Casada to resign upon return from trip abroad

House Speaker Glen Casada (R-Franklin) checks his phone as he awaits the joint convention to hear Gov. Bill Lee’s first State of the State address in Nashville on March 4, 2019. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

House Speaker Glen Casada plans to resign upon his return from a trip to Europe.

“When I return to town on June 3rd, I will meet with Caucus leadership to determine the best date for me to resign as Speaker so that I can help facilitate a smooth transition,” Casada (R-Franklin) said in a statement.

Casada’s long-planned vacation is scheduled to begin Friday. The decision to resign from the chamber’s top leadership post follows an overwhelming vote of no confidence from the House Republican Caucus on Monday. Gov. Bill Lee had said he would call a special legislative session if Casada did not resign.

“Speaker Casada has made the right decision, and I look forward to working with the legislature to get back to conducting the people’s business and focusing on the issues that matter most to our state,” Lee said in a statement.

Senate Speaker Randy McNally (R-Oak Ridge) also lauded the decision.

“Speaker Casada announcing his intent to resign is the right decision for the legislature, the Republican Party and the statem,” McNally said. “I commend him for it. Now we move forward. I am committed to working with leadership in the House to help restore the trust that has been lost in any way I can.”

23 Responses to Casada to resign upon return from trip abroad

• Jason Wallflower says:

Glen’s vacation takes priority over Tennessee. Great.

• MARLE says:

In his own sweet time, when he gets around to it apres-vacation, I hope his resignation statement will be Stuart-esque in tone……. ” I did nothing wrong except to have a “lighthearted” couple of messages (which should have been private) with which you shiv-wielding, so-called Republicans have chosen to destroy me. All of my choices, from hiring that upstanding Cothren fellow to my locker room cheer leading are consistent with a leadership profile but I am a modern day Job, beset on all sides.”

I trust we won’t have any Felicity Huffman-styled contrition on display. Maybe Stuart will offer to help draft the perfect “what’s the big deal” statement.

I just heard a report on WTN that Glen has also “resigned” from his day job with Merck. In our increasingly totalitarian, not simply authoritarian but I say again TOTALITARIAN, country when so many corporations are run by high priests of our secular religion of political correctness when you are outed as having “incorrect” thoughts you are hounded, threatened and you lose your livelihood as well.

I ask those of you who are members of our state religion, do you not see what is happening to our country? Are you so ignorant of political history that you are oblivious to the well-traveled road we are following? I will continue to do my best to resist the forces of political correctness and what it is doing to this country but as a childless only child I say again, if it’s OK with all of you I will try to convince myself that it should certainly be OK with me..

• MARLE says:

Stuart……I am sure you could persuade Marsha, who with her out-sized influence?, could persuade Trump to offer him a high profile, well paid position. There is nothing he has done that would preclude working for Donald Trump. In fact everything would recommend him for an inner circle job.

We all have a blind spot, or maybe more than one. That you continue to focus on the shortcomings and consequences of Glen Casada and fail to see this saga as part of a larger picture of societal intolerance gripping our country reveals yours.

• MARLE says:

And to remind you, Stuart, this is NOT about political correctness for many of us. It is about a lack of discretion which for someone in leadership means vulnerability to compromise/and or blackmail.

Viewed as such then we go back to the “tempest in a teapot” three year old occurrence that I believed this to be which harmed no one and enriched no one and merited embarrassment, a slap on the wrist, and moving on. No, it is more than that. It is a tempest in a teapot involving an outspoken powerful conservative who has been outed as harboring “incorrect” thoughts which thanks to the ability of our propagandists for our state secular religion in the media to convert into a level three or more hurricane we see punishment so out of proportion to the “crime” so as to outrage those of us who are dissenters to this particular religion.

