Hagerty raises $1.9M for Senate bid, Sethi adds $839K

Bill Hagerty attends the Tennessee Republican Party’s Statesmen’s Dinner in Nashville on June 15, 2019. At right is U.S. Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-Brentwood). (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Former U.S. Ambassador Bill Hagerty raised $1.9 million for the Senate bid in the final three week’s of the reporting period, the campaign announced Thursday. Rival Republican canddiate Manny Sethi reported $329,000 in contributions, plus a $500,000 loan from himself.

“Chrissy and I are deeply humbled by the support our campaign has earned so far,” Hagerty said in a statement. “I’m ready to fight for your family in the U.S. Senate, and this support is essential as we work to share my conservative vision for our state and our country. We will continue to talk with Tennesseans about how I can best serve them in the Senate and fight to pass President Trump’s agenda.”

The Hagerty campaign said it spent just $20,000 in the quarter.

Sethi, a Vanderbilt surgeon, raised $542,000 in the previous period and loaned his campaign another $1 million. All of Hargerty’s contributions this quarter come from outside donors.

27 Responses to Hagerty raises $1.9M for Senate bid, Sethi adds $839K

• Phil Lassiter says:

Hagerty was a NeverTrumper with Haslam until it benefitted him otherwise. He will be a great Senator

He will be a loyal Trumpidian so long as Trump is in office then he will settle back to being a typical Chamber of Commerce/Business Round Table Republican Senator. When he settles in I say Heritage 70%-75%. Anything above 75% we will have lucked out and I will be surprised. On the other hand, he is replacing worthless Lamar (Heritage-50%) so the rightward move of the Republican Party will continue unabated. At least conservatives should be grateful for that.

Greatful for what? 22 TRILLION debt? Contentious wars?

Three yards, a cloud of dust and do it over and over – eventually you win the game. Patience James. Short of violent revolution political transformations take time.

Have you EVER seen the debt to go down when the Republicans were in control of Congress? EVER ????

If you’re a conservative, the Republican Party as it has existed and as it exists today has been a DECREASINGLY craven, feckless political party. So have the allegedly right-wing Conservative Parties of Canada and the U. K. as well as the Liberal Party of Australia. The trick is to make the Republican Party more conservative which we have been rather consistently but slowly doing over the past decades. That partially accounts for the increasing rancor in American politics.

Moving the Republican Party right. That is job one, indeed the essential job, for American conservatives. It would be great if we can somehow get you to join in that effort James.

“which we have been rather consistently but slowly doing over the past decades.” Nope. Not happening. Don’t see it.
            You still are under the delusion that there are two parties. And that they are different. And that the TOP DOGs that run the party are going to tuck their tails between their legs and run back to their kennels. Not going t to happen. The Election for TN is already lost, if we are only going to have Hagerty or Sethi. Find a party that you can vote FOR and Not AGAINST.

What I tried to describe is the only game in town. You continue to not want to play the game. I understand.

Ok, but don’t complain of their HERITAGE scores, as people like you vote them in.

• Eddie White says:

James, you spend your time complaining about those voting Republican and never tell us who you are voting for. You are not credible because you have no candidate or party to support. You are the one always voting against someone.

• Lenny says:

Eddie, James is a lot more consistent than Stuart.

Manny is 10X more conservative than Bill. Bill is 10X more white than Manny. Guess who Word Salad Anderson supports.

• Perry Aubric says:

Actually, America would benefit, neither from an increasingly alt-right Republican Party nor a radicalized Democratic Party, but from the kind of mainstream, principled, cooperative leadership from both that made America the biggest economic powerhouse, the leader of the free world (in actuality, not in jingoistic sloganeering) and in social progress of the 20th Century. To read comments on this site, you would think that outliers and all-talk, no-action theorists like Stuart and Eddie actually represent a philosophy shared by more than a tiny sliver of crackpots. They don’t. I wonder what either of them actually do for a living; they seem to hover here to comment pretty much on every thread all day long, every day.

Guys, no one really gives a tinker’s damn about Heritage scores or possible constitutional conventions or who is pure enough to suit either one of you. People want jobs, they want freedom from personal debt, they want to be safe from crime at home and threats from abroad, they want to be left alone to live their lives as they see fit, and they want to know that the system–political, economic, social–is acting fairly. As far as I can see, the two political parties as a whole pretty much want those things, too, but they have different ideas about how to get there. There is a legitimate, even essential, place for debate and competition in the marketplace of ideas and in our elections. Someone who has an approach you don’t like doesn’t hate America or despise democracy. Everything the other party does is not wrongheaded.

