Casada releases ‘action plan … to prevent future missteps’

House Speaker Glen Casada (R-Franklin) speaks to Republican colleagues in Nashville on April 23, 2019. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

Speaker Glen Casada (R-Franklin) has released a statement about his plans for responding to the text messaging scandal that has enveloped his office:

I take complete ownership over the text messages with inappropriate comments about women that I exchanged with my former Chief of Staff and another individual several years ago. It’s embarrassing and humbling to have it displayed in this manner. I apologize and hope that my friends, family, colleagues, and constituents find a way to forgive me for it because it is not the person I am and it hasn’t been the way I have conducted myself as Speaker.

I’d also like to take the time to express my sincere disappointment for the myriad of other messages between my former Chief of Staff and another individual that have surfaced which included racial slurs, drug use, and various other inappropriate comments. I condemn them in their entirety and I do not tolerate that type of behavior as an elected official or as a human being.

Moving forward, I have put together an action plan to be executed by members of my staff, members of the House Ethics Committee, and the joint legislative offices that seeks to provide clarity to what has transpired, as well as ensure that I am doing everything within my power to prevent future missteps. I look forward to executing this plan as I work towards establishing trust where it has been broken and ensuring that the House is more ready than ever to conduct the people’s business.

Here’s the “Action Plan”

• Speaker Casada has written today to the TBI and to the District Attorney Generals’ Conference asking them to investigate, as expeditiously as possible, the email from Mr. Justin Jones that was forwarded by former Chief of Staff Cade Cothren to the District Attorney’s office. The TBI and the District Attorney will have the full cooperation of the Speaker’s office, the House of Representatives, and Legislative Information Services. Although we are confident that the email was not forged, an independent investigation is welcomed.
  • The House Ethics Committee has been asked by Speaker Casada to meet to review the termination of former Chief of Staff Cade Cothren. In addition, the committee with the assistance of Connie Ridley, Director of Legislative Administration, is being asked to review our personnel policies and to investigate the possibility of drug testing for new They will look at the implications of implementing this policy. In addition, the Ethics Committee will be consulting with members and staff on how we can improve our policies and training for members and staff regarding our policies.
  • The Speaker’s office along with Legislative Administration is reviewing our current operations for any existing violations of the legislature’s personnel policies. If any violations are found, they will be addressed
  • The Speaker’s office met with the Black Caucus, and Speaker Casada is in the process of scheduling a meeting with them to express his apologies for the racist texts sent by former Chief of Staff, Cade Cothren. The Black Caucus will be working with the Speaker’s office and other members and staff to create appropriate diversity training for members and

17 Responses to Casada releases ‘action plan … to prevent future missteps’

• Beth says:

Super curious to know what this “action plan” entails.

• Lenny says:

Casada is putting the Stuart Anderson spin on his hypocrisy now.

• Phil Lassiter says:

I have always appreciated Mr. Anderson’s comments, but it is obvious no one from Williamson County wants to lose the Speakership. It has been bought with many hard dollars

• Lenny says:

Possibility of Drug testing for “new employees”? We need to test the current Speaker for cocaine today!

• Jonathan Swift says:

All members of the state government should be subject to random drug testing (including alcohol) like many of the people they represent or police or prosecute. Same goes for the federal government.

• Lenny says:

You know the majority of legislators have a BAC over .08 during their drive to work because they’re so hung over from the night before.

• Phil Lassiter says:

Didn’t Susan Lynn freak out and have to be admitted to the hospital because a Speaker made ‘locker room talk’ around her some time ago? Glen appointed her Chair of Finance though-so good to know that trumps fear of sexual harassment. Glad it’s cleared up. The whole House of Cards gonna come down. Can someone make sure I’m right about her? Almost positive she freaked out over less one time because it didn’t benefit her

• Jason Wallflower says:

What a joke.

Here’s the “Action Plan”
    He forgot: #5 – Resign

Right up your alley James, no one to support, only Republicans to criticize. It must be like Christmas in May to you. CONGRATULATIONS!

Stuart, your Republicans are leading us down the road of ruin, abet not as fast as the Democrats, but they are headed to the same cliff.
        Congratulations right back at you big guy.
        We need Constitutionalists and the Republicans ain’t it.

• David Thomas says:

How about supporting the State and the Citizens and leave the partisan crap out of it. Everyone has known for a long time that Casada is a “bad egg”. Democrat or Republican, this legislature is sinking to new lows.

• David White says:

I thought he said this was a fake news hit job.? The Republican Party has sunk to new lows. The Democrats have scumbags too, but at least they took action when it was needed.

• Pingback: Thursday, May 9

• John Taylor says:

I don’t ask my preacher to legislate, and I don’t ask my legislator to preach. Let’s move on.