Club for Growth launches website targeting Haslam

Gov. Bill Haslam gives his farewell address before the inauguration ceremony for Gov. Bill Lee in Nashville on Jan. 19, 2019. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

The Club for Growth, a conservative Super PAC, is taking aim at former Gov. Bill Haslam’s potential candidacy for the U.S. Senate. The Knoxville Republican is expected to make a decision about whether to run this spring.

The group has expressed support for U.S. Rep. Mark Green (R-Ashland City) to jump into the race to succeed Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Maryville) next year. Club for Growth agitated on Republican Marsha Blackburn’s behalf in her successful bid for the Senate last year.

“Deciding to run for the United States Senate would be different than deciding if I am going to go work for this bank or that insurance company or whatever,” Haslam said a Freed-Hardeman University forum last week.  “At the end of the day, for all of us, it’s about where can we be the most useful. Where can our gifts and the world’s needs intersect.”

The Club for Growth ad and the related DirtyBillHaslam.com website take aim over the scandal at the Pilot Flying J truck stop chain controlled by the former governor and his family.

“Governor, don’t run,” Club for Growth Action President David McIntosh said in a release. “You have a legacy as governor and clearly don’t have the fire in the belly nor desire to serve in the U.S. Senate.”

25 Responses to Club for Growth launches website targeting Haslam

The Club for Growth is just a bunch of NeoCon Deep State republicans that Hate the U.S. Constitution. Just look at the NeoCon’s they support.

• cjmcd says:

I disagree. Club for Growth is for tax cuts, limited gov’t, free trade, deregulation, balanced budget, etc. I could go on, but if that makes them Constitution haters, I’d hate to know what Constitution lovers are for they truly would be scary people.

Tne ones they have endorsed sure don’t vote that way.

• MarLE says:

Is the club for growth in favor of a significant Marriage Penalty for couples with children? The candidates they supported left that in the Tax Plan.

Are they for Means Testing of Medicare based on Filing Status alone? That was made so much worse in 2017 where Medicare Premiums for Married-filing-separately cost 300% more than for the same-income- level Single Status filer! Their candidate Greene has said he sees nothing done by the Trump Administration to be problematic so I assume he finds this reasonable!?
      Is the club for Growth for continuation of Special Interest Loopholes like the 1031 Exchange for RE developers or Carried Interest.. They are still there after the 42% Corporate tax reduction which was supposed to be In Exchange for getting rid of these types of loopholes. CFG candidates supported and boasted about the tax plan that continued these.

Any reason that the CFG should find self-employed Architects and Engineers to be deserving of having 20% of their TOTAL income tax- exempt when it is phased out for all other occupations at levels over 500K? Not sure why a Tax Plan that treats self-employed and Wage Earners was ever allowed to be sold as a “Regan-like” plan anyway, although that is what their candidates declared it to be. Reagan treated all income in an equal way. Google it!

I will look closely at ANY candidate they support; taxation defines, to some degree, the relationship between a government and its people and it seems that what constitutes Tax Fairness to them appears to be tax injustice to me.

• Eddie White says:

I am sure Marsha Blackburn would be one name James would list…

Club for Growth should target itself. Start with immigration.

Once, a long-haul truck driver tried to pick me up at the fountain drink machine in a Pilot truck stop. This was not a scandal, however. I am saving it as an option.

• Karen Bracken says:

I personally do not care who endorses Haslam and who does not. I as a Tennessee voter will do everything I can to make sure he does not win. My vote and my support goes to Representative Mark Green. Haslam is a bought and paid for bureaucrat.

• David Collins says:

Yeah, and Mark Green is one of those mental giants who thinks that a vaccination for the measles causes autism. He’s a doctor? What a joke. . . probably still uses leeches in surgery.

David, it is not wise to overwhelm an undeveloped immune system, as in a baby. Children get way more vaccines today than were given many years ago when my kids were young. Also, some people are far more sensitive to drugs, vaccines, and other agents. It is not wise to overwhelm their systems. There are wiser ways to go about vaccinations and still get the crucial vaccines.

Knowing what I know now about many things — including the fact I have the hereditary Gilbert’s syndrome in which the liver is deficient in enzymes that break down drugs, vaccines, and other toxins; 10 percent of people have this — I would never have allowed my children to get more than one vaccine at a time. They survived it, but we cannot say for sure that others fared as well.

The measles, mumps, rubella vaccine is a multiple vaccine. This vaccine can be unbundled and each of the components given one at a time a few weeks apart. My daughter did this with her kids, and her pediatrician thought it was a good idea. She never allowed more than one vaccine at a time and declined vaccination for her newborns. This was for a hepatitis vaccine. Newborns are undeveloped and are under stress right after birth. Never give a vaccine to a stressed or ill person. Stress weakens the immune system and allows damage.

My other child has children also. One is autistic. He got the vaccines the usual way. There is no way to know if the vaccines were a factor in his developmental disorder. But our family has a history of sensitivities to vaccines, such as flu and pneumonia vaccines.

