Bredesen announces sportsmen’s support group

A release from Democratic Senate candidate Phil Bredesen’s campaign:

UNIONVILLE, Tenn. — To mark the first day of dove hunting season in Tennessee on Saturday, September 1, the Bredesen for Senate Campaign is announcing the launch of the “Sportsmen and Sportswomen for Bredesen” group to provide a space for people who share similar interests — whether hunting, finishing, or enjoying the outdoors — to organize around Governor Phil Bredesen’s campaign for the U.S. Senate and highlight his support for issues that are important to them, such as tackling the Asian Carp invasion in Tennessee’s waterways.

Governor Bredesen will be hunting in Unionville on Saturday afternoon and will be joined by local Sportsmen for Bredesen supporters.

“Not only has Governor Bredesen listened to the concerns of the angler community while he’s on the trail, but he also responded with a proposal to help support our outdoors tourism economy,” said Jim Perry, retired West Tennessee fishing guide and a founding member of the Sportsmen and Sportswomen for Bredesen group.  “Our community has been begging for this type of leadership and attention for several years. Finally, someone is listening. No other federal representative from Tennessee has made any proposal regarding Asian Carp. It is clear: Bredesen will be our champion.”

Governor Bredesen is an avid outdoorsman and fisherman and has made it a priority to highlight local issues affecting this group of Tennesseans on the campaign trail. In May, after learning about the Asian Carp issue at the Paris Fish Fry, he wrote an op-ed focusing on the harm that Asian Carp is having on native fish in Tennessee’s lakes and rivers and offered solutions for how he would address this problem in the U.S. Senate.

48 Responses to Bredesen announces sportsmen’s support group

Please note, the Bredesen campaign, or should I say Operation Distraction, has Bredesen running for the U. S. Senate as though he was running for governor which will have him bring up many things, as many things as possible, that have absolutely nothing to do with being a U. S. Senator. He’s not confused, rather it’s all part of a very wise strategy because the last thing in the world he wants the voters of Tennessee to be thinking about is the primary issue in this campaign, i.e. the first vote Bredesen will cast as a senator when he votes to make Chuck Schumer Leader of the Senate, a vote that he and his supporters hope will be for Majority Leader at that.

Operation Distraction, the difficult but not impossible task of distracting Tennessee voters who elected Donald Trump by a comfortable majority so that they now elect a U. S. Senator who will vote to stop just about the entire Trump agenda in its tracks just two years after Trump’s election. No, he won’t be successful, but he is sure going to try.

• Bob Fischer says:

Pull your head out of your butt Stuart. The Asian Carp issue falls directly into TVA’s (a federal, not state agency) lap. Like the zebra mussel or any other invasive species that attacks a federal waterway, their threat is under the umbrella of federal not state jurisdiction.

Dove hunting is directed at the federal level by the migratory birds act, as is duck hunting.

Do you know anything about how our government actually works?

It’s past time we had a champion for sportsman’s rights, access to our national resources, and resource management in Washington. Real middle class people hunt, fish and enjoy our parks and waterways. This benefits everyone.

Or you could go to a Blackburn rally and listen to her explain that we are being too hard on those poor drug companies and that addiction is caused by personal weakness.

• MarLE says:

I thought her call was for More Money to fight the opioid crisis.

• Bob Fischer says:

Exactly. More money for who? My bet is it goes to her buddies in the drug testing industries and as subsidies to pharmaceutical companies to shore up their lost profits.

• Phil Lassiter says:

Phil = loss of Supreme Court and our national identity once and for all

• Tennessee Jed says:

Last I checked, Trump is President and controls nominations.

The Supreme Court could not possibly tilt towards the Dems until 2021, at the earliest. Even then, you would need a conservative justice to die or retire. None are really that close. Thomas is only 70. Imagine the worst case scenario. Trump is a one-term president and a Dem wins the Presidency in 2020 and holds it for 8 years. Thomas only needs to remain alive and kicking until 82 years old. Fairly likely given that these guys get the best medical attention available. Just look at what they are doing for Ginsburg.