Mr. Golden, Perhaps Merck had a clause in his contract that he is supposed to act ethical on or off the job. If so, perhaps he should not have signed up.
        Just supposin…

• Perry Aubric says:

Stuart, he lied to his colleagues. He lied to them. To their faces. Then had to admit that he lied and tried to apologize for it. That has nothing to do with your straw man argument about political correctness. But you conveniently never mention that. Even if you are willing to give a pass to ignoring cocaine use, participating in vulgar sex texts, taking part in overtly racist messages (apparently, only you and a handful of others do), that alone would make me want to oust him as speaker were I in the General Assembly.

Sad that you have such a low bar for acceptable conduct among our top leaders. Thankfully, there are better, more ethical, more decent members able to replace Casada. You can continue to play the role if clueless partisan in total denial on this site.

• Christina Norris says:

Stuart, here’s what I don’t understand: Casada has repeatedly defended men who have committed sexual assault (Durham and Boyd). If the problem with sexual assault is just that it’s ‘not politically correct,’ then God save us. Sexual assault is a crime – as it should be.

• Christina Norris says:

Stuart, Casada has repeatedly defended and protected men who have committed sexual assault (Durham and Byrd). If your only concern about sexual assault is that it’s ‘not politically correct,’ then God save us all. Sexual assault is a crime, as it should be.

Republican activists in Williamson County instinctively defended Durham, a good looking, clean cut conservative with a most attractive wife who rapidly rose to a leadership position in the House and seemed to have a great future ahead of him until the evidence built and it was decided he had to go. Exactly when Glen got off the Durham train I don’t remember but the basic tale is one that was repeated many times by those who personally knew Jeremy myself included. As to Byrd, I’m sorry, we all want to see sexual predators locked up where they can do no harm. They are the least sympathetic specimen in existence. Ladies, however, have to cooperate in bringing predators to justice. Showing up after decades accusing men of this and that so that the accused have no way of defending themselves is not what I call cooperation. The voters of Byrd’s district who know the facts better than either of us apparently agreed insofar as they re-elected Byrd by an overwhelming majority.

No one confuses sexual assault with lack of political correctness including Glen. What Glen did was to engage in “guy talk” on a forum that caused it eventually not to be confined to the guys.

• Blue Lady says:

Glen resigned from Merck a week ago!

• John Stewart says:

Casada resigned for only one reason: every recognized Republican leader in Tennessee declared he had to go, starting with the Governor and the Lt. Governor and including the Republican State Chairman.
    He could leave on his own initiative or he could get booted out. The fact that he could muster only 24 votes in his own caucus–among members upon whom he had bestowed all sorts of goodies–sealed Casada’s fate. Those who fancy themselves beyond the reach of common decency and common sense run the real risk of discovering that those values can still apply, even in the Tennessee General Assembly. Keep hope alive!

• Phil Lassiter says:

All this talk of Conservative Casada. He helped Cameron sexton try to pass a bill to do away with the electoral college. He was the main driver behind the gas tax increase. He voted for an Article V convention, for God’s sake!!!!!!

I know nothing about Glen’s activity re: doing away with the electoral college, but both sides of the gas tax debate and the debate about the desirability of an Article V convention contain conservatives so I’m afraid those two policy debates have to be discarded as litmus tests of conservative rectitude so we can still talk about Glen being a fine conservative.

• John says:

Dang, I had not thought about it until you brought it up. This may be just the impetus to propel Glen into the national spotlight and even more influential positions. After all any publicity is good publicity as long as they spell you name right.

• David Collins says:

Ah, there is no sound so thunderously loud as that made by the self righteous when they topple down from the pedestal that they placed themselves on and come crashing down to the deck below.

• Lenny says:

The editor of the Tennessee Star was just ordered to pay nearly $200,000 in unpaid child support. Family Values?

Lenny, it sounds as though you belong to the Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii) School of Domestic Relations that prescribes men do nothing but “Shut-up and step up. Do the right thing” by which she meant do exactly what the woman wants you to do – no questions asked. I am sure my friend Steve Gill is not a member of the Mazie Hirono School but as a law school graduate he will proceed to use every legal means in order to see that he is not fleeced by his ex-wife and her attorney as he has every right to do. This has nothing to do with “Family Values” to answer your question.

• Pingback: Wednesday, May 22