Blackburn ad reminds voters of Trump support

In case you forgot, President Donald Trump is supporting Republican Marsha Blackburn in this year’s U.S. Senate race in Tennessee. She has a new ad to prove the point.

The spot rehashes comments Trump made at a rally for Blackburn in Nashville earlier this year: “Phil, whatever the hell his name is, this guy will 100 percent vote against us every single time.”

Transcript

Marsha Blackburn: I’m Marsha Blackburn, and I approve this message.

President Donald Trump: Phil Bredesen was recruited by Schumer to run for the Senate. Bredesen donated a lot of money to Hillary Clinton. Crooked Hillary. Phil Bredesen supported her, and he supported her ideas. Phil, whatever the hell his name is, this guy will 100 percent vote against us every single time.

29 Responses to Blackburn ad reminds voters of Trump support

INDEED!!! That’s the way to fight Bredesen’s Operation Distraction. Trump has the support of over 90% of the Republicans and this is a Republican state that Trump carried with over 60% of the vote. Marsha has Trump’s endorsement because she will obviously support the Trump agenda to a much greater extent than Bredesen who simply can’t be relied on support or oppose much of anything since part of Operation Distraction is to obfuscate just how liberal Bredesen happens to be.

Present variations on that theme in a number of attractive ways between now and election time. Don’t get distracted by anything done by Operation Distraction. Marsha wins going away!

• John Stewart says:

Well, it shouldn’t be hard for a Tennessean to vote against proposals and legislation that harm almost every Tennessean. Whether the issue is health care, or the tax giveaway, or agricultural tariffs, or worker safety, or educational funding, or accessible and affordable housing, or job training, or respecting all Americans, or conducting the presidency in an honorable way that seeks to unite, rather than divide, the American people, not to even mention the President’s duty to stand up for America in the face of a Russian dictator, Tennessean should–and will–reject a candidate who supports and is complicit in these disastrous proposals from President Trump. As the campaign goes forward, Marsha Blackburn’s decision to tie herself to these proposals that inflict harm on the overwhelming majority of Tennesseans will be clear. And Tennesseans will vote accordingly and send Gov. Phil Bredesen to Washington to stand up for Tennessee.

• Leslie Parsley says:

Thank you. Candidly and precisely stated. A vote for Marsha Blackburn is a vote against Tennessee and its citizens.

• Bob Fischer says:

Exactly. Trump’s behavior during John McCain’s, a soldier and statesman, bereavement time was a national disgrace. For Blackburn to air this ad in this time of national mourning for one of the last of an era of statesman who put country before party, regardless of issue, shows her to be every bit the despicable person our president has shown himself to be. When you have no issues to campaign on, all you can do is appeal to the lowest of the low in your state.

• MarLE says:

Bob….any idea why McCain is being transported on AirForce 2 and why he is lying in state at the Capitol bldg? In the last 5 yrs there have been only 2 senators (who were not either Pres or VP) to have done so. He seems to have planned every detail of his week-long funeral celebrations.

• MarLE says:

That is Last 50 years, half century, not 5 yrs….

• Bob Fischer says:

If you’ve got something to say, say it. This isn’t The Return of Batman and you’re not the Riddler.

• MarLE says:

Don’t think it is a riddle. Did he request it or is it offered to all senators but most decline. Is that a riddle? Don’t think so. But I haven’t been able to find out how this gets arranged.

• William Upton says:

McCain was OK but I think this whole obsession with his passing has gotten out of hand. Almost 24/7 coverage. It was expected, it wasn’t a shock. I respect him but this has just gotten too weird.

• Eddie White says:

Looking at President Trump’s most recent approval ratings in Tennessee, evidently the majority of Tennesseans have not figured out how bad these policies are. I know I sure hated that tax cut that gave me a raise in my paycheck.

• MarLE says:

And that tax cut has raised the national debt. You get a raise and the unborn, with no say in the matter, will be paying off the amount put on the credit card for your pay raise. Please, may I have some mooooooooore?

You should always add that “. . .and mooooooooore you will have if you vote for Bredesen thereby helping his Democrats get control of Congress” because at least the Republicans have the House Freedom Caucus of conservatives who do what they can to instill fiscal discipline when it is so out of fashion. For the Democrats, it’s unanimous – tax and spend, spend and tax and when you run out of other people’s money borrow. To carry on your serial criticism of Trump and Marsha without adding that the Democrats would be so much worse only causes you to be an eccentric serial complainer like James with no plan to ameliorate that which you are complaining about.

It’s not that I don’t appreciate James. In many ways I share his desire to return to pre 1935 if not 1860 constitutional interpretations, but at the end of the day it’s not very productive.

• MarLE says:

First of all I am not complaining. I am pointing out facts. Some care about facts; I am one of them. And I have said repeatedly that Bredesen would be worse….at least that is my impression. He has until Nov to convince me otherwise. And why was Marsha not IN the Freedom Caucus? Not invited? Didn’t want to be? Seems that greater numbers would have made them more effective.

Regrettably, Marsha is not a Stuart reasonable facsimile. If I were in the House it is unthinkable that I would have a Heritage Score of less than 90%, while Marsha only has an 82% though recently her score has improved. She really is not a conservative ideologue I’m sorry to say so there is no reason for her to be in the House Freedom Caucus.

Stuart, I think that for the congress to work, we the people have to elect constitutionalists. In order to do that we have to educate the people on what the constitution says. All we need to succeed is sufficient understanding.

