Four finalists named for UT-Knoxville chancellor

Four finalists have been named to become the next chancellor at the University of Tennessee’s flagship campus in Knoxville. They will visit the school and participate in public forums between April 16 and April 18.

Here are the finalists and times they will be on campus:

• Donde Plowman, executive vice chancellor and chief academic officer at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. April 16, from 2:30-3:30 p.m at the Student Union Auditorium.
  • Brian Noland, president of East Tennessee State University. Wednesday, April 17, from 2:30-3:30 p.m. at the Student Union Auditorium.
  • William Tate, dean of the graduate school and vice provost for graduate education at Washington University in St. Louis. Thursday, April 18 from 9:45-10:45 a.m. at the Student Union Auditorium.
  • Bill Hardgrave, provost and senior vice president for academic affairs at Auburn University
    Thursday, April 18 from 3-4 p.m. in Room 101 of Strong Hall.

The forums will be live-streamed.

15 Responses to Four finalists named for UT-Knoxville chancellor

• Christina Norris says:

Four men. The powers that be can’t risk another woman in that position after they mistreating and forced out the only woman Chancellor in UT history.

• Lenny says:

Women are to submit to their husbands and be silent in the churches. God is against women in leadership positions and Bingo. We must vote out any Republicans voting to expand gambling and sin. MERRY CHRISTMAS

• Christina Norris says:

Oops. One woman after all. We’ll see how she fares.

• Silence Dogood says:

Is that where you really want to go on this job search? Any blacks on that list? Any LGBT? Any Hispanics? Any Asian’s? Or is it just women YOU care about? Or am I being a misogynist for asking those questions? Would that make you a racist for not asking the ones I asked? She was a bad hire according to folks who know about such things. This is about Tennessee values not Illinois, New York, or California values. I want the next Chancellor to be the best qualified candidate to lead Tennessee into the future. Not some token hire that completes a checklist. Like Davenport appears to have been, for instance.

• Lenny says:

Yes Thank God Tennessee values know the place for women. But let’s get back to the real issue. Bingo is an abomination and California gambling must be stopped at our borders.

“For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.”

• Pingback: Thursday, April 11

• Bob Fischer says:

Davenport was actually a good hire. She just had the misfortune of being courageous enough to speak truth to power and held athletics below academics. She was fired because she was a woman. She had the support of the students and faculty.

• Eddie White says:

I did not know Davenport personally. My son was a student at UTK during her tenure. I saw and heard her on a few occasions. I was not impressed. I have no problem with a woman as president or chancellor. I doubt that was the issue. I don’t think she displayed competence in her position. I was pleased to see Randy Boyd selected as UT President. It is possible to find a Tennessean to lead the state’s flagship university,

• Lenny says:

But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. 1 Timothy 2:12

• Bob Fischer says:

Eddie White, what specifically are you talking about? Aside from her taking some bad advice and hiring Currie instead of promoting the UTC AD from within, virtually all her decisions were to the benefit of students and faculty. And she didn’t hesitate to fix the Currie problem.

• Silence Dogood says:

Racism, misogyny, Islamophobia… blah, blah, blah. Always the same tired wailing. Boring. I note that 2 Corinthians 11:19 identifies most of you quite clearly. Since we are quoting scripture today.

• MarLE says:

Every day is a good day to quote scripture especially when it can be used to dictate public policy. But on this blog we should have some rules of the road.

The first to quote a verse cannot be contradicted with another verse. Even though the ease of doing such makes it tempting…..Something along the lines of a house divided concept.

• Silence Dogood says:

lol! Nice…Thanks, MarLE. Without rules we would be Libertarians. How about I quote Ben Franklin, my name sake, instead? And I am not impugning anyone in THIS thread with this quote. Just an observation about most Liberals.

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.”
        ― Benjamin Franklin

• Lenny says:

Pinko liberals are wrong when they say Franklin was an atheist. But he said himself he doubted Jesus was even real. He wasn’t a Christian. That’s why we must replace him on the $100 bill with Jimmy Swaggert.

• MarLE says:

And that is why Ben Franklin would have been in favor or welfare…I keep hearing politicians call for assisting those who “work hard” (to gross up the capitalists marketplace that doesn’t reward ALL hard work, just productive hard work).

Your Franklin quote opens my eyes to vast majority in America who DO work hard~ if at nothing else at least to that very tedious, life-long task of remaining ignorant.