Hagerty launches next round of attack ads on Sethi

U.S. Senate candidate Bill Hagerty has another attack ad out on TV this week attacking rival Manny Sethi.

The narrator points out that Sethi, who is now a Vanderbilt surgeon, once served on the b0ard of the Massachusetts Medical Society, a group that later went on to support President Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act (thought the ad doesn’t take that time element into account). It also blasts Sethi for once applying for a prestigious White House Fellowship while Obama was president. (Hagerty was a White House fellow in 1991-1992 when George H. W. Bush was president.)

The ad also includes a video of Sethi saying it’s a “political statement” to call the Affordable Care Act “Obamacare.”

Sethi has pushed back against the attacks as being deceptive while lobbing his own broadsides against Hagerty for once donating to Al Gore’s presidential campaign and donating more than $100,000 to Utah Sen. Mitt Romney’s presidential campaigns.

Stay tuned for more mud-slinging.

19 Responses to Hagerty launches next round of attack ads on Sethi

• Beatrice Shaw says:

Looks like Sethi may actually help us with some universal health care. I also hope he will help establish a tax that the wealthy will pay into for a reparations trust—kind of like social security for minorities. This is a good idea gaining traction.

• Perry Aubric says:

The White House Fellows Program us a non-partisan program. Suggest looking it up for yourself. Not everything in the world exists in a Democrat vs. Republican dynamic.

Another silly ad in this contest between two undistinguished empty suits with no discernible policy differences whose only concern seems to be how much they can boot-step for Donald Trump.

• Not that Stuart guy says:

Another ad that really pushes the limit. First was the wife’s $50 buck donation through the ActBlue clearinghouse, next it’s attacking a doctor for being an officer in a medical society that LATER endorsed the ACA (an idea created by a Republican, and by all measures has worked to increase healthcare access in this country, but I digress.)
    I’m no Manny fan, and I don’t see Hagerty losing this election, but enough is enough. I understand you want to appeal to the base in the primary, but is the base this ad would activate worth appealing to?

• MARLE says:

August 6 can’t come soon enough to decide which of these two clones of each other is the missing lap dog bookend for Marsha.

• Arnold Tayes says:

Whiney Manny can’t take the heat. He has hired lawyers to protest factual campaign ads against him. Vote for Bill Hagerty, a strong conservative who can take it.

• Benton Temple says:

Anyone that knows Manny knows that this is a shallow smear attempt from Ward Baker and Campaign Manager Sullivan. Both know Manny is not a liberal. They should be ashamed.

Please don’t take campaign ads so seriously Benton. They are aimed at low information voters who insist on voting but aren’t really interested enough to stay informed.

No Chairman Manny is not a liberal. He is simply a relatively non ideological political dilettante who is playacting at being at being a serious conservative in order to follow his game plan “Operation Unhagerty.” Conservatives should show that they are unimpressed with playacting conservatives and demand the real thing by voting AGAINST Chairman Manny by voting FOR Hagerty.

• Mark Rogers says:

Stewie, how about we vote against the candidate who is lying to the voters in a desperate attempt to save his floundering campaign? What happened to the idea that Republicans had ethics, including a relationship with the truth?

Hagerty and his campaign are liars. Worse, they are lowering the moral standard of the party with this vile campaign of untruth and distortion.

That maybe ok with you but I will never recognize Hagerty as my Senator if he steals a victory with this rotten campaign. He is a betrayal of the ethical standards of great Republicans like Howard Baker and Bill Frist and Winfield Dunn and Fred Thompson who never ran campaigns against fellow Republicans like this.

Sadly, you have no ethics. Truth doesn’t matter to you any more than it matters to Hagerty and his thugs. You are part of what is destroying the Republican Party.

Markie you are much more “moderate,” in the Howard Baker, Bill Frist, etc. etc. mode of Republicans then I. You know, the kind that just like to hold office and gracefully, in such an exquisitely gentlemanly way, serially capitulate to the liberals whenever the cannons really start to roar.

I don’t give a damn about the Republican Party in its present incarnation, Hagerty or his campaign tactics. The only thing I care about is the furtherance of the conservative movement and it ain’t going to happen in this particular election with these substandard candidates. Chairman Manny has been worthless to the conservative movement despite his great wealth for his entire life and now he wants to cash in as this big macho conservative. He therefore represents just the kind of pol I want to see beaten, and beaten badly, so he becomes an example of what happens when you approach politics in that manner.

I am interested in a glorious cause. You are interested in campaign tactics and office holding. That’s the only difference between us.

• Charles says:

Some help was received from Republicans before they turned from moderation, but where would we be without the many things which were accomplished because of liberals and progressives? 1. The 40-hour work week.
    2. Weekends
    3. Vacations
    4. Women’s Voting Rights
    5. The Civil Rights Act of 1964
    6. The right of people of all colors to use schools and facilities.
    7. Public schools.
    8. Child-labor laws.
    9. The right to unionize
    10. Health care benefits
    11 through 99 – too many to list.

To answer your question Charles, I’m sure 70% of the American people wouldn’t think the country is on the “wrong track.”

• Eddie White says:

Charles, I agree with your top 10. Liberals have improved our lives in the very ways you listed. So what has happened to the left? You are now talking about eliminating the statues of Washington, Jackson, and Christopher Columbus. These were not the views of King, Humphrey, or Kennedy. They never would have supported defunding the police.

• Perry Aubric says:

Nor do most Democrats. Including Biden. Despite Trump’s lies to the contrary.

You guys take great pains to demonstrate what you consider to be major differences among conservative Republicans, from Romney to Trump to Sethi to Hagerty, etc., but you try and pretend that every liberal in America subscribes to whatever fringe idea that’s advanced.

You are so cluelessly radically reactionary in your views.

• Eddie White says:

Joe Biden said in an interview Wednesday that some funding should “absolutely” be redirected from police, amid calls from some in his party to “defund the police” in the wake of the protests across the country.

Recent interview (one of the few the man gives) .

• Rob Coomer says:

Mud slinging. My favorite part of Election Season. Tells me who not to vote for. Anybody else but these two whiners.

• Dan Gilley says:

I am a staunch Republican who held a local elected office in the South for 20 years. I feel I am qualified to comment on the current state of our party and its leadership, or should I say lack of leadership? I supported Trump in 2016, and I still support his ideals and goals for our country, but his lack of leadership and a realistic approach to the health crises and economic disaster it has brought on is appalling. I support Manny because he does not tie his ideological beliefs to a president who now says he may not accept the results of the coming election! The mudslinging is unfortunate and will only tear our party further apart at a time when the opposition is gaining ground nationwide. I will probably vote for Trump and hope we can survive as a nation of laws for another term, and four years from now a rational conservative, V.P. Pence or our own Sen Blackburn can step in a save the day.

• MARLE says:

You had me thinking you were headed in a sensible direction until the part where you think Marsha as president could save the day.

• Pingback: Wednesday, July 22