Cagle sees Senate race as ‘Manny against the Machine’

It all goes back to 2014, Knox TN Today’s Frank Cagle writes in his latest column. That’s when incumbent U.S. Sen. Lamar Alexander lost 27 counties — including the incumbent’s home county of Blount — in the Republican primary to a “broke, no-name former state legislator,” Joe Carr. The prospects of credible, well-funded challenges were enough, Cable writes, to lead Alexander and fellow Sen. Bob Corker (R-Chattanooga) to retire and cause former Gov. Bill Haslam not to run for either seat.

Cagle is a former managing editor of the Knoxville News Sentinel and served as spokesman for Republican Van Hilleary’s 2002 gubernatorial campaign. He isn’t averse to throwing bombs in his opinion pieces, and this column is no exception.

The question Cagle raises is: “How does the cocktail party caucus retain control of the Republican political machine in the Age of Trump?”

Manny against the Machine

Haslam’s much-delayed decision not to run for Alexander’s seat this year “froze the field, dried up donors and forced [U.S. Rep. Mark] Green out of the race,” Cagle writes. When Haslam finally begged off, President Donald Trump was “primed to announce an endorsement of Hagerty to give him a clear field to glide into the seat.”

But hopes of clearing the field didn’t occur when Sethi jumped into the race — and has remained a thorn in the side of Hagerty’s efforts.

“Hagerty will be running a top-down campaign, Sethi will be running a bottom-up campaign,” according to Cagle. “While Hagerty was being introduced around the Neyland Stadium skyboxes by Haslam Saturday night, Sethi was at a Montgomery County chili supper.”

Hagerty’s ties to Trump critic Mitt Romney, the former presidential candidate and current U.S. senator, could hurt him among the president’s supporters in the state, Cagle writes:

A key to the race may be whether Trump wants to come to Tennessee and rally for Hagerty. It isn’t likely Romney will be getting an invitation.

For now, the rallying cry is Manny Against the Machine.

37 Responses to Cagle sees Senate race as ‘Manny against the Machine’

Yes, Hagerty is part of the ‘Deep State’. But WHERE DOES Sethi stand on the issues??????

• Perry Aubric says:

In case anyone doesn’t know what “deep state” is: “Deep state” is a paranoid right-wing fringe fantasy perpetuated by delusional outliers without any notable personal qualifications, experience or specialized knowledge who nevertheless fancy themselves as the only true arbiters of what the constitution means.

Case in point: see above.

• Lenny says:

Stuart will take a white moderate over sethi

• Lenny says:

How long until Trump rescinds his endorsement of Romney-loving Hagerty? #MannyMAGA

• The “Cocktail Party Caucus.” That line alone is gold.

No congressional race captured my finances, my efforts, and my heart more than did Joe Carr’s valiant fight against worthless Lamar (Heritage-50%) so it is painful to have Chairman Manny’s race thought of as having the slightest resemblance to Joe’s. Joe very much wanted to be a U. S. Senator but he served in the State House for six years BEFORE running for the U. S. Senate. When Joe ran he may have been a “. . .no name former state legislator” to the average voter, but he was widely acknowledged as a conservative leader in the House BEFORE he ran for the U. S. Senate.

In contrast, Chairman Manny is truly a No Record Candidate, a veritable cipher politically who simply has the money and the audacity to launch his first foray into politics by accepting no public office less than U. S. Senator. Even worse, despite running as a “conservative outsider’ there is no record of his having done anything to help the conservative movement despite his being a very rich man for a very long time. Further, his connection to three past chairmen of the Republican Party and Bill Frist makes his calling himself an “outsider” laughable. No record of being a conservative, and a most well connected “outsider, he apparently thinks we are gullible fools – VOTE HAGERTY!

• Lenny says:

No Record Trump from NYC is also supporting Haggerty

• Lance Persson says:

Mr. Anderson, it is hard to understand your thinking. You clearly show your disfavor with Senator Alexander (which I agree with) but then you go and support Hagerty who is clearly very much in principle with Alexander. Makes no sense.