James, it should be obvious to you by now that what you want to happen, even what you ardently pray will happen, is not going to suddenly happen. In order to undo that which has been done over the last 85 years over some five generations it will take the fiscal crises that we are slowly but surely moving toward with the aging of our population and/or an hostility toward government power which conservatives are trying to engender with some success.

You can join conservatives and help move the country in that direction or you can sit in the corner shooting spitballs at elected officials for violating this or that provision of the constitution as per White vs. U.S. decided by White in the corner shooting spitballs. You can place your full effort into Republican primaries supporting the most conservative candidate who has a chance of winning in order to have the Republican Party reflect our views and move the country in our direction and then vote Republican so long as the nominee is at least a tepid conservative or you can join the liberals subjecting Republican incumbents to withering criticism while you vote for candidates who are unknown and will remain unknown. I know, I’m advocating a long and often thankless slog, but I’m afraid like it or not, there is simply no other way.

You can see why Trump appeals to Tennesseans who are tired of the sanctimonious insincerity of the average politician. After that odious self-infatuated narcissist John McCain showed his contempt for Trump my not inviting him to his funeral, Trump more than repaid the senator in full by lowering the flag on the White House for a minimum period of time then promptly raising it again.

Ah, John McCain who left the Senate as one of the most universally disliked Senators in that body. It is said that the most dangerous places to be in the Capitol was between McCain and a TV camera and oh, how John loved the media, a love that was fully returned until he ran for President. I can recall few things that gave me more joy than to see his beloved media turn on him when he had the misfortune to run against St. Obama. John McCain, an open-borders neocon whose foreign policy can be best summed up by “invite the world, invade the world” who never had the wisdom to see the disasters both policies entail. John McCain, whose final act in the Senate summed up his breathtaking nastiness by casting the vote to block the killing of Obamacare, a goal that he supported, just to shoot his own party the finger before he left.

How I loved depriving him of my vote when he ran for President. How I love Trump’s return of McCain’s affection during this seemingly endless encomium to McCain’s very checkered career. R.I.P.

• Bob Fischer says:

You’re full of it Stuart. Trumpers turned on McCain when he showed himself to be a patriot and a statesman. Until Trump, he was known as a tough, but fair Senator who knew where he stood and would hold his ground. After Trump, despite the president’s personal, lying, unethical, and immoral attacks against him, McCain maintained a level of personal integrity rarely seen in Washington in this, or any other time. He was committed to his nation and had the respect of both the left, and the right whether or not we agreed with his policies. He did what he felt was right for our great nation, and that is what separates him from Trump and Blackburn, neither of whom has seen the light of day when they weren’t trying to line their own pockets.

• Bob Fischer says:

You mean that loan you got on your exploding national debt? Wait until you have to pay that 20 dollars a week back at 60 dollars a week out of your social security check. See how you like it then.

• Phil Lassiter says:

You’d be surprised how many vote to commit national suicide

• Bob Fischer says:

For those wanting historical perspective on McCains State Funeral, he is the ninth representative of the citizens and I believe the eighth Senator to receive this honor. The list is as follows, John Logan, Charles Sumner, Thaddeus Stevens and Henry Clay (all prior to 1969) and since 1969, the list is Everitt Dirksen, Hubert Humprey, Claude Pepper, Daniel Inouye, and John McCain.

McCain’s career and record of being on the right side of campaign finance reform and ethics in elections, the savings and loan scandals, bank reform and healthcare have earned him the honor of laying in state. It simply a thank you from a grateful nation for an honorable career.

• MarLE says:

The question, not a riddle, was did HE request this or is it offered to all senators who die in office but most turn down the “thank you from a grateful nation”?

• Bob Fischer says:

I know Bobby Kennedy didn’t lay in state, but he went home to New York and was viewed at his Cathedral. Teddy was lain in Boston. Both were buried at night near their slain brother and president John F. Kennedy. To date, they have been the only two night time burials in Arlington. I’m pretty sure one doesn’t get to request one’s viewing in the capitol, it’s an honor that is earned, but you have the list, and the complete list of all who have been afforded this honor is easily obtained on the internet. As to your insinuation that other dead guys turned this honor down, simply put, they’re dead. Other people make these decisions.

• MarLE says:

Yes, Bob, they’re dead, as is McCain. But it is said that he planned out every single aspect of his funeral. Few. probably no one, gets into the details quite like it seems he did for this week-long event.

• Bob Fischer says:

On a related note as to why Trump hated McCain, W.Samuel Patton pleaded guilty today to illegally steering foreign money into Trump’s campaign, much like the illegal foreign money the NRA is laundering into Marsha Blackburn’s campaign. McCain spent much of his career trying to clean up our political system. It was his great domestic passion. That is why he’s hated by Trump followers. He was a man of ethics and integrity. He was everything Trump and Blackburn is not.

Frankly, you people trashing McCain were too gutless to take up these issues while he was alive and well.

I would much rather Marsha Blackburn be FOR the Constitution and I would not care who does or does not endorse her.
    She votes against the constitution too many times. Some of you are ok with a compromise, the vote she takes does some good and some bad. I say either it is Constitutional Or NOT.

• Bob Fischer says:

Assuming your views of the constitution are in line with judicial interpretation, you will be far better off with Bredeson in office. Blackburn has spent her entire career profiteering off her constituents, while Bredeson ‘s record is one of true public service, in line with the constitutional mandate set forth for all public officials.

• Eddie White says:

You are not going to elect the type of strict constititionalist you want in office. Not going to happen. You have to decide which of 2 candidates best represent your views, Bredesen or Blackburn. Not a hard decision for true conservatives, but evidently it is for strick constitutionalist. You may help stop Blackburn from being elected, but you are not advancing your cause by electing Bredesen.