Even if all of that happens, you really won’t see a massive change in our national identity. Don’t know what you even classify it as since it is constantly evolving. It is not some fixed state of being. Only about 15% of cases decided by SCOTUS are 5-4 majorities with conservatives and liberals split. The vast majority of cases are decided by much bigger margins. Also, the concept of stare decisis stops a wholesale turnover. The national identity would not be lost…..whatever that may be.

Ginsburg doesn’t look too well, have you seen her lately? Bottom line, her demise would surely be a wonderful opportunity to place another conservative justice on the court and there is simply no reason why a state like Tennessee that Trump carried with over 60% of the vote should not send a U. S. senator like Marsha to the senate to take advantage of this opportunity.

• MarLE says:

What happened to the need for Senate approval of SCOTUS nominees?

• Tennessee Jed says:

Still need Senate approval. But my point was that even if the Dems took over the Senate…which they won’t…..they would not be able to swing the court from a conservative majority to a liberal majority as President Trump controls who is nominated. Senate only gets to confirm. They can’t choose a nominee.

• Bob Fischer says:

What does the Supreme Court have to do with Asian Carp? As long as brilliant, ethical, people with a high degree of integrity and a respected resume in the interpretation of constitutional law are appointed, it really doesn’t matter where their political beliefs lie. What matters is that they are above partisanship and have a sound legal mind.

And those are the sorts of justices I look for from Bredeson. I expect him to thoroughly vet the nominee’s before him and vote in the best interest of Tennessee and the nation. Blackburn won’t act ethically.

When we start talking about Asian Carp instead of the effect our next senator will have on Trump nominations, that will be a sign that the Bredesen campaign’s Operation Distraction is successful. I hate to disappoint Bredesen and his liberal supporters but Republicans, and especially conservatives, are simply not going to let him get away with it.

• Eddie White says:

I would like to know if Bredesen supports the current nominee? He seems to meet your definition above, brilliant, ethical, respected resume, so where does Bredesen stand on the nomination? Blackburn supports him, but I have not heard anything from Bredesen. Maybe someone from the TNJ could ask Bredesen?

• Bob Fischer says:

Actually, Kavanaugh is something of a mystery candidate. Republicans are standing in the way of letting the national archives release his body of work so it has been impossible to vet the guy or get a real handle on exactly what kind of legal mind he possesses. All that is known for certain about the guy is that he’s not very good at living within his means which would leave him more vulnerable to being bribed, all things being equal.

• Tennessee Jed says:

Kavanaugh is a bright guy. He is highly qualified. No doubt. But he fails the impartiality test of a justice of the highest court. Comes from the political world and has been known to put party over the constitution. By far the worst nominee on Trump’s shortlist. There were some very good and highly qualified candidates on there.

I am okay if Bredesen doesn’t back him. I would have questioned Bredesen if he didn’t support any of the other names on the short list though.

• David Collins says:

Bob is correct. The Asian carp problem is a real problem, especially to fishermen. I don’t think it’s Bredesen who is trying to distract the voters, it’s Blackburn and her supporters who are going for the distraction. Stuart, bring up the Asian carp issue with a real sportsman, ask him if it’s a problem. I did once. And I got a twenty minute lecture from this guy, and his four friends sitting at his table, about just what a threat it poses to sport fishing in Tennessee. I doubt these guys would have gone for twenty minutes talking about SCOTUS and possible vacancies. And yes, I asked them, and they all said they voted for Trump and then asked me what the hell that had to do with what we were talking about. One even speculated that Trump probably wouldn’t know an Asian carp if it “bit him in the axx”

• MarLE says:

Stuart is most effective when he sticks to (rarely) the number one selling point for Marsha: she is not a democrat. As far as spending control, fair taxation, self-imposed term limits (all things that supposedly matter to the Club for Growth) she Should be getting a 0% rating. But, she is Not a Democrat and for that reason I will vote For her. But I cannot sweep her many shortcomings under the rug as Stuart always does. She will be better on Even those issues where I (and the C F G) find her lacking than her opposition.

