Carr cleans up: Perennial candidate lands $135K job with Lee adminstration

Former state Rep. Joe Carr (R-Lascassas) announces his U.S. Senate bid in January 2013.

Former state Rep. Joe Carr — the failed candidate for the U.S. Senate, U.S. House (twice), state Senate, and state Republican party chairman — has landed a job with Gov. Bill Lee’s administration. The Tennessean reports the job will pay $135,000 per year.

Carr’s new position will be assistant commissioner of the state Department of Environment and Conservation, the Nashville Post first reported.

Carr decided against running for re-election to the state House in 2014 to instead mount a challenge to U.S. Rep. Scott DesJarlais (R-Sout Pittsburg). But he abandoned that bid to instead challenge U.S. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Maryville). He did better than expected in that campaign, but still lost by 9 percentage points.

He then mounted a failed challenge to GOP Chairman Chris Devaney (top Lee adviser during the governor’s race and in the current administration). Then came a challenge to U.S. Rep. Diane Black (R-Gallatin) in 2016. He lost that one by a 2-to-1 margin.

And last year Carr ran for the Republican nomination to succeed Republican state Sen. Jim Tracy of Shelbyville. Carr lost to Shane Reeves 65% to 35%.

Carr made an early endorsement of Lee during the Republican gubernatorial primary as the businessman was still finding his feet in the campaign and staving off claims by rivals that he wasn’t sufficiently conservative.

Carr’s hiring was announced to TDEC employees in a recent email touting his business experience.

“[Carr] most recently served as chief operating officer for Superior Walls, a concrete construction company, where he was accountable for the safety and management of more than 50 employees,” according to the email.

42 Responses to Carr cleans up: Perennial candidate lands $135K job with Lee adminstration

So glad Joe has been finally rewarded for his early support of Lee’s gubernatorial ambitions. Joe’s disdain for Diane led him astray on that decision but otherwise he is a solid committed conservative who is a welcome addition to the Lee administration.

CONGRATULATIONS JOE!!!!

• MarLE says:

Are you sure, Stuart, that it wasn’t disappointment in Diane rather than disdain. Pretty strong characterization. And going astray is in the eye of the beholder.

• Cannoneer2 says:

What we have here is Tennessee state government being used as a very expensive job bank for washed up politicians. It isn’t just this administration either. Remember Jason Mumpower? Got “cheated” out of the Speaker’s job, but….voila! A six figure position in the Comptroller’s Office magically appears! That drastically increased the pool of money available for comic book purchases! Some things don’t change.

Hopefully joe’s legislative career is over. Anyone that supports an Article V Constitutional Convention should be drummed out of office.

• June landrum says:

When will an east Tennessean be appointed by gov lee. I have seen only one and that is the one haslam ask him to appoint. Go mark green next senator for tnjune

• MarLE says:

Isn’t Randy Boyd an East Tennessean?

• June landrum says:

Randy Boyd is acting Utk president and gov lee had nothing to do with that appt that I know of. Goind appointmen to a committee well that just doesn’t cut a real job like Carr received. I don’t mind carr getting a job but East ten has recd very littlle unless you want to count Chris devaney. He lived on one of the chatt mountains but is from Texas I think. He was my former chmn on sec and I am proud of him. Do you know of any real job appointments of anyone in East Tennessee? If so let me know and I just might change my mind on gov lee.

• Eddie White says:

June, I voted for Lee in the general election, but I voted for Boyd in the primary. I don’t think you will see many east Tennesseans appointed by Lee. He prefers the Williamson County Republican Party.

• Andrew Carr says:

Tilman Goins was appointed to a commission office.

June, you mean the Mark Green that voted for: H.R.676 – NATO Support Act . I suppose he supports the UN running our military and supports ‘perpetual war for perpetual peace’ aka the Military Industrial Complex; And the same Mark Green that voted for the U.S. Tax payers to pay for Europe’s energy solution to get away from Putin’s Russia. Yes he voted for US to pay for their Solar panels, windmills, smart grid, and gas pipe lines.
      That Mark Green?

Let’s wait until the new Heritage scorecard comes out to see how our three new congressmen are doing based on the 21st century definition of “conservative” rather than the 19th.

• MarLE says:

Since I am the one who casts a vote then it should be MY definition of conservative that means the most to me. I’ll do my own assessment. The Heritage scorecard…. notwithstanding (there was a more creative way to phrase that but I decided against using it).

Indeed, that is as it should be for all of us, but for me the very best generic definition of whose a conservative is determined by “mainstream” conservatives that the dissident right-wing types call Conservative Inc. and there is no more venerable, wealthier organization in Conservative Inc. than The Heritage Foundation and its political arm Heritage Action.

Last time I looked the Heritage scorecard was based on some 60 votes at the end of a congressional session along with sponsorships of legislation all reduced to a neat mathematical formula. All 530 members of Congress evaluated on the same basis. Not a bad shorthand way of getting a general feel of where a member of Congress stands. It simply reduces itself to either Heritage or James White and I choose Heritage.

• MarLE says:

By their fruits shall I know them…..Heritage’s scorecard, racing form, cliff notes or whatever you want to call them are nothing I trust. They and I simply have a different definition of conservative~ clearly~ based on TN observations.

• June landrum says:

Well if he is so bad, how did he get to where he is today? I would normally want an East Tennessean but mark is doing so well in dc and seems to be making a hit.

• MarLE says:

Being a big hit in DC is hardly an endorsement for those who want a conservative. His record going forward may be excellent but that remains to be seen.

• June landrum says:

Hopefully mark will get some help from trump if he is still in office. I don’t think haslam will receive any. Many will cling to trumps coat tail for a victory.

