Bill to ‘trigger’ abortion ban revived in House

A bill to “trigger” a ban on abortions in Tennessee in the event that the U.S. Supreme Court overturns its Roe v. Wade decision has been revived in the House.

A subcommittee had earlier voted down the bill sponsored by Rep. Susan Lynn (R-Mt. Juliet) amid an inter-chamber squabble over which anti-abortion legislation to pursue. The House preferred a bill to ban abortions once a fetal heartbeat is detected, while the Senate wanted to go with the triggering legislation supported by Tennessee Right to Life.

The Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday advanced the triggering legislation while sending the heartbeat bill to a summer study committee. The House Health Committee on Wednesday voted to overturn the subcommittee vote on the trigger bill and pull it directly to the full committee. The motion was made by Rep. Ron Gant (R-Rossville), the assistant House majority leader.

The House committee vote was 12-4, one more than the minimum necessary to recall a bill to full committee.

12 Responses to Bill to ‘trigger’ abortion ban revived in House

All indications are that none of these folks actually give a flip about the lives of my children. If I mentioned that one of the kids owns a business, that might cause some perk-up.

• Eddie White says:

I think they care about children. They just don’t want to wait until after birth to start proving protections.

• Lenny says:

True. But if they really cared they would not allow them to play Bingo.

. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

Vote out the RINOs

Eddie, the life already here must have precedence. The choice to have a child must belong only to the one taking the risks to have the baby. Pregnancy and childbirth are dangerous, can cause death to the girl or woman, and always — always — cause some permanent damage to the carrier’s body. No one has the right to force another to risk injury and death.

I am pro-choice on abortion and oppose the military draft for the same reason I just stated. If you have no freedom over your own body, you have no freedom at all.

The Republicans have lost so many independents like me, but just keep on.

• Eddie White says:

Donna, I understand the risks that comes to the mother during pregnancy and childbirth. We should do all we can as a society to provide the support and medical care for the mother and baby. But our society has an obligation, and a very serious one, to protect the life of the unborn. Freedom comes with responsibility. Protecting our children should start in the womb.

I respect your opinion, Eddie, but that is overreach I would not put up with. I am past the point of having children, but I had two and almost died with the first one. My son’s best friend in childhood grew up without his mother, who died giving birth to him. I volunteered as a rape crisis counselor and helped arrange abortions for some victims pregnant as a result of rape. I’ve had a long time to consider these things. I have a different spiritual view of these things as well.

• MarLE says:

There are currently about 23 maternal deaths per 100,000 births…2 one-hundreds percent (.02%). It is only That high because some states use 12 months postpartum as the time frame. The WHO uses 42 days postpartum.

The risk of maternal death is very low, and many of those deaths are the result of poor health from obesity, drugs, etc.

Abortion itself carries long term risk to the woman’s physical health and the toll on Psychiatric health is well documented. By self-report most 95% of abortions are for mental, financial, or convenience and not Physical health reasons.

Only 2 countries in the world (Catholic) ban all abortion.

Abortion is permitted and Gov paid for in Israel, even in a near-theocracy which gave the world God’s commandment Thou Shalt not Kill. Stopping abortion is something only God, himself, can stop. 50 Million times in the US women have opted to get rid of life for their own reasons ….but statistics tell us that preserving their own life is NOT, in all honesty, one of them.

Girls and women, not the government, own their bodies. And pregnancy and childbith are not walks in the park and will always be a risk to the carrier.

I was an escort for women through screaming mobs at an Atlanta abortion clinic. The number one reported feeling for the women after abortion was relief.

The number one predictor for child abuse is an unwanted child.

• MarLE says:

Of course it is relief….they don’t have 18 uninterrupted years of responsibility for that child.

To avoid child abuse you don’t put the child up for adoption you kill it before it becomes a victim of your abuse. So…better it is killed before it is offered for adoption. Gee…such a lovely solution.

The bottom line for me is rights and freedom. If a girl or a woman feels abortion is wrong, then don’t have one. But don’t try to impose your religious views on others, particularly when you are infringing on others’ inherent and constitutional rights. Men should stay out of the decision entirely. Women and girls are not their property. This issue has always been soaked in those old views and overtones. Of course, some women are content to be treated as property.

Either we have control over own bodies or we have no freedom at all. This is basic.

What we have in the legislature and with the Republican Party in general is the desire to please the evangelical voting bloc, without which the Republicans think they can’t win elections now. They may be right. But the elected have alienated many with these theocratic pursuits. Of course, many Democrats and independents, too, would be happy to deny abortion rights.

I ally with the evangelicals on things we can ally on. That’s what I’ve been doing. On some things, we are on opposite sides, but I try to be civil even when I view their actions as dangerous to the individual and the republic. I am agnostic but had a strong indoctrination in Christian fundamentalism as a child and teenager. I’m versed in the Christian Bible, to the point I can write at length about the astrological symbolism in it and its repeats of myths and other stories that preceded it in ancient lore. I have no idea what is really going on. I’ve spent my adult life gathering clues.

• MarLE says:

My opinions on abortion are not grounded in the Bible; perhaps you’ve mistaken me for a right-wing evangelical. Snuffing out a human life because it gets in the way of my plans is really against natural law. What kind of person does that? Yet most post-abortion self reporting says it is for career, financial, reputational/social reasons. Again….who does that just because they have a right to?

• Eddie White says:

Exceptions for the life of the mother can be written into law. Unfortunately too many abortions are for convenience.