Republican U.S. Senate candidate Bill Hagerty speaks at Nashville event on Dec. 3, 2019. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Bill Hagerty is calling on President Donald Trump invoke the Insurrection Act to mobilize active-duty military forces in response to protests around the country.

“We cannot have another night of violence. It has to stop now,” the former U.S. ambassador to Japan said a release. “If we don’t, it propagates lawlessness.”

Trump has been mulling the use of the 213-year-old federal law, which would allow him to send troops to states without a formal request by their governors.

Here’s the release from the Hagerty campaign.

Nashville, TN — With the recent riots around the country, including Tennessee, Bill Hagerty, candidate for U.S. Senate, encourages President Trump to use the Insurrection Act to mobilize active-duty military forces in order to defend our communities from further acts of domestic terrorism.

“President Trump has already taken decisive leadership in recognizing ANTIFA as a terrorist organization,” said Bill Hagerty. “America is rooted in the rule of law. We cannot have another night of violence. It has to stop now. Period. If we don’t, it propagates lawlessness. To better protect our cities and communities from further danger, President Trump should use the Insurrection Act to its fullest extent. Mobilizing our military forces across the country will show that we will not tolerate domestic terrorism.”

37 Responses to Hagerty calls on president to invoke Insurrection Act, mobilze active-duty miltary

• This is wrong in so many ways.

• Benton Temple says:

I doubt Hagerty actually thinks that. Hagerty is a very reasonable guy. This is Ward Baker and his team writing a response and sending it out trying to score cheap political points. I don’t know who else is on that team other than what has been reported in the news but Baker and campaign manager Sullivan should be ashamed of themselves. The bad guys need to be caught. No one is questioning that but the united state military – aside from the national guard – does not belong on civilian streets. Yes the mayors need to step it up. Yes the governors need to step it up. Yes the president needs to step it up. Dont put the military in the streets. Thats what dictatorships do.

• Not Stuart Anderson says:

What a crock. First, there is no such organization called “Antifa” to put on any list. The word describes far-left anti-fascists, there is no organized club with meetings and t-shirts. Plus, the President’s authority only includes the ability to put FOREIGN groups on such a list.

As for the Insurrection Act, the last thing this country needs in order to cool down is armed soldiers on domestic streets.

Political theater 101. Plus I agree with Benton, no way Hagerty actually believes this in his heart. Its just throwing some red meat to the far right base. I bet the email he sends to his supporters calling for this will result in a tidy $ haul.

1. You leftists are sooooooo impatient. Let the FBI investigate ANTIFA under the RICO statute to see whether or not there is a criminal conspiracy at work here. Sure looks like a criminal conspiracy with these leftist hoodlums appearing here there and everywhere but I am content to let the FBI investigate now that they aren’t busy trying to effectuate their “insurance policy” nullifying the results of the 2016 presidential election.

2. As a conservative, I am for the radical diminution of federal power not its aggrandizement. The people elected ineffectual liberal governors and mayors, let them suffer the consequences of their choices so that they will stop voting for liberals.

3. Go get ’em Ward Baker & Co.! Earlier I awarded Chairman Manny with one of the best statements on the mayhem facing us no doubt written by Chris Devaney or one of his minions. The goal is the defeat of Chairman Manny, so we can’t let the Chairman’s men allow him to get to the right of Hagerty. Whether I agree with the statement or not is irrelevant. . .WELL DONE!

• Paul says:

I’d say let’s investigate the “oath keepers” and the “3 percenters” at the same time, since they seem to also appear “here, there, and everywhere” but with weaponry in hand. Based on Trump’s behavior, I’d say he’s depending on them to “nullify” the 2020 election on his behalf and lots of folks like Stuart will be leading the “right on” chorus to overturn the election if and when that happens. I don’t see how “involving” the (in your mind discredited) FBI or bringing the army into this as wannabe Commander Bill Hagerty suggests is a minimizing federal power, but whatever…seems like “aggrandizing” in a major way. But conservatives love hierarchical power and force when it’s against anyone who is “the other”. Likewise, if you think implementing martial law is going to “help” Trump, dream on. If you don’t like wearing a mask and the COVID thing, you really won’t like a tank and a checkpoint on your street corner when you head down for fine dining at Applebee’s. A military junta sounds great until you have to live with it.