• Susan says:

Joe McCord from Kingsport was appointed Commissioner of Labor and Workforce.

• June landrum says:

Is this the same joe McCord from maryville , then Beth’s chief of staff then I thought he moved west of Nashville. Must be another one.

• Not Stuart Anderson says:

Glad to see the new Asst. Commissioner is so highly experienced in matters of envirnmental conservation. The concrete wall industry is world-renowned for it’s stewardship of the environment… (insert eye roll smiley here)

Cronyism runs strong and deep in the current administration. Credentials and experience not so much…

Ah, but NSA that’s where you are wrong. Joe has the best possible credentials for his new position that more than makes up for any shortcomings he may have as an experienced “environmental conservationist.” You see, Joe is a long-time proven solid conservative so he has a natural skepticism leading to down right hostility regarding the envirofanaticism that, for example, has a 29 year-old Congressman who a few months ago was a bartender causing the control freaks of the environmental “movement” to run around screaming that we have twelve years to live unless we throw $trillions here and there as they command. As you know, I have grave doubts about Bill Lee but in his appointment of Joe Carr he has given us precisely what the doctor ordered.

• MarLE says:

Ocasio-Cortez majored in international relations and economics at Boston University, graduating cum laude in 2011. Bars across America are full of college educated~ on both sides of the railing.

Funny, Boston University is one of the schools I successfully applied to and my wisdom, even a few months past my 17th birthday, was demonstrated insofar I chose to leave the hopelessly liberal community in which I was born and raised and I chose not to go to Boston University. My wisdom, even many years later, is shown by the fact that I don’t choose to look to an international relations and economics major about seven years out of college for counseling on environmental matters. Finally, have you ever heard of the virtual nonstop nonsense that comes out of the mouth of Rep. Cortez? As I recall the cum laude graduate who thinks that socialism is just swell had a little difficulty identifying the three branches of the federal government. No matter, BU fields great hockey teams.

• MarLE says:

She is not my cup of tea, for sure. Her Green “cr** is nuts. But unless you think Eisenhower, Kennedy and Nixon were Marxists, her call for a Real progressive income tax is not, in the age of 22T debt, that off the wall.

Google the TAX Table for 1946 or any of the next 30 yrs when those who fought WW2 came back to the US and paid Real progressive taxes to pay off the war rather than leave it to future generations deal with. What we have now is a progressive income tax for those making $500K and after that it is a Flat Tax.

• June landrum says:

• MarLE says:

A 9 to 5 year round job in downtown Nashville? Is that what this means?

• June landrum says:

I suppose it is. I forget the counties have employment also. We went to Nashville with the Winfield Dunn administration. That is where my mind is. We stayed 30 yrs and enjoyed it so. We are now retired and still enjoying the fruits of Nashville.

Joe Carr, when he was in the legislature, eviscerated his own mandatory E-Verify bill in order to please the business lobby and then claimed he had passed an E-Verify bill, which it was not. It was a trick bill. At least Jim Tracy, the senate sponsor, had the sense to be embarrassed by it even though he went along with it. We still do not have mandatory E-Verify on all employers in this state. Tracy later came back with a bill, now law, that requires employers of 50 or more employees to use E-Verify. This is far from sufficient. Require it of all employers, public and private.

Carr is not a conservative. He voted for nonconservative fiscal things that, for example, Judd Matheny did not. You could throw rocks, or marshmallows, all day in the Capitol and never hit a conservative.

None of these elected and appointed are actually protecting or conserving our natural environment. They serve their fellow profiteers of destruction. The consequences will be far bigger than a few cherry trees. The liberals are just as destructive. Population growth is the major threat to the natural environment and to current and future natural resources — and quality of life.

Donna, population growth? Really?

• MarLE says:

And yet God commanded us to go forth and multiply. But apparently HE didn’t think we’d invent ways to live much past child bearing years. Long life, not reproduction, is our problem..financial and otherwise.

He thought of everything and knows everything. Our problem isn’t too many people, or too few resources, our problem is collectivism prohibiting freedom.

What is happening is not sustainable, Mickey. I could write a long essay on it, but the best windows of opportunity to change this have closed. Our population numbers will continue to climb for many years even if all immigration were stopped today. I focus on immigration numbers for several reasons, but the top reason for me has always been the fact that immigration and births to immigrants are what is driving U.S. population growth and consequent environmental destruction to accommodate the numbers.

The clustering will continue around the larger cities, creating sprawl far from the center. We already see this in Middle Tennessee. I watched it in Atlanta for 31 years and left there with asthma from the air pollution. I saw waterways polluted and destroyed by development. Entire ecosystems. More.

When I moved back here almost 17 years ago, I tried to warn Tennesseans. Those of us who have lived this are or were like travelers from the future. Your future. Now we see obsessing over some cherry trees by liberals and others who attacked those long-ago warnings like rabid dogs. The profiteers of destruction will run your life from now until it all collapses.

I think people should be forced to live with the consequences of their actions and inactions — live in the fullness of what they enabled — but unfortunately my kids and grandchildren will be there, too.

Oh, immigration, for awhile, I thought I was in the 1960-70’s and you were talking about the Population Bomb and Global Cooling! Scratch that.
            There are many things we could do to produce cleaner air and water, but Big Government doesn’t want that.

• FuzzyBagels says:

Freshman Rep. Bruce Griffey put up a boll that would have had employers of 6 or more employees have to use e-Verify, but it got amended to 25 to keep it moving.

• Cannoneer2 says:

Assistant Commissioner for Administrative Services. Sounds like something that should be outsourced. I would have to ask (quoting Office Space), “What is it, you say, you DO here??”

• Pingback: Thursday, April 4