Lee to community newspapers: ‘In this battle, heroes stay home’

Gov. Bill Lee speaks at a press conference on Tennessee’s coronavirus response in Nashville on March 16, 2020. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Gov. Bill Lee in a conference call with community newspapers thanked the publications for providing key information about the state’s coronavirus response to their readerships.

“We are in a war,” Lee said in the call, according to the Buffalo River Review. “And in this battle, heroes stay home.”

Lee said the administration was working to provide personal protective equipment to rural communities and looking for ways increase the number of healthcare workers to prepare for a surge in coronavirus cases.

“Tennesseans can help with that surge by staying at home,” Lee said. “We are the leading state for testing per capita, and the most aggressive in testing nationwide.”

Lee acknowledged the “overwhelming impact” the virus has had on tourism around the state.

“Business owners are bearing the brunt of the safer at home order,” Lee said. “In the short term it is incredibly painful, but know that I understand them and hear them, and will do everything we can to help them.”

26 Responses to Lee to community newspapers: ‘In this battle, heroes stay home’

Makes you wonder if #LeeTheTyrant will make an Illegal Executive Order to stop all the media.

• MARLE says:

Unless you are testing every day you only know that you don’t have during the one nano-second in time.

OK folks, enough is enough. Much after April 30th EVERYBODY BACK TO WORK!

• MARLE says:

And exactly how would that work Stuart? Hardly anyone has gotten immunity b/c we have been locked away from that potential. If we HAD been allowed to get that we Could safely go back to work but now all we will be doing is exposing ourselves, our families, and our “granddaddys and nanas” to the virus we bring home.

There is every reason, as even Liberal Sanjay Gupta says, to believe getting this virus means antibody immunity~ as it has done with every other coronavirus we have dealt with over the decades. So, IRONICALLY, it is those who got his and survived 99+% of the healthy and non-compromised who Were NOT on lock-down who are now in the Catbird seat.

What is done is done. On May 1st everybody should resume there normal life except the old and chronically ill who will simply have to make special accommodations for themselves until at least a cure for the Chinese virus is found. Even an effective mask would do. We simply cannot impoverish the entire country do to the susceptibility of a few.

• Beatrice Shaw says:

No way schools are restarting. We need more resources for teachers who are answering phone calls all day during online learning.

Sorry, I believe teachers are already getting paid for not teaching, (I mean now that they are off from work, not what they do when they are actually working). Now you want to pay them even more for not working. Another well thought out policy prescription from our Bleeding Heart Beatrice!

• MARLE says:

What’s done is done? When did conservatives Ever take that attitude when Obama made Huge mistakes? This whole fiasco needs a microscopic disection.

After the fact, by all means! But now, we simply have to plan to unravel this mess because what it done is done.

• MARLE says:

No….examination delayed is examination denied. Conservatives Never get around to holding him accountable. And THIS, letting pointy-headed researchers with a penchant for the camera, have control of driving this bus is blameworthy in the Present. Dr Fauci and Dr Birx were completely of Trump’s making.

Republicans NATO, No Action, Talk Only

• LeeAnn C. says:

I’m so disgusted with this ‘be a hero, stay home’ mentality. We now know that the models are wrong, the White House doctors are exaggerating and have been exaggerating the mortality rate, our bureaucracies are ill equipped to even send out checks in a timely manner and the Democrats are chomping at the bit to spend billion$ more. Time to give everyone a reasonable preventive health advisory and let everyone that is not immune compromised to go back to work and school. Enough is enough and it’s NOT heroic to stay at home any longer! It’s foolishness!

• MARLE says:

When a war is fought the 4F’s and the old folk stay home and let the young and healthy fight. Had we let the young and healthy OUT of confinement they’d now have antibodies and, apparently, be able to offer their blood/plasma to others.

The comparison falls flat, Gov. Lee

• MARLE says:

“The CDC also plans to release guidance Wednesday that could allow people who have been close to positive COVID-19 individuals — but remain asymptomatic — to return to work, Vice President Mike Pence said at Tuesday’s White House briefing”

HERD Immunity….now after destroying the economy, adding 6T to debt and keeping everyone STILL not immune b/c of lock downs NOW we’re going to allow, after 3 Wasted months, ~Herd Immunity

R U KIDDING ME?

goolgl this: ““With all respiratory diseases, the only thing that stops the disease is herd immunity,” Wittkowski told the PPP. “About 80% of the people need to have had contact with the virus, and the majority of them won’t even have recognized that they were infected, or they had very, very mild symptoms, especially if they are children.”