As your “not” doppelganger points out, if you can find the antifa clubhouse, good luck. Nothing like spending a few millions on an investigation that Fox News can yammer on about. This one of the endless conservative bogeymen under the bed that y’all seem to think is some sort of “organization”, since that is the Republican approach to life and politics. Antifa appears to be about as opportunistic and disorganized as Trump’s attempts to staff the government are; which is to say, they and he are checking the box on both counts.

Meanwhile, in the real world, Trump plays around on Twitter from a darkened White House in the “Cheney” bunker while egging everyone else on to “do something”. Real leadership there from the “I take no responsibility” president. Unfortunately, we are all now “suffering the consequences” of conservative choices at the presidential level: Double digit unemployment, trillions of dollars of new debt, riots in the streets being egged on by Trump, over 100,000 dead Americans, handing over world leadership to China, North Korea with more nukes, and much more. So much winning.

Good response Paul. By #2 I meant that I am certainly opposed to federal troops occupying American cities short of armed insurrection that state and local authorities can’t handle.

• MARLE says:

This is about Haggerty. All by himself. Not about Manny.

He is auditioning for his place as the missing half of the paired lap dogs.

Only Deep State Stuart would trust the FBI or the CIA

Antifa is world wide.
      Antifa websites like It’s Going Down, Sub.Media and Insurrection News have been promoting the group, which calls itself the Revolutionary Abolitionist Movement, calling on their readers to donate to a Fundrazr account for the creation of the new cell.

• With respect, reasonable guys don’t allow things to go out under their name if they have a big problem with it.
    Playing along to get the MAGA vote might win… but what is being won?

1. Not allowing Chairman Manny to win playacting a “CONSERVATIVE-OUTSIDER” when his anemic political record shows no evidence of his being either.

2. Showing no record plutocrats everywhere that you can’t just show up out of the board room or the operating room and hire political guns to make you a conservative so you better start getting a record NOW by sending $2,800 to Timothy Hill in Blountville, TN ASAP in order to get yourself one.

• Linda McCarty says:

I am appalled at the thought of this. I am also sick and tired of excuses such as, “he doesn’t really believe this.” If he says it and releases a statement to that affect then he believes it. How are citizens supposed to believe otherwise. This can only lead to very bad decisions.

By stop listening or reading stupid campaign statements written by campaign professionals on the basis of result from professional pollsters and examine the records of candidates instead. Please Linda, stop taking these campaigns so seriously.

Hagerty is an Establishment Republican who will go along Trump then go along with the Republican Majority/Minority Leader. I will be thrilled if Hagerty has a Heritage lifetime score of over 75 in six years when he is up for reelection. Chairman Manny is a surgeon who has no business running for a high office like the U. S. Senate and is trying to play conservatives for fools. VOTE HAGERTY.

• LeeAnn C. says:

I’m appalled at the anarchy. This has to be stopped. Now!

• TR says:

If Hagerty doesn’t really believe this then he should be ashamed for putting his name on the statement. If he does believe that U.S. military should be deployed on American streets then he’s a lunatic. I’m a lifelong Republican and I fear for our nation if supposedly responsible men like Hagerty would encourage an unstable president to make such a move to score political points with the base. Mark my words, every action sets a precedent and there will be a day when the Democrats control the White House again and domestic right wing groups can be declared “terrorist organizations” by the executive branch and the U.S. military will be deployed to break up a 2nd amendment rally, you’ll have Tom Cotton, Bill Hagerty and other political opportunists to blame.

Dear, dear, dear TR, you are taking a stupid campaign statement sooooo seriously. Campaigns are all a matter of positioning and are to be viewed in that way. Please see Hagerty’s record, he’s an Establishment Republican straight out of Central Casting. Heritage-75% I say and I’m not altogether sure of that. Beating Chairman Manny by not letting him get to the right of Hagerty, that’s all that’s going on here and hopefully successfully so.

• John says:

Getting to the right of Hagerty would put the Chairman at greater than 75% Heritage score. Isn’t that better than tepid, untested Hagerty? No-experience Hagerty has been nothing but a bureaucrat for a liberal governor and an ambassador for a New York City Democrat.

John, I’m talking about campaign perception, not office holding actuality. In actuality there is no reason to believe the Chairman of the 2016 Statesmen’s Dinner, pal of Chip Saltzman, Bob Davis and other luminaries of the Republican Establishment will be to the right of Hagerty. It’s his trying to fool conservatives that he is a conservative that is infuriating. VOTE HAGERTY.

I think, if allowed to do the job, the National Guard can do the trick.

