Bredesen a ‘yes’ on Kavanaugh nomination

Democratic Senate candidate Phil Bredesen speaks to the Nashville Rotary on Aug. 20, 2018. (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

A statement from Democratic Senate candidate Phil Bredesen:

Presidents have the right to appoint justices who share their values–elections have consequences. I believe a Senator’s responsibility to ‘advise and consent’ is not a license to indulge in partisanship, but should focus on the qualifications of the nominee, their ethics and their temperament.

I believed that Judge Kavanaugh initially met this test, and I was prepared to say ‘yes’ to his nomination prior to Dr. Ford’s coming forward. While the subsequent events make it a much closer call, and I am missing key pieces of information that a sitting Senator has, I’m still a ‘yes.’

Dr. Ford is a heroine, and has brought forcefully into the national conversation the many barriers women face in reporting and dealing with sexual harassment and assault.  I was disgusted by the treatment she received at the hands of the Senate and am determined to help bring about a fairer and far more respectful treatment of these issues.

UPDATE: Here’s Blackburn’s response:

The timing of Phil Bredesen’s announcement is no coincidence. It’s a ploy to divert attention away from his record on sexual harassment and his weak record on illegal immigration policies. He thinks this will get him off the hook for his own sexual harassment problems, but there’s no covering up the fact that he destroyed evidence regarding sexual harassment claims against his friends and political allies. As governor, he gave drivers’ licenses to illegal immigrants. He opposes the wall, and he opposes President Trump’s travel ban. His campaign is bought and paid for by Chuck Schumer and national Democrats, including Michael Bloomberg. He put off an answer on Judge Kavanaugh for 88 days, under Chuck Schumer’s direction to stay neutral as long as you can. The contrast on these issues could not be more clear.

20 Responses to Bredesen a ‘yes’ on Kavanaugh nomination

Sounds reasonable to me.

• cjmcd says:

Bredesen says that now before he is elected to fed office. If perchance, he is elected to the senate, he will vote as schumer tells him to vote. You can take that to the bank!

Same with Marsha, she only does what the Deep State tells her. She comes and talks like she is hard right conservative, but votes for More Spending, More Government, More Federal Power and LESS Freedoms.

That’s why James is so enthusiastic about Bredesen winning this election so Phil can vote for Schumer and his band of far left ideologues to control the Senate so the Democrats will give us Less Spending, Less Government, Less Federal Power and MORE Freedoms.

Lunacy? You bet it is!

What we’re seeing is the deep wrongness of the gender ratio in our government in a year in which focus has been drawn to such imbalance in other areas of our society.

Analyzing the problems of the country through the prism of gender hostility will bring you no closer to rational answers than would racial, ethnic, or class hostilities and it is positively corrosive to your personality.

Many, if not most, of the world’s problems stem from this imbalance of control. In my lifetime, I’ve witnessed the slow wheel turning to right this imbalance. Your condescending efforts to dismiss what I write here draw a frame around the reality.

Things will not be the same going forward. The body is sick because the elements are out of balance. The body is having a crisis, a purging. Women see this whether you do or not.

Happily most women see the “Women’s Movement” morph from an effort to right what almost everyone agreed were societal wrongs morph into an effort to promote gender hostility and recently far left-wing politics. Insofar as well adjusted women have fathers, brothers, sons, and male companions that they care for dearly this ugly turn is doomed to failure as it is rejected by most women and men.

I mentioned this before, but the least of the evils has become too difficult to distinguish at the polls. I can’t do “pragmatic” votes for the undeserving anymore.

With the Republicans and the Democrats, it’s a question of which will destroy our country fastest.

So why pick destruction. Why pick the lesser of two evils. There is not a dime’s worth of difference… Now or Later. Get some real constitutionalists to run and vote for them. Quit voting for evil.

• MarLE says:

So there you have it, Donna. Dr Stuart has diagnosed your problem: you have gender hostility, are irrational, and have a corrosive personality. Isn’t he a swell, self-appointed ambassador for Marsha?!!!

Ha, ha. I’m going to become rational and stop voting for the same thing and expecting a different result.

I already have been skipping votes in some races.

Having fun Tennessee Republicans and Trumpidians watching Governor “Moderate” stick his wet finger in the air to see which way the wind is blowing before committing to vote one way or the other on a crucial vote? That’s what you have to look forward to for the next six years if Bredesen is elected. If he is elected to his one term in the Senate it will be “how badly do the Democrats need my vote” that will be the primary question determining how he will vote.

As Carly Simon would ask are you sure you have time for the pain? Are you really in need of the pain?

• MarLE says:

Marsha has an ad running where she says she will “deport Criminal illegal aliens”. If she is talking about those who have committed some Other crime than illegal entry that Still Leaves about 18M or so still here on the lam.
    What on earth does this exactly mean. And I thank her for weaving ithe illegal immigration issue into a response to Bredesen’s comments on Kavanaugh so that I can get HER comment clarified,

MarLE, I just got off the phone with a guy at National Public Radio. That I did not go on the record speaks for itself at this point, as far as my present and future involvement in these farces.

Sorry to say.

• Susan E Gingrich says:

Easy to have courage as a democrat when you already know the winning side and don’t have a vote. We aren’t fooled.

• David Collins says:

I really don’t see how anyone who is not on the Senate Judiciary Committee could form an opinion one way or the other about Kavanaugh. They are the “privileged ones” who have seen all the evidence, such as it is. Without getting into the allegations, I thought the good judge disqualified himself when he twisted off that last day. And don’t give me the same BS excuses he gave in his guest op/ed piece. The outburst wasn’t spontaneous. He said himself that he wrote his speech in advance. It is simply unacceptable behavior for a judge. I have witnessed temperamental judges in court and it’s ugly. A good judge has to be able to “keep his cool” no matter what. If he can’t, he should not be on the bench.

• MarLE says:

Even seeing the evidence didn’t seem to help heroine Susan Collins. She says she believes Ford was assaulted. All of the “evidence” made public so far, and cited by her, gives no corroboration to there having been a party let alone one where any of Ford’s witnesses can recall being present. Yet she believes she was assaulted. But then she also believes that Kavanaugh will adhere to Roe “precedents” and will pose no threat to the ruling. Trump has said he will nominate Roe opponents. And btw, Susan Collins is only one of 2 US senators beonging to the Republicans for Choice Pac (Murkowski is the other).