You’re a true patriot MarLE. THANK YOU.

• MarLE says:

I am sure I was a true patriot for as long as you have been and since I actually take the time to critically think about issues and expect my politicians to defend what they do, perhaps I am a more of one than you are. And by the way, my vote is for a reason so basic that you had nothing to do with it and you don’t need to thank me for it. But I will be on this blog until election day; perhaps some folks won’t be as persuaded as I am that the merit of not being democrat is sufficiently deserving of a senate seat.

Indeed, and that’s why those of us who are right-of-center must not waste too much time and space bickering among ourselves because there is a world of misguided folks left-of-center who are sorely in need of evangelization so we best get to it.

OK, OK the Asian carp is a real problem and it was heroic for Bredesen to take a firm stand opposing it and as a freshman senator he will. . .well, he will redouble his opposition to the Asian Carp. However, here’s something Bredesen will really get to do in the unlikely event he succeeds in getting elected. He will absolutely, positively vote for Chuck Schumer to be the Majority Leader of the Senate. If Schumer is the Majority Leader, that means the ultra-liberal Democrats will control the chairmanship of every committee in the Senate and completely control the Senate agenda and the votes on Trump nominees.

For the good of this country David, please go back to your sportsmen and thank them for me for informing me through you about the danger of Asian Carp. In return, please tell them for me that if they voted for Trump and they would like to see Trump continue in Make America Great Again they better get their “axx” down to the polls 10/17 – 11/1 or on 11/6 and vote for Marsha Blackburn for U. S. Senate.

• MarLE says:

I will absolutely “get to it”. You can evangelize but you leave out so much that is important for those on the fence to know that I will be right here, pointing out the facts. For instance your statement that she has a 90% Club for Growth rating. I will be there to point out that on 3 of their 10 issues she is on the Wrong Side of their Issue Statements. So it will go til election day.

I don’t think you quite have this political thing down so perhaps I can help. Watch the liberals, they do so well because they are so devoted to winning so with the help of their allies in the news media, cultural leaders in Hollywood, and the indoctrination in our shamefully left-wing government schools and the vast majority of universities everything they do or say is devoted to winning.

You have already decided that in the contest between Marsha and Bredesen Marsha should win. Why on earth do you want argue with a well respected conservative organization like the Club For Growth that their lifetime rating for Marsha is too high? Ignoring for a moment that the CFG takes their rating very seriously and they spend full time on the Hill monitoring the votes of members of congress in order to come up with their ratings, of all ways to spend your time why be negative on someone you actually support? To put it mildly, it’s sort of difficult to understand. Then again, it’s like your choosing to live in Davidson County of all places in Mid-State Tennessee, I find you a bit. . .I believe the word is “quixotic.”

• Tennessee Jed says:

“Watch the liberals, they do so well because they are so devoted to winning”

That quote tells me you know nothing about the current state of political affairs. Democrats are at their weakest point in 100 years. They don’t control any of the three branches of federal government. Only 17 State legislatures and 18 Governorships. They are doing horrible.

You are correct and you make me feel a little better, but I have a feeling that this is a brief hangover from the Obama administration and Republicans doing particularly well before the last census which put them in charge of redistricting. I believe the entire culture and political spectrum is moving to the left, however, and I feel that this can’t help but be reflected in our election results in the near future so what you describe is a mere respite from march of history leftward.

