Frist? What a disaster he was as a senator. Hagerty’s ads say he is “100% for Trump”, so, If you want the deficits and the size of the federal government to keep growing–Hagerty is your guy!

David if you are looking for a conservative, YOU’RE IN THE WRONG ELECTION! (As an alternative I suggest Timothy Hill’s candidacy for U.S. Congress in the TN’s First District.) It’s simply a matter that we are going to have another senator replacing Alexander next January and it’s going to be Hagerty or The Chairman. Now are you going to participate in choosing that senator or not?
      Hagerty is “my guy” because The Chairman is most definitely NOT my guy. The Chairman is not my guy because I’m a conservative so I want every election to further the conservative movement. For that to happen in this senate race conservatives must not reward an individual whose campaign alleges he is a table pounding conservative when, in fact, his scanty political record shows no involvement whatsoever in he conservative movement despite The Chairman being a man of great wealth. His campaign is a fraud and he should be resoundingly defeated because of that. Hagerty’s only role in all of this is acting as the instrument to bring that defeat about. Otherwise he is an uninteresting Establishment Republican candidate from Central Casting who I ordinarily wouldn’t dream of supporting were it not for the screaming unacceptability of the alternative.

Hill voted For an Article V Constitutional Convention, imagine Soros thaking control of the convention. No to Hill.

• MARLE says:

Isn’t a message sent to the Party to stop choosing non-conservatives IF you fund them when they present you with a nose-holding, lesser-of-2-evils sort of option. Withhold funds from all candidates or, as should seem obvious by now, you’ll get more of the same.

The current tall grass dwelling Republican Party is not fit for purpose and I haven’t sent it a dime for many years. I don’t send lesser of two or more evil candidates money. I voted for Diane Black and I will vote for Bill Hagerty but I wouldn’t dream of sending either a dime. I only fund candidates about whom I am enthused like Timothy Hill (ACU-88%), Gina Oster (Dist. 18 who is running against the highly undesirable Eddie Mannis), and Rusty Grills (Dist. 77).

• Thomas says:

You might as well vote for a Democrat as to vote for a “RINO” like Hagarty,

He is another one of those “Swamp Creatures”, Birds of a feather, flock together. Romney/Hagerty.

People who are so ignorant they can only vote for “Known Politicians” instead of ordinary citizens like themselves, and keep restocking the swamp every election, Shouldn’t be expecting any changes in Washington.

There’s several other people running for that office, but not swamp creatures, the GOP doesn’t like them.