One size does not fit all. Err on the side of caution. Unbundle vaccines and space them out, even for your pets. And do research. After reading about the numerous reported horrendous effects, including shingles and neuropathy, of the new shingles vaccine, I will not be getting it. I never get the flu shot. I was in my late fifties before I knew I have Gilbert’s syndrome. Many people never know they have it but suffer damage and even die because of it. Chemotherapy, for example, tends to kill people with Gilbert’s. Many doctors are blithely ignorant.

• Silence Dogood says:

Mark Green for me. I find Marsha’s post election promise keeping very satisfactory. Haslam corrupts himself with family interests. Will the Tennessee Republican Party go with a Conservative candidate? He needs to take that insurance industry job. His talent will always intersect with his wallet and that would be the honest choice.

I view the upcoming race to fill what will be Tennessee’s open Senate seat with optimism and pessimism. Optimism that Haslam has a very good chance of being better than Alexander who currently has an embarrassing Heritage Action lifetime score of 47%. To be sure, Haslam will simply go to Washington and be another Republican Senator representing the U. S. Chamber of Commerce/Business Round Table but even so, there is a shot that he can do better than 47%.

Pessimism, because should Haslam decide to run he will be very difficult to beat. His “aw-shucks” demeanor, all American boy looks, and the fact he has no deep seated political convictions which country club Republicans find so appealing because it saves them the trouble of becoming informed and actually THINKING together with the fact that he has an infinite amount of money to spend on getting elected make him a prohibitive favorite in any race. I am, therefore, reluctant to see the Club and Stuart Anderson spend a bunch of money and Mark Green waste a candidacy in launching a series of banzai charges, or if you prefer, charges of our conservative light brigade against in place centrist/liberal artillery with the results a forgone conclusion. This is especially so considering the need to defeat Reps. Jeremy Faison, Kent Calfee, Dale Carr, John Crawford, Jeremy Faison, Esther Helton, Jerome Moon, Blob Ramsey, Rick Tillis, Ron Travis, and Dave Wright in the 2020 Republican primary as reward for their part in defeating the closing of the Republican primaries.

• Misty Pardner says:

Oh, Stuie must be in favor of closing the primaries. Well guess what pal? Their not! And those evil party crosser are free to roam in 2020 and elect Bill Haslam as our next Senator.

Indeed Mist, and the only thing for conservatives to do is to mount vigorous primary campaigns against those centrist and tepid conservatives who vote to make it difficult for conservatives to give the Republican Party a reason for existing as something other than as the political wing of the Chamber of Commerce. Make voting against closing the primaries a third rail of Tennessee Republican politics. If conservatives can’t manage to do that they don’t deserve to have a party that consistently reflect their views.

• MarLE says:

Your call for “mounting vigorous primary campaigns by conservatives” should have your wallet open and your foot in the back of Mark Green. And yet, you sound unenthusiastic.

The Japanese who took part in the banzai charges during the 1940’s and those poor British members of the Light Brigade in 1854 met a horrible end flinging themselves against insurmountable odds. I am filling my wallet even now, during an odd numbered year, for the struggles that lie ahead in 2020 but I must be judicious in how I spend my money – so many struggles vs. the bucks I will have to spend.

Further, we conservatives learned a very hard, sad lesson in the case of beloved Joe Carr who over and over again took up the struggle when lesser men shied away to fight the battles he felt had to be fought, only to see him wither away from taking too many blows during too many battles, some of which, in retrospect, perhaps shouldn’t have been fought. Mark Green is a valuable commodity to conservatives now and for the future and we must be careful not to see the same thing happen to him.

• Matthew Tuttle says:

Signed some of the largest tax decreases in TN history and dramatically improved state education. If Bill Hagerty doesn’t run I’m 100% in Haslam’s corner!

Now Matthew, you are trying to depress me aren’t you? Yea, talk about a conundrum, who would best represent the interests of the U. S. Chamber, Round Table, National Ass’n of Manufacturers, et al Haslam or Hagerty?

For those of you unfamiliar with Hagerty, he is one of those drearily familiar Republican types, sort of like soybeans in a silo, began as a private equity investor, served as an economic advisor to one termer H. W. (“Lips”) Bush and was national finance chairman for Mitt Romney’s 2008 dreadful presidential campaign. Deciding an ambassadorship would be a nice addition to his resume he quickly forsook his fellow centrist establishment Republicans and signed on with the Trump campaign when it became apparent that was the only Republican campaign with a chance to win and PRESTO an ambassadorship to Zimbabwe. . .no, sorry. . .JAPAN was his!

Haslam or Hagerty, such riches are yours Matthew, I envy you!

• Pingback: Club for Growth PAC Airs Haslam’s ‘Dirty Laundry’ in Video, Website - Tennessee Star

• Pingback: Tuesday, March 12