• MarLE says:

I live in Davidson county for the purpose of care-taking a close relative…..not that’s its any of your business. I have been around political discourse and money management, in earnest, for the last 35 years. Your presumption that you need to “teach” me something of value is getting to be a bit much. I am motivated by my own considerable self-interest in putting a fiscal conservative in office, especially one who has a keen interest in tax fairness. Marsha does not meet that qualification at all. But my assumption is that Bredesen doesn’t either and may be worse on immigration. Illegal immigration and chain migration in a Welfare State, such as America has Become (wasn’t in prior waves) poses incredible economic burdens. And, as we learned when we limited immigration from Italy at one point, too many people from one country, culture, and language threatens assimilation. So unless Bredesen can convince me he will not be on the wrong side of fair taxation and immigration I will vote for the person who is Not a Democrat.

`

• Cannoneer2 says:

Bredesen’s Sportsmen (BS) can muddy the issue here. We cannot elect a Democrat as President , Senator or Congressman due to potential loss of the Second Amendment. (No “sporting” requirement in the 2A, by the way)

• Bob Fischer says:

More Kabuki Theatre. Bredeson is not going to Washington to overturn the second amendment. That’s just fear mongering and a lie to get idiots into their tribe.

And while sporting purposes don’t come into play in the second amendment, most assuredly sustenance hunting to provide food for one’s family, neighbors and fellow militia members certainly does. Those situations are still in play today with programs such as Hunters for the Hungry providing that food to help feed various people throughout our communities.

Remember, a militia has many roles besides raising arms against its enemies.

• Cannoneer2 says:

He won’t go to Washington for that, but he will consider it a positive side benefit when he falls in line with Schumer and Co. on legislation and appointments. As for the Second Amendment, no, there is no legal or Constitutional link at all to sporting purposes, sustenance hunting and the like. It only deals with defense, local through national.

• Bob Fischer says:

Expect to see Blackburn respond with a non-response like this to virtually every real issue that is brought up. She has no issues, no moral backbone, and is nothing but a bought and paid for lackey of the telecommunications lobby and big pharma. Her supporters have to invent Schumer ties because they have no real issues to bring up against Bredeson. Read back over this. Even Blackburn supporters acknowledge that Bredeson will be a better Senator for the state and the nation. All Blackburn has to offer is that she will be a puppet of Donald Trump and the citizens of Tennessee can be damned.

• Eddie White says:

I don’t think Bredesen is a bad person. I am a little amused that the Harvard educated guy who moved here from Massachusetts is going to show up on the first day of dove season with his shotgun. I can only hope no one gets hurt! Marsha Blackburn is the more conservative candidate and will support Trump’s agenda. It makes no sense for a Trump supporter to vote for a man who is going to oppose Trump the majority of the time. Bredesen is not running as a conservative, he is running as a “moderate democrat”. That is how he will vote. If you are a moderate, he is your man. If you are a conservative, Marsha Blackburn is your woman.

Just a note, there is no greater oxymoron in politics than a “moderate Democrat” officeholder. For example, the average Democrat in the U. S. Senate votes liberal 93% of the time, while the average Republican senator votes conservative a mere 66% of the time according to the Heritage Foundation.

Who are the “moderate” Senate Democrats? Manchin (WV) has voted liberal lifetime 81% of the time. Heitkamp (ND) 88%, and Donnelly (IN) 84% of the time. Know any other Democratic “moderates”? I think I just about covered the entire “right-wing” of the Senate Democratic caucus. Marsha actually votes liberal about 18% of the time so a moderate Tennessee voter has a better chance of having his views reflected in the voting record of his junior senator by voting for Marsha as a Republican than he has voting for Bredesen in the rabidly liberal Democratic Party.

• Bob Fischer says:

Again, more Kabuki theatre. You scream liberal, but what you mean is in the general interest of the American people. You screamed about Obamacare, but when you got the votes to repeal it, you couldn’t and wouldn’t. Why? Because everyone in this country knows that the for profit private sector has failed miserably at self policing and regulating their own market and republicans don’t have a better plan. You have no issues beyond the boogeyman Stuart. The entire republican party is nothing more than a bunch of failures screaming that they’re not as stupid as they look. But they are.

