Former Kingsport Mayor Clark announces congressional bid in 1st District

John Clark (Photo credit: Clark campaign)

Former Kingsport Mayor John Clark has filed paperwork with the Federal Election Commission to start raising money for his bid to succeed retiring U.S. Rep. Phil Roe (R-Johnson City). Clark’s announcement comes amid decisions by state Rep. Jeremy Faison (R-Cosby) and state Sen. Jon Lundberg (R-Bristol) against running for the seat.

Clark told WJHL-TV on Monday that his decision to run for the seat wasn’t contingent on Roe retiring.

“I was going to move forward regardless,” he said. “But as it turns out Congressman Roe made it his announcement and the timing couldn’t be better.”

Here’s the full release from the Clark campaign:

Kingsport, Tenn.— Former Kingsport Mayor John Clark announced today his candidacy for Tennessee’s 1st District congressional seat. Clark has filed the required Federal Election Commission documents needed to compete in the August 2020 Republican primary election.

Clark served on Kingsport’s Board of Mayor and Aldermen (BMA) for seven years, three years as alderman and four as mayor. His term ended in July 2019. “During my time on the BMA, we worked with many community and business leaders to improve the quality of life for all residents, thereby ensuring a prosperous future for our city. We achieved a lot on both fronts and I’m very excited to do the same for the 1st District,” said Clark.

Clark said he is running for congress because, “I have a passion for public service. Making a positive difference in the lives of my fellow Northeast Tennesseans truly energizes me. My focus is on conservative Republican values with a special emphasis on jobs, healthcare, and expanded opportunities for veterans and farmers. I will be a strong voice in support of President Trump’s policies and will fight against big government and for expanded freedoms for all Americans.”

Clark is a man of faith and a dedicated family man, businessman, and public servant. After a 36-year career in business, Clark said, “Community service is the most personally rewarding experience of my life. Working with people to improve the lives of others is a passion of mine. I would be honored to serve the people of the 1st District and am committed to giving my all to the residents of our region.”

Clark is excited to begin this campaign, which will be his fourth but first full-time campaign. His family, particularly his wife Etta, will be very involved in his campaign. Clark said, “I look forward to having my family and friends actively participate and experience this opportunity with me. I am ready to work hard over the next eight months to meet as many voters as possible throughout the 1st District. I’m all-in for the 1st District. We can do more and we can do better for our residents and businesses. I have the experience, passion, and energy to bring more high paying jobs to our citizens and ensure our freedoms are protected.”

22 Responses to Former Kingsport Mayor Clark announces congressional bid in 1st District

OK John, sounds great but you are running for U. S. Congress and Tennesse only has seven seats that can productively be used in that body so how about rolling out an impressive record of your past adherence to and promotion of “. . .conservative Republican values” ASAP. As this race develops I would be interested in commentators who know East Tennessee politics commenting on the candidates for the First District seat from local government as they announce their candidacy.

• Lenny says:

Well, he will be a “strong voice in support of President Trump’s policies.” I guess he supports Ivanka’s paid-family leave and marijuana decriminalization.

• MARLE says:

Yes, John, roll out your impressive record and THEN when you get in office tell us how you’d like to leave 19M illegals wondering about and only deport the “criminals” and tell us how you support a Tax Plan that leaves in every loophole known to man thus continuing to add 1T additional debt per yr.

That is what conservatives in TN want you to do.

I don’t know about “conservatives in TN” and Trump values, I think the man said “conservative Republican values.” There is a difference you know.

At least he didn’t vote for the Constitution Destroying, Constitutional Convention.

And even better, he intended to run against Roe even before Roe announced his retirement. Could it be he was tired of being represented by the most liberal congressman in the entire Tenn. Republican congressional delegation and was ready to do something about it? If so, that is a very, very good sign but I need to see the guy’s political record before getting too excited.

• Beatrice Shaw says:

How is he on the refugee issue? If he doesn’t support our Governor with more resettlement then he has no business running

PRACTICAL TRANSLATION: Anyone who doesn’t agree with bleeding heart Beatrice “. . .has no business running.”

OK, no problem, some people are born with authoritarian personalities and they most often in this day and age find their home on the left side of the spectrum. The fascinating part about this is that so many of them look into the mirror and no doubt see a tolerant, open-minded, freedom loving individual staring back at them. ISN’T THE HUMAN MIND FASCINATING?

Don’t worry Beatrice, if the Federal Government Wants to place refugees in a state, there is nothing the state/county/city can do. The Feds have control of all immigration policy.

• Eddie White says:

President Trump is allowing individual states to decide if they want to accept refugees. That is the point of the governor’s decision.

True, but Trump could change his mind at any time. Wouldn’t be the first time. And what if someone else is elected (or when they are elected). My point, refugees and immigration is a federal issue.

• MARLE says:

He filed with the FEDERAL election committee to run for the US congress, not the state house. His alliance with our governor is really not the point here.

• Silence Dogood says:

Can we count on the Tennessee Republican Party to research his credentials and tender an opinion of his adherence to “. . .conservative Republican values”, Stuart? Or do I need to do this research myself?

OH SILENCE, the Tennessee Republican Party may do that type of research, but it is done specifically to to see whether they have to recruit some “wet” Republican to run against that candidate if he adheres to “. . .conservative Republican values. We needn’t bestir ourselves to do research, however, because believe it’s the candidate’s obligation when running for high office like U.S. Congressman to provide conservatives with a rich record of their conservative activism, advocacy, and/or support in order to warrant our support. That’s why I remind my fellow conservatives when writing checks to political causes of that famous cry from American history, MILLIONS FOR CONSERVATIVE CANDIDATES, NOT A PENNY FOR THE REPUBLICAN PARTY!”

What does the Tennessee Republican Party know about Conservatism? Absolutely nothing!

• Eddie White says:

The Republican Party is definitely the Conservative party. My grandfather, born in 1886, was named for the Republican candidate for governor that year, Alf Taylor. Republican politics is not new to my family. What the party has not been consistently is isolationist or liberaterian and that is what grinds some people like James.

Of course, Eddie you are correct the Republican Party is the party of the right in the two dominant party system that we always see when “first past the post” election laws are in effect. The rub for those of us who consider ourselves “Movement Conservatives” is that the Republican Party simply is not conservative enough especially at the higher reaches of the party apparatus to be an effective force in turning back the increasing power of the state. Moving the Republican Party further and further to the right as quickly as possible is, as far as I’m concerned, job one for conservatives in this country.

• Silence Dogood says:

And after the “no record” Bill Lee refugee disaster, who has the stomach to vote for “no record” Sethi? Lee just torpedoed Sethi’s chances to win the Republican nomination. Haggerty should send Lee a thank you card.

• Beatrice Shaw says:

It’s all about $$$$ with Republicans. No principles

• Silence Dogood says:

Beatrice, that is because it is always MY $$$$ and YOUR principles. Perhaps when you become an adult and actually have to support yourself and others you will learn to count your $$$$ more carefully. And only support with YOUR $$$$ things that match YOUR principles as I do.

• Beatrice Shaw says:

Is there not a Democrat in this race?

Beatrice, if you would have only consulted with me before you moved to Tennessee you would have saved yourself and Tennessee so much trouble. Democrats may or may not run in East Tennessee, it hasn’t made any difference since the War Between the States so no one ever notices. Even before Republican domination of Tennessee, Democrats don’t even bother in East Tennessee so no one ever knows until they look at the ballot in November of even numbered years whether a Democrat has even bothered to file.