Casada says support among GOP caucus remains ‘overwhelming’

House Speaker Glen Casada (R-Franklin) presides over a floor session in Nashville on April 23, 2019. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

House Speaker Glen Casada says he still has “overwhelming” support among fellow Republicans in the chamber despite the resignation of of chief of staff amid allegations of racist text, drug use in his office, and soliciting sex acts with an intern and lobbyist.

“If you look at the results of what we’ve done in the House of Representatives, I think no one can dispute things have run smoother than they have in a generation, and we have had bold conservative leadership,” Casada told told WTN-FM’s Brian Wilson.

“Based on my conversations with them, they are proud to have someone in charge that’s leading them in a direction of making Tennessee the most conservative state,” he said.

The text message exchange included Cothren boasting to Casada about having sex with a woman in a Nashville restaurant they had attended together.

“I participated in locker room talk with two adult men that was not intended to go to anyone else and I was wrong,” the Franklin Republican said “In the last several years, that kind of talk has not entered or left my mouth.”

Casada said the text messages were released by a “disgruntled employee” who vowed to take down Cothren and Casada after being fired.

“Cade did an excellent job. Three years ago, he came to me and said he had a problem. He said he was struggling. And he didn’t say what it was, but I knew what it was, and that he wanted a second chance to turn his life around. I gave him that and his did turn his life around,” Casada said.

“Why he is resigning is things that he did before he turned his life around,” he said. Casada denied prior knowledge of Cothren’s drug use or soliciting sex acts from other women at the Capitol complex.

10 Responses to Casada says support among GOP caucus remains ‘overwhelming’

This “gotcha” mentality that has afflicted our politics is such a bore! Glen is a fine conservative who pushes the legislature as far to the right as it will go. Now all we need is more good conservatives willing to serve in the General Assembly and Republican voters willing to vote for them in the primary.

• MarLE says:

Creepy and stupid is Not a good combination. Who trades immature and creepy text messages with a guy who is in melt down with every likelihood that his digital life will be laid bare eventually?

I see the name cassida and I still think Pee Wee.

Glen speculated on a guy and lost. I rarely do that sort of thing with stocks, NEVER with human beings but then again, Christians are supposed to do that sort of thing and without doubt Glen is a much better Christian than I.

I know that I wouldn’t like every private conversation that I ever had revealed in public for evaluation and furrowed brow analysis. That’s part of the “gotcha” nonsense that the chattering class wastes so much time chatting about that has me lunging for the remote for relief.

All of this changes nothing. Glen is a fine man who is doing a fine job and makes one think that it sure is swell having a Speaker who is a conservative LEADER in the state House for a change.

• Jason Wallflower says:

You are a charlatan Stuart, not a conservative. Glen has done and said some very grotesque things that have come to light in the last few days. Our Republican party needs to be better and have better leaders in the mold of Ronald Reagan, not Donald Trump. Character and class should still matter.

You apparently personally knew Ronald Reagan. How fascinating! By all means you must tell us more about the real Ronald Reagan rather than the carefully choreographed image we see that was professionally crafted to meet the sensibilities of mid twentieth century America. What I would really be interested in knowing are some of those private conversations Ronny had with his fellow showbiz types as a good looking young actor. You know the kind of conversations that he would never dream would ever be made public and indeed could not be made public given the technology of the time.

Jason, you are simply too sensitive like too many Republicans and your sensitivity causes you to be too easily undone by the slightest deviation from your Rules of Rectitude. We are in a struggle with the Democrats who are continuously moving left and it would be best if you modify your Rules of Rectitude to make you a more effective Republican so as to meet this threat.

• MarLE says:

Casada is not a “good looking YOUNG anything”. This is not impertinent youth at work here, Stuart.

And it isn’t taking a chance on someone. In that case you try to bring the person along , you don’t get down to his level. Nothing, and I mean nothing, should be in text that you don’t want the world to see. What mature, responsible Leader doesn’t know that? Blackmail and/or exposure are weapons you shouldn’t be giving to you potential enemies as was done here.

• Tom Matthews says:

Do as I say, not as I do.

• Cannoneer2 says:

So the end justifies the means….

• Mike in TN says:

SO the GOP caucus supports this “proud Christian” who knowingly employed and refused to fire a bigot who texted to him “thug nigger” and traded jokes with him about touching a woman’s vagina, am I correct in that?

They overwhelmingly support a man who went on Phil Valentine’s radio show and told flat out lies, which even Valentine was calling him out over, on the text messages, the fake email dates, and other things. I just want make sure I am clear as to what the GOP cacus “overwhemlingily supports.”

That’s some proud Christianity right there huh?

• Mike in TN says:

Just to be clear, the measure of the morality of a man is what he does when he is in private, not what he doesn’t think is going to be found out. Proud Christian conservatives do not engage in this “locker room talk” as seems to be the new excuse of the day.

A tiger doesn’t change his stripes. When will Republicans cut these cancers out of their party and elect people with actual morals and values who live by them instead of proclaiming them on their websites for votes? Brood of vipers and snakes…

““I participated in locker room talk with two adult men that was not intended to go to anyone else and I was wrong,” the Franklin Republican said “In the last several years, that kind of talk has not entered or left my mouth.”

“I got caught up in the moment at that time, and participated in that text messaging the two adult men,” he said. “And that is not me today.””