Blackburn donor among those caught in Fla. prostitution sting

John Childs, an equity firm owner and prominent Republican donor who has given to U.S. Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-Brentwood) and the National Republican Senate Committee, was among those charged with soliciting prostitution at a Florida spa tied to an international human trafficking ring, TCPalm reports.

Law enforcement issued warrants for 173 people on charges ranging from human trafficking to racketeering to soliciting prostitution. (Police have also charged Robert K. Kraft, the owner of the NFL’s New England Patriots in the investigation.)

Blackburn last year succeeded Sen. Bob Corker (R-Chattanooga), who made combating human trafficking a major policy objective of his time in office.

23 Responses to Blackburn donor among those caught in Fla. prostitution sting

• Jud says:

Is that the most newsworthy thing about him you could come up with? Come on…………………………

• MarLE says:

So what? A donor did something illegal. This gets the nothing burger award. Marsha has plenty of policy issues and votes to recommend against her. But this~ let it go!

• Smedley says:

I agree with Jud and MarLE, but still, who’s surprised? Not me!
    I also point out the irony – sex trafficking was a Corker area of emphasis, obviously not true with the incumbent.

• cjmcd says:

And, this means …………?

• cjmcd says:

….Oh, yes, in “dimm” terms it means Marsha is …. Well, it must mean something to a “dimm”……

• Perry Aubric says:

It means that a prominent Tennessee businessman has been caught up in a national story about sex trafficking. That is not Pearl Harbor headline news, but it certainly merits a blog post mention.

I know that the very same people reducing this to a “nothing burger” would be the loudest voices had this been a rich donor to the other political side. Do you right wingers ever even recognize what a bunch of absolute hypocrites you are?

Perry, I am way right and vocal on fiscal and law-and-order issues. I am also very pragmatic and straightforward and vocal in what I, and others, have to work with in terms of the elected. I’d like to see you find any hypocrisy in anything about me. You, on the other hand, claim left-wing, “liberal” views, but for years I’ve seen nothing but intolerance in what you write. Frankly, I have been far more public and outspoken on some “liberal” issues than the Democrats in my own county have been. And I have been far more supportive of American labor than the Democrats have been for decades. So, let’s talk about hypocrisy. More, let’s talk about the absolute lies from your side.

• Perry Aubric says:

What you don’t like, Donna, is that for years on various sites I have challenged and disputed the wrong-headed positions you and others have frequently taken, including your anti-immigrant views. I will make no apology for being unwilling to allow the relentless trolls of the right wing, far more delusional and prone to bizarre conspiracy theories every month that passes, to routinely go unanswered. Their best and most intellectual contribution is to refer to someone as a “dimm” (see above example of low-brow snarky trolling). Oh, how very clever and masterful they are (not)! But, my, how they whine and become pitiful victims when confronted with facts or any reasonably stated opposing view.

“My side,” whatever you mean by that, is progressive in an increasingly regressive state. Maybe you mean that I am pretty much anti-Trump right now. If you are pro-Trump, can you seriously, with a straight face, comment about “lies?” If so, you have quite a peculiar idea about the truth.

That you have been more “liberal” on some random issue than some unnamed Democrats in Maury County may or may not be true. Good for you if it is. (I didn’t see a labor connection in this particular thread. Kind of out of the blue on that one, Donna.) I do agree that you yourself are no hypocrite; you have been consistent over time (even if I don’t often agree with you). The same cannot be said for the usual suspects here, at KnoxViews, Tennessee Star, the Tennessean comments board, Nashville Scene, Post Politics, etc.

Like you (to your credit), I don’t hang around on these commenting sites for hours on end every day (you know who you are out there), so I won’t comment on every story or thread (again, those who do, you know who you are. Get a job, why don’t ya.). But once in a while, I will throw it right back at the alt-right hatemongers. You can tell who gets all their info from talk radio blowhards and conspiracy websites. They turn every issue, movie review, sports story or restaurant column in to a false Republican vs. Democrat debate. And anyone who won’t subscribe to their narrow world view “hates America.” Give me a break.

I am less concerned with these tired Republicans vs. Democrats comments than I am with conservatives vs. liberals, reactionaries vs. progressives, neo-fascists vs. those who hold to American values, and racists/white nationalists vs. common decency.

Define “racist.” Define “white nationalist.” I’ve worked with immigrants of color who been called racist for calling for enforcement of U.S. immigration laws and for restrictions on immigration.

My experience of abuse from you and your side, Perry, is that a “racist” is a conservative who is winning an argument with a “liberal” who cannot debate on the facts. Facts and common sense are “racist,” according to you. We live in a finite world with finite resources. We cannot save everyone, but we can destroy ourselves trying. Immigration is, for most of us, a debate about numbers and about culture preservation in a nation that is losing its cohesion. Given the trends, I’ve been saying for years the center will not hold. I will leave two children and four children here when I am gone. I have an investment in the future. So I keep speaking up.

Four grandchildren.

• Perry Aubric says:

Yawn. Same old, same old anti-immigrant rhetoric from Donna. False premise: anyone in public life in America says we should “save everyone.” Need a source for that one. Over-the-top hysteria from Trump and Hannity not admissible.