Suggest you go on the internet and start research where Manny Sethi stands on the issues. The information is clearly there. Manny Sethi’s is without a doubt the much stronger conservative. As you like Joe Carr (and I do too) why not ask him for his advice on this issue. I would be shocked if he agreed with you on this question.

Lance, I will try to explain. Hagerty is the type of Republican “wet” that stands in the way of conservative dominance of the Republican Party who I relish voting against in any election in which a solid conservative is running. The problem conservatives have in this senate race is that no proven solid conservative is running.

If I had to prognosticate what Hagerty will do I would say that he will go to the Senate and be a reasonably loyal Trumpidian given his close relationship with Trump historically and the electoral inclinations of the voters of Tennessee. After Trump I expect him to fall back to being a typical establishment Republican with a Heritage score of between 70%-75%. On the bright side, lets not forget he is replacing worthless Lamar who scores 50% so electing Hagerty will surely make one of our Senators 25% more conservative.

When a political novice appears on the scene by definition he has no record which if he is running for a high office like U. S. Senate is bad enough. I would still vote for him, however, if he showed a consistent record of outstanding support for the conservative movement especially if he is running against a “wet” like Hagerty. So far Chairman Manny has shown absolutely nothing in his otherwise impressive record that shows any devotion to the conservative movement other than testimonials from some of his friends. This from a very wealthy man who is well out of puberty. I’m sorry, candidate’s internet pages, speeches, press releases, and statements during the heat of a campaign are a creation of his expensive campaign apparatus. What I want to see is a long history of consistent conservative involvement. Chairman Manny has thus far shown none and it’s long past time conservatives reject candidates who suddenly appear on the scene having no record in office and no record out of office. If nothing else, consistently doing so will encourage plutocrats who want to run for high office to contribute to chronically underfunded conservative campaigns and causes. VOTE HAGERTY AGAINST THE CHAIRMAN.

• Lenny says:

Stuart’s rules: Conservative over moderate. White over everything.

• David Collins says:

Stuart, Let me get this straight. you oppose the person you refer to as “Chairman Manny” because “he is truly a No Record Candidate” but you support Donald Trump, who likewise (using your scale) is also a No Record Candidate, or at least had no record as an elected official when he ran for president.

David, I was an Alternate Cruz delegate to the 2016 Republican National Convention because Trump was worse than a No Record Candidate, he had a long history supporting liberal Democratic candidates. I also spent a significant amount of money trying to get Cruz elected over Trump. I have my faults Lord knows, but inconsistency isn’t one of them.

• Phil Lassiter says:

Where in the world is Joe Carr now? He is obviously muzzled by Bill Lee. Apparently his principles didn’t extend past another’s checkbook

Joe is in an administrative rather than a political position so as part of Lee’s administration he is not paid to take political stands and it would not be right for him to do so.

• Joe C. says:

Thanks Stuart I appreciate the kind remarks. At this stage of my life I have many things to be thankful for. Toward the top of the list was the opportunity to carry the “conservative” banner in the 2014 Republican Primary. I am proud to say that our 16 month campaign visited every county and received over 271,000 votes with 41% the vote compared to Senator Alexander’s 49%. We were out spent $7 million to $1 million. Having said all that, the greatest benefit was meeting so many people like you across this state who share your passion for the Republic, this State and her people. Stand Firm

Too bad Joe voted FOR an Article V Constitutional Convention.

Sethi is not an outsider or detached from “the machine.” Good grief. And Joe Carr is not a conservative.

• Eddie White says:

Joe Carr is certainly a conservative by any reasonable standard. Regarding the Senate race, this looks like a primary I will skip. Not excited about either candidate. I am glad to see the vandy boy made it to Neyland Stadium. I guess there is a first time for everything. I wonder if Hagerty got Haslam his vandy teaching job?

