Casada denounces Carter criticism as a ‘disgrace’

House Speaker Glen Casada (R-Franklin) attends a House Education Committee meeting in Nashville on March 27, 2019. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

House Speaker Glen Casada is condemning criticism from fellow Republican Rep. Mike Carter as “a deliberate attempt to mislead and an absolute disgrace.”

Carter this week issued a lengthy statement denouncing what he called efforts by the speaker to “rig and predetermine” the findings of an advisory opinion by the House Ethics Committee to cast him in the best possible light before a GOP caucus meeting to determine whether he still has the support of his colleagues amid a text messaging scandal.

Carter forwarded the statement to the full caucus on Friday, and Casada responded with the following email:

From: Glen Casada
Date: May 17, 2019 at 5:51:16 PM EDT
Subject: RE: Statement

[Excerpt from Carter email:] “I could argue that the text messages are disqualifying. I could argue that knowing and failing to report felony criminal conduct is his presence is disqualifying. I could argue that spending $7 million to operate his office more that Speaker Beth Harwell is disqualifying but respectfully I state that attempting to pre-determine an opinion from the Ethics Committee is the final straw for me.”

Members,
The above paragraph was lifted from a letter just submitted to each and every one of you from Representative Mike Carter. I copy and paste it so you can read it and understand this as another example of absolute fiction being perpetuated as fact.

I readily admit to each of you that I sent inappropriate text messages three years ago that made inappropriate jokes about women. If you believe the handful of texts that I sent disqualify me as Speaker, then I must accept that and move on.

I have not or would never fail to report any felony conduct. This District Attorney is in the midst of concluded his investigation into emails sent by my office and I remain confident that my staff and I will be cleared of any wrongdoing very soon.

I have not spent $7 million more than Speaker Harwell on operating expenses. The Governor included $4 million for the House and $2 million for the Senate in his proposed budget because there has not been an increase in the legislative budget in quite some time. After conferring with the Senate, the amount was reduced to roughly $3 million for the House and $1.5 for the Senate. My plan is to use this money for across the board salary increases for staff. If any member would like for me to do otherwise I am happy to discuss it further.

Finally, to address the most maddening allegation made to date, I have done absolutely nothing to influence any work of the Ethics Committee. Period. To suggest so is a slap in the face to any legal staffer or committee member who actually attempted to work on the advisory opinion that I requested. The Ethics Committee is split 5-5 in a bipartisan manner and I asked for the request in earnest. If anyone would like to call me, including Representative Carter, I’m happy to discuss it further.

This letter is nothing more than a deliberate attempt to mislead and an absolute disgrace from someone that should know better. At the very least, he should have had the decency to call me first.

Respectfully,
Glen

16 Responses to Casada denounces Carter criticism as a ‘disgrace’

Casada, step down.

• John says:

Stay the course, Mr. Casada.

• Perry Aubric says:

Totally corrupt, arrogant, sleazy, unethical, predatory, misogynist, racist scumbag. Unfit for high office. The Republican supermajority has many members far more qualified, every bit as conservative, and immensely more ethical to serve as Speaker. It’s not as though there is any benefit to the Democrats to get rid of him–in fact, from a political point of view, he has become a political liability to the GOP and a political asset to the Dems. There is no chance, either way, that the Republicans lose their supermajority or endanger their agenda. But, right now, they cannot claim the high ground.

What he can claim is that there has been a feeding frenzy of unsubstantiated charges against Glen motivated by either ideological considerations and/or leadership ambitions. There is simply no evidence that Glen has done anything to warrant his removal as speaker. In Glen we already have the most conservative Speaker in memory and many calling for Glen’s removal are distinctly less conservative than the Speaker. It would be foolhardy for conservatives to assist centrists and tepid conservatives in attempting to replace Glen with someone more ideologically to their liking.

