House scheduled to hear 391 bills this week, Senate none

Rep. Jim Coley (R-Bartlett) presides of the House Higher Education Subcommittee on May 26, 2020. (Screengrab: Tennessee General Assembly)

The full slate of 20 state House committees meeting this week have 391 bills on their calendars, according to a count by The Tennessean. By contrast, the Senate has none.

The two chamber are at odds about how wide the scope of their return into session should be. The upper chamber wants to focus on COVID-19 related legislation, the budget, and “time-sensitive” measures. The House wants to throw the doors open to any remaining bills, including controversial measures such as making the Bible the state’s official book, banning most abortions, and getting rid of training and background check requirements to carry handguns in public.

The lower chamber is allowing limited access to lobbyists and the public, while the Senate will remain on lockdown for all but lawmakers, staff, and the media.

The Finance Committee is the panel meeting on the Senate side this week.

Rep. Mark White (R-Memphis) speaks during a House subcommittee meeting in on May 26, 2020 (Screengrab: Tennessee General Assembly)

20 Responses to House scheduled to hear 391 bills this week, Senate none

“391 bills on their calendars” This is the problem. Too Much Government.

• Not that Stuart guy says:

Here’s rooting for the Senate. 391 bills? Come on! You can’t convince me there are 391 nuggets of needed good public policy therein.

• MARLE says:

“Rules make you (or your political patron) money”. Increasingly laws are not for the purpose of public policy improvement; they are for financial gain of Somebody. The public good is just the sales tool, a a phony one at that.

• John Langston says:

Well, considering they started with 1500 bills…0

• Charles Sumner says:

I hope the House gets to the bill which would permit me to not have to get a driver’s license. I have a sincere religious objection to driver’s licenses.

• Charles says:

One thing the COVID-19 lockdown shows is that there are Too many Laws that give Too many people Too much power. #LeeTheTyrant

• Val says:

Complete what was started and also deal with the new issues that have come up. Do the job for which you were elected and represent your constituents well.

• Beatrice Shaw says:

Go to Change.org and sign the petition to Biden to guarantee a $2000 monthly Universal Living Wage!! The petition is nearing its 300,000 signature target and we are going to blow right past that!! Whoop1 Whoop! Raise the Roof!!

Beatrice, please tell me you do not teach economics at government schools?

• MARLE says:

No “she” probably doesn’t but plenty more just like her teach econ from high school right through grad school.

What in the world does that have anything to do with “House scheduled to hear 391 bills this week, Senate none”? Surely there must be some message board in one of the fever swamps of the left where you can communicate breathtakingly vital bulletins like that to your fellow travelers.

• Eddie White says:

Unless the political winds change soon Beatrice, you may get your wish from President Biden.

Eddie, please don’t let today’s polls get you down. The Republicans are lying low and simply doing reconnasance now. Wait until they unleash their campaign against semi-senile Joe and his patently unqualified vice-presidential pick when the campaign begins in earnest. Let the liberals salivate over today’s polls. It will only serve to get their hopes up in a replay of 2016 so we can have the fun of tuning into MSNBC after the polls close on election day and watch the sharp instruments be collected from the ashen faced commentators.

• Cannoneer2 says:

I still enjoy watching Rachel Maddow’s election night meltdown when she realized that Hillary was toast.

• Cannoneer2 says:

“You’re awake by the way,” she told the camera, deadpan. “You’re not having a terrible, terrible dream. Also, you’re not dead and you haven’t gone to hell. This is your life now.”

OH ABSOLUTELY!!!!! Liberals annoy the hell out of me about 1.3 times every day. It’s rare that I get to experience such a mega dose of Schadenfreude and it was a memorably joyful occasion I will never forget. I’m not a Trumpist, but I do have to thank him for that. Looking forward to another helping this November.

• Pingback: Wednesday, May 27