I am totally for supporting police with backup as necessary. And I support military equipment for police. The treatment of George Floyd was wrong. This does not excuse the criminality that followed.

I am sort of an old fashion guy. Why not keep an open mind about the Floyd case until we hear both sides of the story in a trial, you know, like the Constitution provides. Right now all we are hearing is the narrative of the Minneapolis liberal government establishment that will do and say anything so that the vandals will stop their vandalism. How many times have we come down this road convinced about a narrative pushed by the liberal media only to find when the defense presents its case it’s not what we were lead to believe. I only hope that with all this, the defendant(s) can get a fair trial.

• This is a massive error by elitist Haggerty. These vandals are well armed and there will be shootouts everywhere. Mostly bad guys will die, but many soldiers and cops too. If the military starts killing, it’s all over as we know it

• WWJCD?

• LeeAnn C. says:

Last I heard, which was last night, 60 Secret Service agents had been injured protecting the White House. The church across the street from the White House was set afire. Every major city is under duress in this chaos. If our military is needed to put down the destruction of our cities, so be it. Enough is enough.

Why don’t we try serious crowd control limiting the number of people who can demonstrate in any one place at any one time and law enforcement first. I have every confidence that’s all we need!

• LeeAnn C. says:

Apparently, the locals are not prepared to put those types of rules in place, at least not in time to make a difference. The destruction must stop now and necessary rules/laws should follow to prevent this anarchy from ever taking over the country again.

If the “. . .locals are not prepared to put those types of rules in place. . . .” now, then the barbarians will continue to destroy their cities, along with the businesses owned by the oh so politically correct corporations (e.g. see Target’s score from 2nd Vote). Eventually, all but the most hardened leftist loon will see that leftist ideology is fun on campus and it’s all the rage in the faculty lounge, but it really stinks if you find yourself governed by it and enough will change their voting habits forever. That’s the ticket to our salvation so before calling in federal troops to occupy our cities like in some sort of banana republic, let’s give mayhem a chance.

• MARLE says:

Where were you Stuart when Trump praised the barbarians destroying property in Hong Kong, the epicenter of Asian commerce and finance. The areas hit included private property and the lawlessness kept streets and corridors of commerce closed to all commerce. Trump loved it. His politician lap dogs loved it. Riots, vandalism, and mayham should NOT be stopped with government force especially not the Government’s military.

I simply have a limited amount of righteous indignation and generally speaking I don’t want to fritter it away regarding the internal affairs of foreign countries and I certainly don’t want to waste it every time Trump makes an intemperate remark.
            _________________

On the other hand, I’m sure you will be pleased to learn that last night I informed The Heritage Foundation that I will (1) stop payment on the check I sent to them last week, and (2) never send them another dime so long as Kay James is President of that organization.

• MARLE says:

“an” intemperate remark? He has spent the last year railing against China’s use of force to stop the looting and anarchy in Hong Kong. I was amazed at the restraint the Chinese used when confronting rioters determined to burn that incredible city to the ground.

The mean wealth per adult in HK is nearly 3X that of the US. IQ average in the highest in the world.

And as for outside agitators. Wonder what role our CIA played in HK?

• MARLE says:

Your ” ‘Glad Tidings” re Heritage should not go unobserved. Congrats for that move. May there be a few more to follow!

Just throwing this in here. In the very early 2000s, I saw a classified federal document labeling immigration control activists and advocates as potential domestic terrorists. It was around that time that my telephone company in Atlanta answered a request from me about signs my phone was tapped or otherwise compromised. I had every indication of this that the phone company described to me. At the same time, a friend of mine, an immigrant immigration-control activist born in Vietnam and of Chinese descent, told me someone had seen a government-looking guy leaving my friend’s locked office in a California office building early one morning.

Among other things at the time, we were publicizing anti-American statements and activities on the part of undeported invaders from the south of us.

Never depend on the government to behave logically.

As a conservative with libertarian seasoning OF COURSE I have zero confidence in governments at all levels, least of all the federal government. That’s why of all the lousy systems of government in the world democracy is the best for at least it gives the people who live under the government a chance to change things. At least it gives one hope, not all that much hope, but some hope nevertheless.

You will notice that the worst problems are those in cities run by leftist, who by the way, were put into office by the very organizations and people behind the rioting in the streets.
    This is why protest is a tool of the left. Legal protest is fine, but blocking the roads and destruction are not. The right rarely protests because of agent provocateurs and of course the news media will focus on the one planted loony person.