Cooper trounces Briley in Nashville mayor’s race

Metro Council member John Cooper trounced incumbent David Briley to be elected Nashville’s next mayor. The result wasn’t unexpected, but the 39-percentage point margin came as a bit of a surprise.

Cooper is the brother of U.S. Rep. Jim Cooper (D-Nashville).

Here’s a release from the Cooper campaign.

NASHVILLE, TN – At-large-Councilmember John Cooper has defeated Mayor David Briley to become the ninth Mayor of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County. According to the Davidson County Election Commission, unofficial election results show that Cooper defeated Briley by a vote of 70 percent to 30 percent.

In a speech at The Nashville Palace, Mayor-elect Cooper thanked the voters and laid out plans on how to build a Nashville that works for everyone.

Excerpts from the speech are included below:

As Mayor, I will work every day to continue to listen and learn. To put neighborhoods first and make sure that this Administration reflects the values of our city and her people in all of our actions. To restore trust that our people and their needs come first.

In the speech, Mayor-elect Cooper also spoke to the issue of fiscal responsibility:

I’ve been told that I care too much about the numbers. But if we don’t get the money right, we can’t get anything else right. Because in government, to care about finances is to care about people. That is how you make their dreams real.

Paying attention to the bottom line allows us to support people on the front line — our teachers, our police, our firefighters, our bus drivers, our paraprofessionals. And yes: teachers are the real developers we need to support.

He also expressed gratitude to Metro employees and invited the entire city to come together and move Nashville forward:

And to the great people who work hard for Metro every day, I need your ideas and your help in the work to come. It is my job to support you in our work ahead.

For everybody who voted for me, thank you. For everyone else, know that I will work every day to earn your trust and respect. This is a city for everybody.

We’re going to have more growth in the next five years than in the last five years. Those new cranes are lifting up our skyline. We need to lift up our people with it. That is our challenge — using this prosperity to build a better, more livable city. This is the moment to make Nashville work for everybody.

We started at two percent in the polls. Hundreds of volunteers and more than a thousand donors — from every district — got us here.

But this isn’t the end. I need all of your help. We must not waste this moment. Together, we will make a Nashville for everybody. Thank you!

15 Responses to Cooper trounces Briley in Nashville mayor’s race

• MARLE says:

Well there you have it……Cooper in a run away as I predicted ~ not needing any Republican money tossed in. The only way it could have been more lopsided is if the race were between Swain and Cooper.

In a comment a few days ago you indicated that Carol Swain did not endorse anyone in the runoff because of some personality flaw on the part of Carol. Last night she was one of the commentators on The Tennessee Star’s election night coverage on WLAC and she commented indirectly as to why she didn’t endorse Cooper in the runoff. Cooper, according to Carol, is Briley light, but a very heavy “light.” She feels that there is so little difference between the two of them that at the end of the day it doesn’t make that much difference.

Sounds reasonable to me. You unfortunate Republicans who call Davidson County home can decide whether or not you agree.

• MARLE says:

One of them was going to be mayor. There had to be one of them that would be the better choice.

I watched Carol cut a video less than a week prior to her “18 loss. She urgently solicited money by saying that the ’18 race was “VERY CLOSE”…….5 days later she lost by 30 points.

There were no polls nor any indication that the race was anything other than what it turned out to be. In fact, her campaign manager (this time around Coopers manager) confirmed what I already knew….there were no polls indicating the race was close. Begging for money to “get you over the top” when you are barely approaching the foothill of the mountain is what she did.

Some might call that misguided, wishful thinking. I regard it as a something else.

In addition, her face book page was full of comments rebuking people for this or that, calling for those who “came against her” to be defeated (and that included those who merely disagreed, not political opponents). IMO, as a Davidson resident, I am beyond grateful that I am not being governed by Swain

• Eddie White says:

Swain was the only conservative in the race. That does not matter in Nashville. I am beyond grateful that I am not s resident of Davidson County.

• MARLE says:

If your job causes you to fly weekly and being a Davidson resident puts you within minutes of the airport then you might see the sense of it.

• Phil Lassiter says:

Cooper an elitist and proud of it. I have heard him in conversations where he feels the people just ‘need’ he and his brother-even though they would rather do something else besides be in politics. You don’t have to believe me. It’s just the truth

• Misty Pardner says:

Andy Holt and the Hill Brothers at the Cooper victory party. Are these conservative stalwarts moving center right?

Andy Holt, Tim and/or Mathew Hill moving to the center. NOW THAT’S FUNNY!!! On the contrary, now that he is safely elected John Cooper will quickly move to the right and he will be reelected by acclamation.

• Eddie White says:

Stuart, a Nashville mayor moving to the right is Funny…ain’t gonna happen..

Eddie, I’m talking to my old friend Misty who I feel is something other than a solid, or even a tepid conservative so if she wants to fantasize about three of the most stalwart conservatives in the General Assembly moving to the center by gosh I can fantasize about the new mayor of Nashville moving to the right.

• Misty Pardner says:

There you go again, Stuie. You refer to me as a solid when my name infers a gas. A lot like what leaks out of your cake hole. The clown shoe caucus is cozying up to Jim Coopers brother after getting their collective asses kicked by Cameron Sexton. They are trying to increase statewide name recognition for a congressional run in 2022 when they get pinched out of their house districts. But I could be making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Expressed in your usual ladylike delicate manner Mist, but worse still is the fact that it simply doesn’t make sense. Why don’t you read that stuff before you hit “Post Comment”?

• Lenny says:

Hrm. I wonder why your wife divorced you.

• Phil Lassiter says:

They are just looking for relevance. They are in the political equivalent of Siberia for making deals with the DEVIL-Casada