All this rancor and polarization, mostly over social hot-button issues, is really damaging our culture. Those who really are on the fringes–for example, the intellectually inferior and corrupt Donald Trump or the subversive neo-communist blowhard Bernie Sanders–should be delegated to the dustbin of history where they belong. I fail to understand why anyone would support these type of people. There are fine, capable qualified conservatives in the Republican Party who can replace Trump, and there are more progressive-thinking Democrats with the same qualities who are far better choices to represent them than someone like Sanders or this AOC nitwit.

Then we can actually have a debate on national debt or Mideast policy or immigration or any other issue that is intellectually honest. From what I have seen of them, Hagerty and Sethi and Mackler appear to be legitimate candidates, none seem nuts to me, and all deserve a fair hearing from the voters.

A militant centrist!!! I LOVE IT! A full participant in the psychologizing of politics to boot. It has been and will continue to be a pleasure exchanging observations with you Perry.

Perry, you are referring to a nation that does not exist anymore. Extremes beget extremes, and that is what we are seeing now and will continue to see.

There are reasons many of us independents have no use for the Democratic or Republican parties. This, despite, for many of us, longtime personal, public activism on issues these parties claim to embrace but are usually missing in real action on.

If we, many of us, take uncompromising stands on issues, there is good reason for it. Compromise after compromise often digs a big hole there is no surfacing from, and eventually it becomes clear the mess we are in because of compromise, which is often nothing but doing evil to good, chipping away at strength and cohesion to a point of weakness and eventual destruction.

A balance of civil rights may be at issue, and compromise is unavoidable in those cases, if we are what we claim to be as a country. But I’m tired of watching compromise against my family’s best interests, while using our income to do it. I’m tired of compromise with what I see as evil — instruments of destruction of the good. I’m tired of being attacked for speaking up. I’m tired of your labels.

Over the years, I’ve watched you, Perry, try to silence others with ridicule and other personal attacks. You’re a good example of what many of us reject in the impostors of “tolerance.”

We need open forums like this. I don’t care how many times people comment. Keep talking.

• Beatrice Shaw says:

Trump is not corrupt. He is rebuilding the wherewithal in this country to once again have the backbone that made us an economic powerhouse and the Beacon of light for the downtrodden who truly want to better themselves. The rest of your tripe, Perry, is gobbledlygook. I want my four children to have it better than we did. The liberals (Dems) have given away their momentum to do so. President Trump sees this and he is light years ahead of you in his political chess moves.

I didn’t notice it until now but this blog leads off with a picture of the 2019 edition of the Statesmen’s Dinner. From the picture does it strike you as something some “outsider” of the Republican Party would attend much less be the Chairman of the function? Well, believe it or not Dr. Outsider was the Chairman of the 2016 version of that star studded occasion. Indeed, that’s why I gave him the title Chairman Manny so no one who just happens to be looking for an outsider to be their U.S. Senator forgets.

• Lenny says:

Chairman Manny sounds a lot like Chairman Mao. Your white supremacy is showing, honky Anderson.

• MARLE says:

Let’s assume that Manny MIS-represented himself as an outsider. Should a person who votes, with enthusiasm, for Senators and Congressmen who enable the Liar-in Chief by never once calling out his hundreds of serious, Uber-misrepresentation be as offended as you appear to be with ONE falsehood?

Let me attempt to unpack that. You don’t like the fact that Trump misstates facts so I lose my ability to criticize a No Record Candidate for conjuring up a record as a basis for his candidacy because I support senators and congressmen who don’t criticize Trump for his misstating facts. Please tell me you aren’t serious, please.

As for Chairman Manny, its not the fact that he “misrepresented himself” once or twice while campaigning, it’s the fact that being (1) a “conservative” and (2) an “outsider” are the basis of his campaign which is repeated over and over again as sort of a campaign motto. It’s what he is identifying as his fundamental appeal and in point of fact he has thus far produced no evidence other than the testimony of a few friends that he is a conservative and from his close friendships with many of the movers and shakers in the Party as well as his Chairmanship of the 2016 Statesmen’s Dinner it is infuriating for him to think that we are stupid enough so that he can successfully pass himself off as an outsider.

• MARLE says:

You got my point exactly right. Infuriating for Liars to think WE are stupid enough to believe them; for me, equally infuriating to think that Congressmen would BE so stupid as to believe (or behave as though they do) the Liar-in-chief AND feel that this is ok with me.

• Silence Dogood says:

Stuart, thanks for being a voice of “respectful” Conservatism. I look at most of the responses to your observations and note that they become increasingly shrill, disrespectful, and defensive as the thread progresses. Your patience is praiseworthy.

• Pingback: Friday, October 11

Looking back at the picture, it is just a mime just waiting to happen.
    Hag: wow I am going to be a senator, I guess that is …. what is that on the ceiling… money?
    Blckb: I hope that guy doesn’t figure out we are here for the money… wait…