Blackburn raises $2.6M for Senate bid in second quarter

Republican U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn raised $2.6 million for her Senate bid in the second quarter, the Chattanooga Time Free Press‘ Andy Sher reports.

The quarterly haul includes $2.2 million in direct contributions plus nearly $400,000 in transfers from joint fundraising committees. That leaves Blackburn with $7.3 million on hand as the campaign heads toward the general election phase.

“Tennesseans across the state have generously donated to our campaign as I work to take our shared values to the United States Senate,” Blackburn said. “I am so grateful for their support, because these resources are vital as we work to keep Tennessee red and defeat Hillary Clinton’s ally Phil Bredesen in November.”

The Times Free Press notes that the amount raised by Blackburn includes a May fundraiser in Nashville headlined by President Donald Trump. Vice President Mike Pence is holding a fundraiser for Blackburn in Chattanooga on Saturday.

Bredesen has yet to report his fundraising figures from the second quarter. He raised $1.8 million in the previous period, while also loaning $1.4 million of his own money to the bid.

9 Responses to Blackburn raises $2.6M for Senate bid in second quarter

• Eddie White says:

Sounds like Blackburn has done well raising the money, I wonder when she will start spending some of it?

No sense doing it now Eddie with all attention on the primaries and Marsha having no significant opposition in the Republican Primary. Phil has a much tougher job. He has to convince a majority of voters that he isn’t a Democrat while running as a Democrat. That he is going to be a unique, extra special Democratic Senator the likes of which hasn’t existed in the Senate for about two decades and certainly doesn’t exist now. Fooling most of the people at just the right time is an expensive proposition and Phil’s fellow liberals on both coasts are doing what they can to make sure he doesn’t have to spend much of his own money to do it.

• Eddie White says:

Stuart, I agreed with that strategy for a while, but I am no longer convinced. She has let Bredesen define himself without any challenge. Blackburn also lacks the statewide name recognition that Bredesen has and has made no effort to introduce herself. I think she is assuming too much in this race, such as Tennessee will not elect a Democratic senator. With Republican help, yes they will.

I just hope when Marsha, the Club For Growth, et. al. run those adds where Bredesen’s picture morphs into Schumer, Booker, Sanders, etc. it reminds Tennesseans what’s at stake in this Senate race. If voters who voted overwhelmingly for Trump two years ago can turn around in sufficient numbers and vote for Bredesen it represents an overwhelming fail by everyone connected with the Marsha campaign, the national and Tennessee conservative movements and the Republican as well as the Trump organizations in this state. In that case we deserve Senator Bredesen!

• Christina Norris says:

Stuart Anderson, Phil Bredesen ran as a Democrat but served as a pragmatic Independent as both Nashville Mayor and Tennessee Governor. A lot of Democratic crafts were disappointed by actions he took as Governor. His administration rewrote Workers Compensation laws, for example, in ways that made trial lawyers very unhappy. He just has to run as himself, the person he’s always been.

• William Upton says:

That was Governor. As Junior Senator he will be working for Shumer and will do what he’s told.

Christina, when Phil Bredesen followed his wife down here from Massachusetts he had big Kennedy and John Lindsay buttons on his shirt when he showed up at Democratic Headquarters and was told to take those darn things off if you want any political future in this state. Phil is a liberal, not a fool, and I never believed the two were necessarily synonymous. He knew he wanted statewide office so he embarked on being a pragmatist mayor, and when he became Governor, faced with a conservative legislature he was a relatively moderate Democratic Governor.

If we are so foolish as to elect him as a U. S. Senator and he joins Chuck Schumer and his far left band of loons in the Senate for one term considering his age, I have no doubt that he will finally get in touch with the liberal Phil he naturally was back in Massachusetts so many years ago. That’s the person he was, and there is no reason not to believe that’s the person he remains, and with a closely divided U. S. Senate, what Tennessean who is not a liberal is daft enough to want to take a chance when we have a perfectly sound alternative in Marsha Blackburn?

• David Collins says:

Now Stuart, I have been involved in politics in this state since around 1971. I know lots of folks on both sides of the aisle. If that story about Bredesen wearing big Kennedy and John Lindsay buttons had actually happened, I feel sure I would have heard about it at the time. Come on. Admit it, you just made that story up. It sounds good, but I would wager you cannot produce anyone who claims to have witnessed it.

Come on David, a little colorful metaphorical flourish doesn’t hurt. YOU GOT ME, I MADE IT UP. The gist of the story is true however, when Phil was in Massachusetts before coming down here he was a regular Democrat of the type you would expect in Massachusetts. From The Almanac of American Politics (2006 ed.) “In 1968 he volunteered for Eugene McCarthy in New Hampshire and then for Robert Kennedy and for John Lindsay for Mayor of New York in 1969.” No buttons, but when he came down here and decided to enter Tennessee politics there was this sudden miraculous transformation to the much less ideological Phil that we know today.

Did you ever hear Phil express any embarrassment over the choices he made back in Massachusetts when he was well out of puberty and had a degree from Harvard? Me neither. I understand that liberals hope that if Phil becomes a member of the far left Democratic caucus in the Senate and finds himself in the same ideological surroundings that he had in Massachusetts he once again gets in touch with the Phil Bredesen of old. Why any voter who is not a liberal, especially those who voted for Pres. Trump, would want to take that chance I simply can’t imagine.