Conservatives should oppose any rush to judgement by a mob stirred up by the least conservative elements of the Republican Party and the liberal media. Stand firm Glen, I’m just sorry I missed you Thursday night at which time I would have joined so many others in pledging my support.

• Jonathan Swift says:

As with others of his ilk, Stuart believes the ends justify the means.

Nice aphorism you’ve got there Jonathan but it doesn’t really fit the situation at this time. All Glen did was engaged in what was surely meant to be a friendly private exchange with a subordinate that a political enemy made public confident that it would upset the easily upset and hopefully lead to Glen’s resignation and replacement with a centrist Republican more to their liking. Exactly what end was Glen trying to achieve by means of this inconsequential conversation.

My position at this time is simply that there has to be more evidence of actual wrongdoing on Glen’s part before conservatives lend their efforts to causing him to vacate the Speakership. Rumors of Casada wrongdoing spread by the liberal media is not evidence and conservatives should not do anything to assist the liberal’s alchemy in which they seek to transform what are simply rumors into evidence of Glen’s wrongdoing.

• David White says:

This comment is so laughable. You have zero credibility at this point.

• MARLE says:

“Having pictures” is a phrase used to suggest undo influence.

Cothren could be a very effective “influencer-for-hire” going forward b/c it seems hard to believe that these messages between “father and son” are limited to the few that have surfaced thus far.

What would a besieged person, determined to hold onto power, do in the face of any additional leaks, especially by a principal?

• Jonathan Swift says:

Replace “Glen” and “Casada” with “Trump” in your response and we see that you are faithful to the current Republican playbook. Absolute power to impose your self-serving will over others (the ends) requires amoral, hypocritical agents who value money over character (the means).

• jason wallflower says:

Stuart, Glen lied throughout this entire ordeal. He said things that are offensive to women, people of color, etc. He first denied it all, then we found out he did in fact know. In fact, he blamed it all on liberal activists.

On top of that, the FBI is investigating him. Glen elevated someone to COS AFTER they had texted racist things to him. Glen refused to sign an affidavit (major red flag). Glen hired someone to do political work on the state payroll and didn’t even require them to show up to work. So much corruption has been uncovered that I know that I’m missing something here.

Bill Haslam says he needs to go.
            Bill Lee says he needs to go.
            Marsha Blackburn insinuated he needs to go.
            Lamar Alexander insinuated he needs to go.
            Lt. Gov McNally says he needs to go.
            Tim Burchett says he needs to go.
            Phil Roe says he needs to go.
            Multiple legislators in both chambers say he needs to go.

Bottom line is that Casada can’t even do his job now. He has to go. Glen is a stain on Tennessee.

• Lenny says:

When are you going to realize Stuart is actually Glen Casada or one of his texting Minuteman pee boys? Nobody else is defending Daddy Casada.

• Lenny says:

Casada text: “If you have any information for the FBI, why don’t you call me first? 😉 LOL Make daddy happy!”

• Phil Lassiter says:

Insidious abuse of power being allowed in TN

• LeeAnn C. says:

I’m looking forward to the end of this debacle! I read Rep. Carter’s full statement as well as Mr. Casada’s. Rep. Carter has more credibility with me. Each statement in which Mr. Casada attempts to minimize those original texts is disgusting. He is not demonstrating remorse, exaggerates the timeline and doesn’t own his lack of fiscal responsibility. Clearly, there was a heavy hand on the Ethics committee. His denial throws others under the bus. Step down and work on regaining credibility with your constituents before the next election, Mr. Casada.

• Phil Lassiter says:

I saw where a guy named Monty Lankford weighing in now on Casada in Tennessean today. Maybe some reporting needs to be done on Lankford’s finances and how he has treated investor money and his own kin

• Bob Fischer says:

I think Casada just needs to get an eight-ball, get all these republicans up to his office, snort up a bunch of lines and come to a consensus. Just like he apparently has been doing. I sure as hell don’t know what gave anyone the idea that this guy was ethical to begin with.