Casada to run for state House seat again in 2020

Rep. Glen Casada (R-Franklin) greets colleagues during a House Republican Caucus meeting in Nashville on Jan. 14, 2020. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Rep. Glen Casada (R-Franklin) the center of a scandal that brought down his House speakership last year, plans to run for his legislative seat again later this year.

Here’s what Casada said on his Facebook page:

After much prayer and consultation with family and friends, I have decided to run for re-election to the Tennessee House of Representatives. I am honored to serve as your voice in Nashville and remain committed to the conservative principles that make Tennessee the absolute best state in the nation. My promise is to continue fighting to help businesses grow and prosper, to be a proponent for lower taxes and less government, to ensure our constitutional rights are protected, and to always work to support the unborn. I humbly ask for your confidence, your support, and your vote in 2020.

Casada was at the helm of the House for all of 133 days before announcing he would resign amid a revolt among Republican colleagues over a text messaging scandal and his heavy-handed approach. He was the first House speaker to prematurely step down from the chamber’s top leadership post in 126 years.

Casada started the year with a combined $549,000 on hand in his campaign and political action committee  accounts— a daunting prospect for anyone who might seek to challenge him in the Republican. But Casada still has an audit pending by the Registry of Campaign Finance. The probe is expected to be completed next month and presented during the panel’s following meeting on March 11.

29 Responses to Casada to run for state House seat again in 2020

Resign again.

• LeeAnn C. says:

My prayer is that his constituents will elect someone else…anyone else that’s Republican. This man is too arrogant to recognize how he’s lost the trust of Tenneseans!

I have known Glen for over fifteen years and he is one of the most approachable least arrogant individuals I know. To reprise a question you asked me a few days ago, have you ever met Glen? If not, how can you tell whether or not he is arrogant? Unless you are totally nonideological, I suggest you never wish for “. . .anyone else that’s Republican” because Lamar Alexander has taught us right here in Tennessee how hideously liberal that can be.

• LeeAnn C. says:

Yes, I’ve met him. I’ve also seen the reports of his behavior, thus his ‘stepping down’. His arrogance was on full display.

• Beatrice Shaw says:

Didn’t he use cocaine and have sex in a restaurant bathroom and brag about it?? What in the world is going on here?

• John says:

Casada was caught on video massaging a lobbyist’s thighs under her dress at a bar in Nashville.

Good grief, you liberals are a most prudish bunch when dealing with a single man who happens to have an American Conservative Union rating of 88% aren’t you?

• Cannoneer2 says:

Must defend him on that… he IS a single man…

• John says:

That video of Casada was published by Tea Party Conservatives at Rocky Top Politics in 2016. Casada was married in 2016. He was divorced in 2017. Pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of a self-described family values Evangelical politician doesn’t make me a prude.

Good grief, you liberals are a most prudish bunch when dealing with a no doubt separated man on his way to obtaining a divorce who happens to have an American Conservative Union rating of 88% aren’t you?

Stuart, morality sees farther than any ACU rating.

Indeed, James, the only trouble is for the voters is actually finding morality among public figures who you don’t personally know. I think the Stuart I. Anderson rule for judging officeholders – “If they break the law fine them or lock them up otherwise check their ACU/Heritage rating” is a far more reliable indicator who who to support than some amorphous search for “morality” from 10,000 feet up.

• John says:

Good grief, you cuckservatives lie your asses off. He was married. Period.

Just when I didn’t think liberals were strict constructionists about anything John seems to be one when it comes to marriage vows. I can’t help wondering if this strict construction isn’t motivated by Glen’s 88% ACU rating but no matter. . .it’s something that I find heartening if only he extends that same construction to the U. S. constitution and the behavior of politicians with single digit ACU/Heritage ratings.

I don’t care what any of them do in their off time as long as it isn’t illegal and they deliver. Casada did not deliver.

He didn’t deliver as Speaker that’s why he was removed. He did deliver as a Representative in the House for his constituents that’s why he has been overwhelmingly elected as by the voters in the 63rd District since 2004. He did deliver as a Republican leader in the House that’s why he was elected Speaker in the first place.

Glen is running for another term to represent the voters in District 63. Conservatives should contribute to Glen’s campaign in the unlikely event he has a well financed less or unproven conservative opponent. The voters in District 63 should grant his request for another term as a reward for delivering for his district.

What wonderful news! Glen (ACU-88%) has been a conservative leader in the state house and is largely responsible for the ever more rightward movement of the Republican caucus in the house since he was first elected in 2004. Whatever shortcomings he had as House speaker were more than paid for when he was forced to resign. For conservatives, however, he had no shortcomings as representative from the 63rd District and I look forward to supporting Glen as he runs for re-election.

• Christina Norris says:

Glen Casada is a sorry human being. As a Republican legislator said, “He’s lost his moral compass.”

• Cannoneer2 says:

HAHAHA! Like the Registry would actually do anything!!

• CollegeGrover says:

He will win a Primary by 15 points and the General Election by 25 points.

• Pingback: Wednesday, February 5

• Jason Wallflower says:

Glen Casada must be defeated. Republicans hav to primary him with a real, actual conservative… and win.

Casada and his type are a cancer. Literally the only thing Glen cares about is his own personal power and will do ANYTHING to hold on.

So long as you agree that “. . .a real, actual conservative. . . ” is someone who has a rich record of public advocacy for and/or financial support of conservative causes and candidates rather than simply conservative sounding campaign rhetoric like the type we’re now hearing from Chairman Manny. When you come up with such a candidate, Jason, we’ll compare that record with Glen’s 15 year ACU -88% record in order to see which candidate conservatives can be rely on to vote correctly when the canons roar.

I can personally testify that you are absolutely wrong when you say all “. . .Glen cares about is his own personal power. . . .” For years Glen has taken the time to personally advise those of us who inquire about which races around the state could use financial support in order for the most conservative candidate in Republican primaries to be successful. Glen cares very much about the ideological moorings of the Republican caucus in the House, something conservatives should appreciate because of its relative rarity among Republican politicians.

• MARLE says:

“Glen has taken the time to personally advise…..about which races around the state could use financial support”. Wow!!! Such a patriot. And nothing about directing money gets him attaboys from the party faithful, right?

WRONG!

They would (1) if he knew whether his advice would be acted upon and (2) he gave potential recipients of the financial support a heads up that Stuart was going to send them a contribution at Glen’s direction but those things simply didn’t happen. No, Glen simply took the time with some detail answer my questions because he cared about whether chamber of commerce shills or committed conservatives were going to join him in the House.

• LeeAnn C. says:

Character matters! I agree with Jason. Mr. Casada is an egocentric cancer that wields the almighty dollar to manipulate others. The Tennessee State House and the GOP will be better off without him. C’mon Franklin! Surely you can find a decent representative in your citizenry!.

• Phil Lassiter says:

President is not guilty. Dems are in worse disarray in probably 50 years or more. Can’t feel sorry for them. Crap comes from the top down.