Yep Bob.
        Republicans passed the BIGGEST HEALTH CARE Bill since Medicare, at that time.
        But 400 BILLION to 1 TRILLION on unconstitutional health care is ok?
        Prescription Drug Benefit.
        The final version (conference report) of H.R. 1 would create a prescription drug benefit for Medicare recipients. Beginning in 2006, prescription coverage would be available to seniors through private insurers for a monthly premium estimated at $35. There would be a $250 annual deductible, then 75 percent of drug costs up to $2,250 would be reimbursed. Drug costs greater than $2,250 would not be covered until out-of pocket expenses exceeded $3,600, after which 95 percent of drug costs would be reimbursed. Low-income recipients would receive more subsidies than other seniors by paying lower premiums, having smaller deductibles, and making lower co-payments for each prescription. The total cost of the new prescription drug benefit would be limited to the $400 billion that Congress had budgeted earlier this year for the first 10 years of this new entitlement program. The House adopted the conference report on H.R. 1 on November 22, 2003 by a vote of 220 to 215 (Roll Call 669).
        Marsha Blackburn Voted FOR this bill.
        Marsha Blackburn is a Hypocrite.

• MarLE says:

Look for means testing of SS from Republicans. The IOU’s in that Lockbox are still marked Unpaid. But we needed a huge tax break for Engineers and Architects who operate as an LLC. I can sleep better at night knowing the brainiacs who came up with this will be hard at work on Son of Tax Plan, part ll . But Marsha is not a democrat. I hope I can get through November without finding this a very hollow reason on which to base my vote.

MarLE, there is no separate funds for SS. The court has already years ago ruled that all money are treasury funds. It is just one big pile of nothing to be paid out as the House sees fit.

• MarLE says:

I know that the borrowed money (borrowed from SS rather than another source, say China or Japan for instance) is paid back with general revenue paid INTO for the most part by the 50% of Americans who actually pay the Fed income tax. That funding source is true for all borrowed money so while ALL Americans seem to be for increased spending (Marsha included), only half will be picking up the tab. How perfect! And most immigrants from the countries which dominate both our illegal and legal immigration for the 3 decades will not be in that contributing half, for the most part. As if all of that were not enough, Republicans in this last Tax cut fiasco have just added to the debt half of us (us and our productive offspring ) will pay.

• Bob Fischer says:

Illegal immigrants pay over 120 billion in taxes. Looks to me like most of them are paying more than Exxon.

• Eddie White says:

You complain a lot, but you have no answers , no strategy.and no options except to sit at home on Election Day.

• MarLE says:

Illegal immigrants pay 120B, BOB????? How much do they pay in Federal Income Tax which is what funds our freedom (our military), pays 100% for Food stamps, pays the interest on our national debt. How much do they pay in FEDERAL INCOME TAX which is what I was TALKING about.

Only about 5 percent of Americans hunt. A minority fish. But these few want to control everything and destroy wildlife that belongs to us all as stewards of our homeland, and use our tax dollars to do it. I’m sick of it.

• Bob Fischer says:

Hunters and fisherman pay a user tax (license) to harvest heavily regulated game. We are the stewards of our nations forests, grasslands and fisheries. We are the ones that pay for it. But Donna Locke, feel free to step up and by a license so you too can be taxed with the hunters and fisherman that support wildlife management.

Seriously, is there not one single republican that has a clue about how any of this works?

• MarLE says:

Not many, Bob. Wildlife management has more rules than just about anyone except the IRS.

• Bob Fischer says:

Having worked on species restoration and dealing with the ensuing regulations surrounding it, as well being a hunter, fisherman and outdoor enthusiast, I can honestly say that if you think hunting regulations are difficult, you have no business owning a gun. Perhaps that should be the benchmark.

Wildlife and land management are about as simple and straightforward as regulations get. It’s very basic stuff. Perhaps Republicans should study up on issues before running for office.

• Bob Fischer says:

Comparing the IRS to the BLM and Park Service is simply a false equivalency.