Kustoff won’t run for Senate

U.S. Rep. David Kustoff (R-Memphis) has decided against running for the Senate next year. President Donald Trump has tweeted that U.S. Ambassador Bill Hagerty will seek the seat being vacated by Lamar Alexander (R-Maryville). Vanderbilt surgeon Manny Sethi joined the race before former Gov. Bill Halsam announced he wouldn’t run.

Meanwhile, the Knoxville News Sentinel reports another doctor, Josh Gapp, is running as a Republican.

Former lawmaker, ex-GOP chairman, and current lobbyist Ryan Haynes was surprised to see his name floated among potential Senate candidates. He’s not running.

19 Responses to Kustoff won’t run for Senate

There’s still plenty of time for a candidate with a solid, consistent conservative record to run. Surely, after waiting forever to replace Lamar and with so many solid conservative officeholders and conservative activists in this state ONE of them is interested in being a U. S. Senator. It’s not a bad job really, six year terms and only 100 of them in the country, etc.

In the meantime, Manny don’t you drop out! In fact, since neither Hagerty nor Sethi are household names we need a few more centrist plutocrats to run in order to balkanize the “wet” vote.

• Phil Lassiter says:

Takes $$$. No conservatives can raise the $$-even if they have the ‘chops’. EG:

Ron Ramsey

• MARLE says:

When the Emperor Tweets all the lap dogs howl in wild approval.

• Lenny says:

This is just a distraction. You need to look into Bill Lee’s bribes for vouchers. Nobody cares who the junior senator from Tennessee will be.

Phil/Marle, OK I will admit it’s an uphill slog given Hagerty’s money and Trump’s endorsement but it’s too early to surrender in despair. In a year from now faced with a choice of Hagerty/Sethi we will have to make a choice or perhaps make no choice at all in view of the fact that we will be faced with no choice at all.

• Lenny says:

Nobody cares. The junior senator from Tennessee will be a joke no matter their party or ideology. Get worked up over nothing. They will never be in office long enough to please anyone.

Let’s focus on the upcoming special election for governor.

Manny, don’t listen to Stuart aka Scott G… His ‘conservative’ Republicans have done nothing and are doing the same thing the Democrats are. They have increased the DEBT to 22 TRILLION, They have kept US in constant War thus costing Trillions and innocent lives, They have Not fixed ANYTHING, and Stuart/Scott’s Republicans have no plan. They say they will but NOTHING changes. Just More Debt, More Regulation and Less Freedom.

So you want Manny to drop out so as of now the race is left solely to Hagerty, a Bush/Romney centrist Republican from central casting so he can occupy one of Tennessee’s Senate seats and vote precisely the way you incessantly complain about. As usual James, you are so good about complaining and whining but so bad at having a coherent plan when elections roll around which unfortunately is the only time you can do anything about your complaints.

No, I do NOT want Manny to drop out. I just don’t want him to kowtow to Stuart ‘Conservatism’.

• Eddie White says:

James, you always want the guy with no voting record! I wonder why? Because no one else in office is a constitutionalist by your narrow standards. I guess you could run and vote for yourself…

• MARLE says:

Seems that’s what Trump and his lap dogs want, Stuart. If you were important enough to any of them you’d be the subject of Trump loathsome tweets your own d— self for daring to defy the Emperor.

That’s right. Nothing ever actually changes. And we still don’t have mandatory E-Verify at the national or at least the state level. The Republicans feed you a line/script while parroting “best place to live, work, and raise a family.” I am not in a hypnotic trance yet from that, so I’m still questioning my lyin’ eyes.

If you’re anybody but the middle-class hamsters, you may be getting something other than the short end. A lot of free stuff is flying out at an increasing pace.

The Republicans will be out of business pretty soon, but they’ll have their lifetime pensions and health care if they can rack up enough years before then.

Vote for sane independents.

But Donna, “independents” sane or not don’t have a chance of getting elected so going to the trouble of sorting through the independents to find out the platform of each is such a wasted effort. Solid conservatives are immigration skeptics to one extent or another so wouldn’t it be better to simply support the most solid conservative Republican with a reasonable chance to be successful? That’s the best we can do to reduce immigration into this country. Voting for independents with no chance of winning is pointless so why do it?

Do it because it is the opposite of the definition of psychosis.

I’ve compromised by voting for Republicans. If I’m getting nothing out of it, I may as well vote for something else — I have other issues of interest to me — or sit it out without voting, which I’ve done in some races the past few years.

Republicans as such hold only a small share of the polled. More people identify as independents. The percentage identifying as Democrats is less than that of independents but more than the percentage of Republicans. The Republicans have been winning or losing because of independents, as I’m sure most of you know.

There is an important place for what you and Mickey do, Stuart, in your respective perspectives. As for my perspective, some of us advocating immigration control have been at this a very long time — since the 1990s for me. Others way longer. About ten years ago, the situation went to the next level. Much of what we had predicted had come true. Now, more of it has. So I expect the worst of what we predicted to follow. I did what I felt had to be done by supporting Republicans. I will continue to support my congressman, Scott DesJarlais — he and I disagree on some issues, the horse-soring bills, for one; stop the soring, stacks, and chains!!!– but he pretty much has done what he promised on immigration control. But I’m not going to support anyone now who has betrayed us, by action and inaction, on immigration. It’s too late for that. We’ve run out of time. And I can tell you that if a candidate or elected is not deep in the trenches on immigration control, that person is NOT a conservative, no matter what he or she claims.

• MARLE says:

Why, Donna, you sound like someone who finds no comfort in Heritage scores to define the concept of Conservative for you. It is the be all and end all, don’t ya know? Oh, ye of little faith. I hope Stuart will pray for you to see the light.

Marle, I have seen that light, of the oncoming train.

• Eddie White says:

Which independent are you supporting Donna for the US senate race? You may be unhappy like James, but you don’t present any viable options.

I’ll tell you if one happens, Eddie. One of my objectives is to encourage independents to run. I have voted for independents on occasion and did so in the most recent election I voted in. I will be supporting independents more often from now on.

• Phil Lassiter says:

I just hope none of them support an article V convention