Eddie, if Bill From Establishment Central Casting runs a campaign in which he starts throwing out chunks of red meat about what a table thumping conservative he is joining The Chairman in taking us for gullible fools I will join you in passing this one by.

• Molly Mann says:

I love this political stuff

• Phil Lassiter says:

Molly……you are an idiot

Molly, so do I so please ignore Phil, you are the second person he has called an “idiot” because the two of you have the nerve to disagree with him. I think he’s just having a bad day.

• Tim Skow says:

Some are experiencing ”SELECTIVE MEMORY” when it comes to the 2014 campaign(S) … of Mr. Carr. YES… the campaigns! …
    FIRST, Mr. Carr announced he’d be running for re-election to the State House…
    THEN…Mr. Carr announced he’d be running for Congress in the Republican primary

after finishing 4 in a 3-man poll [ he finished behind ”None of the above]
    THEN…Mr. Carr announced he’d be running for US Senate in the Republican primary against Mr. Alexander
    And while Jim DeMint and his team poured MILLIONS of $$ into the US Senate primaries of KY vs McConnell and MS primary against Thad Cochran … Mr. Carr got exactly $0.00 to primary Lamar.
    Those are the facts …and they are not part of ”SELECTIVE MEMORY” some are experiencing today.

And the fact remains that Joe took on the hitherto invincible but worthless Lamar and came amazingly close to beating him with Joe’s severely underfunded campaign. Where Joe was able to run his campaign in Middle Tennessee he won almost every county. He simply didn’t have the money to effectively run statewide. OH IF WE ONLY HAD A JOE CARR NOW!!!!!!!

• Tim Skow says:

Stuart … WHY … would you wish a feeble “Judge Roy Moore for US Senate campaign” …. like Alabama Republicans have suffered with the results of for the last 3 years … on the Republicans of Tennessee?? Good Grief !

I am about to go to bed and I want to have a sound nights sleep so I will try to do so by concluding that you are not seriously saying that Roy Moore and Joe Carr are somehow equivalent, but it will be difficult because it appears that is exactly what you are saying. That’s a joke, right? Equally as preposterous, are you saying that anyone in today’s Tennessee Democratic Party would have beaten Joe? Granted, Joe might not have won by as great a margin as worthless Lamar because the more bitter centrist Republicans would not vote or vote Democrat, but a Democrat actually winning a statewide race in Tennessee is simply out of the question. There is nothing feeble about Joe, in fact he would have captured the imagination of the voters of this state and solidified the Republican majority even further.

• LeeAnn C. says:

I haven’t had the opportunity to meet Mr. Hagerty as yet. I have met Dr. Sethi and he seems to be an honest, hard-working man who is deeply concerned about his country. Until I have the chance to meet and hear Mr. Hagerty, I won’t make my choice. There’s a lot of time until the primary and I grow weary of the ‘who is the most conservative’ war of words based on….what exactly? I hope they learned from the gubernatorial primary that many voters are turned off by mud slinging.

One thing is for sure, one will win the primary and either will hugely benefit Tennessee and the country more than Democrat Mackler. He’s singing the Democrat party line loud and strong and does not reflect a single value that I hold dear.

• Susan E Gingrich says:

Stuart, I appreciate your historical perspective and intellect. I’ve only been in TN a little over 4 years but have a real problem with TN politics at all levels, especially with CINOs (Conservatives in Name Only). Of course they aren’t unique to TN. It does seem that many Congressional representatives, especially in the Senate, lose their conservatism once elected.

• Lenny says:

Hagerty is a CINO, as Stuart will readily admit. Hagerty is much more liberal than Manny. Haggerty is also white. Stuart is supporting Hagerty.

Susan, you are correct. Especially look at Stuart’s hero, Marsha Blackburn, comes to town and says she votes like a conservative, goes to Washington and votes like a liberal.

• Edward says:

Since when does publishing a social media screed pass as journalism?