Gov. Bill Haslam to give Senate bid ‘serious consideration’

U.S. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Maryville), left, and Gov. Bill Haslam attend an event at the state Capitol in Nashville on Dec. 17, 2018. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Term-limited Gov. Bill Haslam tells Andy Sher of the Chattanooga Times Free Press that he was caught off guard by Sen. Lamar Alexander’s decision not to seek another term, and that he will give “serious consideration” about running for the seat.

“That’s obviously new news to me as well,” the Republican governor told the Times Free Press. “I will give it serious consideration and will have a better answer to your question in coming days. But for now this is a great time to honor Lamar.”

Chattanooga Mayor Andy Berke was coy when the paper asked the Democrat about whether he will run for the open Senate seat.

“There are many issues important to me that affect not just Chattanoogans, but Tennesseans as a whole. I am always looking for opportunities to focus on the issues that will help improve the quality of life in Tennessee,” he said.

Other potential candidates include U.S. Rep. Diane Black (R-Gallatin), who came in third in the Republican gubernatorial primary earlier this year; U.S. Rep. Mark Green (R-Ashland City); U.S. Rep. David Kustoff (R-Memphis); and Bill Hagerty, president Donald Trump’s ambassador to Japan and a former state economic development commissioner.

15 Responses to Gov. Bill Haslam to give Senate bid ‘serious consideration’

• Keith says:

“That’s obviously new news to me as well,” lol. And explains why Randy Boyd was parked at UT by the Haslams to help clear the field.

I don’t know a thing about Bill Hagerty, but Mark Green and David Kustoff would be far superior and Diane would be somewhat superior to Governor Pablum.

Remember Dr. RolandoToyos, he seemed conservative and had money, but is was the purpose of putting Scott Golden in control of the state GOP to get his boss, Blackburn elected as the chosen insider.

• Pingback: Tuesday, December 18

• Cannoneer2 says:

Here come all of the warmed over rebuilt politicians to have another go at it. Groan.

• Silence Dogood says:

In a world where Miss Universe may be a dude, illegal aliens deserve the right to vote, and Santa Claus should be a woman (or who knows what), perhaps Tennessee looks Conservative. Bill Haslam is not a Conservative. Diane Black or Mark Green for the Senate, please!

• William Upton says:

I know I’ve had enough of Haslum and I definitely don’t want Andy Burke. He just strikes me as more corrupt than the average politician.

• Cannoneer2 says:

The “Mark Green for (insert latest political office here)” campaign succeeded, and he is now the Representative for the 7th Congressional District. He was elected to that office 6 WEEKS AGO. If I was a constituent of that district, I would hope that he might be focused on the job he just got, rather than drooling over better offices that might soon be available.

• Cannoneer2 says:

We got Trump on the national level, and Lee on the state level because people are tired of job hopping career politicians with the same sets of stale old ideas. Just a thought.