A racist is someone who demeans, discriminates against, and otherwise diminishes someone different because of racial or national origin characteristics, or who defends and supports someone who does. A racist thinks his or her own ethnicity, language or background is superior to that of others.

A white nationalist in America is someone who thinks that white people rightfully hold positions of power and that non-white people either don’t belong here or should remain in a second-class state. A white nationalist is an obsessive paranoid who actually and illogically frets about “culture preservation” in a state that is 80% white and 81% Christian and 96% English-speaking. And is willing to take whatever action necessary to suppress, expel and disenfranchise those who don’t fit into that profile.

Our lack of “cohesion” is not, in my view, because of immigration. Those folks mostly just want a better life and better opportunities. You know, American values. No difference in their hopes than those of a Democratic-voting union auto worker or a Republican-voting western rancher.

Our lack of cohesion is due to political polarization. And the chief architect of political polarization is this twitter-obsessed, couch potato, poorly informed, racist, misogynist, elected-by-a-minority president we are saddled with. Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, and Obama — whatever faults and failures any or all of them had — all made good-faith efforts to bring the country together, and all succeeded at various times and under various circumstances. Trump never even tries. And his personality cult followers emulate him and the right wing commentators who pull his puppet strings. Well, when Putin is not pulling them.

• MarLE says:

Donna…. The immigration issue is a combination of illegal entry or illegal overstay AND the lack of diversity among legal immigration ( over representation from one country, culture and language ) since the 1965 legislation. Canada, the US and Mexico threw off their colonial roots and became independent from Britain, France and Spain. All 3 countries have been blessed with an abundance of natural resources, coastlines for commerce, fertile land, hospitable climates. Agriculture, manufacturing, and tourism potential abound for each. But only 1 of these countries pose a cost to their neighbor b/c of illegal immigration? Why is that? The US has 6K miles of border with Canada and 1/3 that with Mexico. The cost of border security on our northern border is nothing compared with that of our Southern border. Those who enter from Canada do so according to our laws and of the 20 M who are here in the US illegally through illegal entry or visa-jumping, only a tiny fraction are Canadian. As a taxpayer I do not appreciate the waste of one dime in trying to control a border from those who would attempt to circumvent lawful entry. The US home-grows quite enough people who disrespect our laws. We should want to invite into the country, through legal immigration, people from countries that have demonstrated a willingness to abide by our laws. What is racist about that?

• MarLE says:

The man was charged with paying a prostitute…..there was nothing charging him with sex trafficking. THAT is why I said it was a nothing burger. And if a donor of Obama’s had been found in a similar situation I would have had exactly the same reaction. But you KNOW I would be pne of the loudest voices. And you know that would have been the case, How?

Well, my kids will not be living in the fairy tale Perry and the rest of the open-borders crowd live in. They will be in the real world, where they learned how to do math and are expected to fund insanity.

Also, I hate to tell y’all, but logic is racist. An Atlanta college professor said so a number of years ago. Neal Boortz, of course, had a field day with that.

Perry, as usual, you described your own self.

• Perry Aubric says:

Nice projection, Donna. Who said I was for “open borders”? I never said any such thing. Typical attempt of anti-immigrant ideologues to set up a straw man argument. I just don’t subscribe to your white supremacy “culture protection” racist nonsense. Once again I have come out on top of you in the substance department, and you have resorted to silly projection and some indecipherable and obscure reference from one of your conspiracy sites.

• Perry Aubric says:

Donna, you are truly sad.

MarLE, Ted Kennedy, who in the Senate had a lot to do with changing our nation’s course, reportedly told one of his nephews much later that he felt sorry for his nephews because in their lifetimes everything was going to fall apart. I read this in a review of one of the nephew’s books. I haven’t read the book.

Twenty to twenty-five years ago, a number of people calling for immigration control predicted many of the things that have now happened to this country, including the fragmentation, division, destruction of the public school system, demands for socialism, etc. We predicted the elections of extreme leaders, and we haven’t seen the worst of that yet. I myself have focused on population numbers, resource depletion, and environmental destruction because of overpopulation, and we haven’t seen the worst of that either.

We would have been better off with Ted Cruz as president. He has far more of a clue than Trump has. But altering the course of destruction we are on is almost impossible now. We can try to contain some damage, but, barring divine or equivalent intervention, our country is going to be a mess now.

• William Upton says:

Money is money. At least he doesn’t spend all his money on hookers.

• David Collins says:

Is this the same John Childs who served as a representative from Davidson County decades ago? The guy who used to own Cross Keys restaurant? (That used to be a fine dining place a long, long time ago). If it is, I just want to say that John Childs was a nice guy and effective representative for his district. Of course, that was back when “compromise” was not a dirty unforgiveable sin.

• Pingback: Tuesday, February 26

• Theo Morrison says:

David, I believe you’re referring to the Honorable John Chiles, who passed away in March of 2017. I had the honor of working with him on behalf of the TN Bankers Association.

• Bob Fischer says:

It’s newsworthy to the effect that it’s extremely relevant to know the morals of donors whose money goes toward dictating the morals of the constituents of the candidates they support. Donors dictate who Marsha Blackburn is. That, and her addicted opium customers.