This is not conjecture. For example, consider that among 60 blood donors in one northern Italian town, 40 tested positive for Wuhan virus antibodies — meaning, they’d contracted the disease but had no symptoms and are now immune. Moreover, one study holds that half of Britain was already infected with the virus in late March already.

“So, it’s very important to keep the schools open and kids mingling to spread the virus to get herd immunity as fast as possible,” Wittkowski continued, “and then the elderly people, who should be separated, and the nursing homes should be closed during that time, can come back and meet their children and grandchildren after about 4 weeks when the virus has been exterminated.”

Wittkowski said earlier in the interview that children should “keep going to school and infecting each other.” This may sound odd. But it’s precisely what’s done, purposely, at “infection parties” — events where parents purposely expose their children to, let’s say, a chicken pox-infected kid — to develop group immunity and avoid more serious disease-related issues later in life. “

People over 50 have weakened immune systems, immune systems in decline, immune systems that have already begun to make mistakes, with the exceptions of some genetically blessed individuals and those who exercise almost daily in a strenuous activity. Serious exercise boosts older immune systems to match those of much younger people. Most people in their 50s, 60s, 70s don’t do that kind of exercise. They aren’t out running every morning like Bill Haslam. Or cycling, which is what the older subjects were doing in a study I read.

So, most people over 50 are at risk of death from this new virus. Be realistic about so-called herd immunity. We are not just talking about the elderly. We are talking average middle-aged people. Their immune functions are in age decline, so they are at risk. They must work for a living and cannot isolate.

• MARLE says:

What, Donna, is the Death Toll (not rate) of those in the USA who are over 50 with no underlying other than age?

I am not accepting that the immune system is sufficiently stressed by age 50 enough to compromise the ability to sustain a defense against Covid; so the Better Death Toll numbers would be by short intervals ie group 50-55, 55-60, 60-65.

This data should be easy to find since the test for Covid should be given to every deceased person with upper respiratory indications.

• MARLE says:

Most people over 50 are at risk of death, Period from lots of things. The question is What level of risk.

“They must work and cannot isolate”. So the solution is to have the other 65% of Americans stay at home until this virus is vanquished by a vaccine?

• Phil Lassiter says:

This article totally overlooks the terrorist attack in Knox County at Pilot Oil

Minnesota State Senator Dr. Scott Jensen disclosed yesterday that the state’s health department has suggested attributing deaths to COVID-19 even without a confirmed diagnosis.

• MARLE says:

That CDC chart shows that in ages 45+, for EACH age Bracket….. there are at least 8 Times MORE deaths from Pneumonia from Feb to April 8. than from covid.

In younger people that figure has an even Greater multiple.

But we need to FEAR covid and went completely about our business Each Year for decades Dis-regarding the possibility of Death From Pneumonia and the Seasonal Flu

Well, I got to Kroger before it opened this morning and waited in the car a bit, watching people walk by wearing various kinds of inventive face masks. Sixty years ago, that shopping strip was beautiful woods and fields so secluded and quiet it was surreal even then. I played there with my sister and friends when I was a kid.

That’s what I see when I’m there–what used to be there.

I wondered what I would have thought about these people wearing masks in the future. I think I would have thought, You mean the Martians didn’t get us? Or I’d figure the Russians finally bombed us. That was what the TV shows and movies and news were telling us in the Fifties and Sixties.

Skeeter Davis started singing “The End of the World” in my head, and I thought, that seems excessive. Everybody in the parking lot looked pretty happy and unworried. Skeeter stopped singing, and I heard Keith Moon on drums. I have no idea what that was about. Keith is of course dead. So is Skeeter.

I left my homemade mask in the car and lined up at a distance with the folks who looked like store robbers. The men were laughing. The women were focused. I felt good about my chances. I won the 100-yard dash in the sixth grade.

Kroger opened the doors, and we swarmed toward the paper goods, and lo and behold, the shelves were not empty. April 9 has, inexplicably, been a very lucky day for me in the past. Today was, too. I dashed through checkout with my limit and headed to Walmart and hit the jackpot again. Last week I hit five stores before 7:30 a.m. with no luck whatsoever.

I don’t know, but today I’m feeling I can see for miles and miles. And miles.