Alexander, Blackburn named to Trump’s economic recovery initiative

U.S. Sens. Marsha Blackburn (R-Brentwood) and Lamar Alexander (R-Maryville) attend a Tennessee Titans event in Nashville on Dec. 13, 2019 (Erik Schelzig, Tennessee Journal)

U.S. Sens. Lamar Alexander (R-Maryville) and Marsha Blackburn (R-Brentwood) have been named to President Donald Trump’s economic recovery initiative.

“The way to contain this disease and get back to work and back to school is to put politics aside and work together as fast as we can on new tests, new treatments, and new vaccines,” Alexander said in a release. “Everyone I know wants this to happen as quickly as we responsibly can, and I welcome the opportunity to help in this way.”

“This pandemic is affecting Americans of all backgrounds, in every sector, and figuring out how we re-open our country requires a targeted approach,” Blackburn said in a statement. “I am grateful that President Trump has selected me to join that effort, and look forward to working with my colleagues to come up with a solution that serves the American people.”

29 Responses to Alexander, Blackburn named to Trump’s economic recovery initiative

• “IT MATTERS…” if we allow fear to direct us or if we face this head-on. We must get this nation back to work pronto, educating citizens… not dictating or restraining, which has… and will result in the erosion of our basic freedoms. Americans are smart… let them make these decisions instead of a one-size… fits-all.
    “IT MATTERS…” WHO represents us in Washington.
    BushForSenate.com

• Phil Lassiter says:

I feel better with ALEXANDEr! At the helm. That being said, this isnt a campaign platform if you can’t get lift anywhere else. Please refrain from entrapping next with your propaganda. A Democrat will won this race, but it will be a republican Democrat. Not a Democrat Democrat. Sorry. Just a fact

• Ryan Jenkins says:

DR. Byron Bush has my FULL support!!

As long as they do Not Force the Vaccine upon us.

• Cannoneer2 says:

A targeted approach. Right.I imagine the plan might be: Send the little guy back to work while “Important People” like the Captains of politics and industry continue to shelter in place. Maybe they’ll throw the little guy a mask to wear.

Indeed, Cannoneer perhaps when the profiteers come out with their vaccine and cures for the Chinese virus and it comes time to do human tests they will carefully choose the humans on whom to conduct the tests so that only the “little guy[s]” will be the test recipients so that “the Captains of politics and industry” will only get the vaccine/cures after they have been certified as safe. Then again, maybe not.

For those of you that have school age children or grand children this is an excellent example of how careful you must be in choosing the reading matter for children at their most impressionable. Have them read Steinbeck too early and it leaves a lifelong mark resulting in a Cannoneer 2.

• Cannoneer2 says:

Nope. It is much simpler than Steinbeck. Just look at the picture. I worked for state government for around ten years back in the nineties. During the course of professional duties, I had one or more of what I will call “adverse interactions” with each of the above pictured people or members of their staff. I learned where their loyalties lay from those experiences. When I moved here, fresh out of undergrad, I happily pulled the lever for the Republican without giving it much thought. Ten years dealing with them taught me to look at each candidate more in depth. I am a conservative who once called himself a Republican. Never again.

• Sam Spradling says:

Has it been, or will be considered that workers be tested for facilities as they reopen. Those who test posaive would not be allowed to return to work. Those who have antibodies would. This would give control of any reinfection in the work place.

• MARLE says:

Now the Trump “experts, Fauci and Birx claim that a person is MOST contagious 48 hrs before symptoms show up LIKE FEVER. So fever monitors are useless. Saliva test take 5 minutes (the fast ones) but that’s a lot of testing for an company of 500 workers every day.

• Mickey says:

They make a cute couple.

• Gail McPeak says:

If Tennesseans had voted on skill as opposed to party; Phil Bredesen would be sitting in this picture with Alexander. A man with extensive health care, business experience and leadership capabilities. My how we reward folks who have served Tennessee well . . …………

“Skill”? “Skill”? In your liberal dream world Gail, just how much difference does one out of hundred senators with seniority anywhere from 90 to 100 make when a pandemic hits no matter how much “skill” the politician has? Besides, how do you measure “skill”? The skill it takes to build a company and/or be a governor is different than the skill needed to be an effective U.S. senator in a liberal party representing a conservative state.

Come with me Gail to the real world. The vast majority of voters voted for Marsha because she is a conservative and this is a conservative state. Conservatives should not vote for anyone who will vote for Chuck Schumer to be Majority Leader of the U.S. Senate whether their name is Bredesen, or Meckler unless they have lost their mind. Voters should, and mostly do, vote according to ideology. The Republican Party is sort of, kind of, a conservative party. This is a conservative state. Hence the Democratic Party is not a viable party outside of a few liberal ghettos in this state. You are a liberal and you don’t like it (but it’s kinda nice to live here vs. N.Y.C. or L. A.) I understand.

• John says:

Eric should calculate users’ average words per comment. Conciseness, not verbosity, is a measure of intelligence.

Why would Eric waste his time doing something like that and once he came up with a figure what would he do with the information? Knowing your political leanings I can understand why you would like some authority controlling or at least monitoring individual expression but it really is a senseless suggestion don’t you think?

I have some wonderful news for you John, just to show you there’s no hard feelings. Every time you see a post with too many words, or too many big words, why don’t you just pass it by. Really. At the same time every contributor to these Responses should feel free to express themselves exactly as they like. It’s what as known as INDIVIDUAL FREEDOM, a concept to which you are not particularly sympathetic but let’s give it a shot.

• MARLE says:

Guess James A Michener, along with so many other men of many words, wasn’t too intelligent by John’s brevity standard. Why don’t folks with so many great ideas of who should be able to say what simply start their own blog.

• Gail McPeak says:

Sir, you have no idea what my ideology is, my background, my religion, my education or my location. You have no information regarding me at all. But, it hasn’t stopped you from insulting me and making gross assumptions and gross generalizations regarding my behavior. That is the new american disease; grouping everyone into two categories: you’re either with me or against me. Until we can again accept the gray between your two data sets we will never rebuild the soul of America.

Oh dear Gail, I do know that you are a little too touchy to be so involved with politics. Perhaps now that spring is here and we’re home bound gardening might interest you and be more compatible with your personality.

If you read my reply again you will find I said nothing about your background, education, or your location. You did, however, express a longing for Phil Bredesen to be our senator, rather than Marsha Blackburn. Phil Bredesen would certainly have voted for Chuck Schumer, a doctrinaire liberal, to be Majority Leader of the U. S. Senate and his presence would have contributed to the liberals in the Democratic Party controlling all the committees in the Senate and their having veto power over all of Trump’s conservative judicial appointments.

HOW DID I EVER THINK THAT YOU WERE A LIBERAL. CRAZY ME!!! Indeed, perhaps you just thought that as a new junior senator from our great state Bredesen would control the federal government’s health care policy. Maybe you are not a liberal at all, you just don’t know that much about how our government operates and that unlike the majority of Tennessee voters you didn’t realize all the ramifications of electing Bredesen instead of Marsha. In a way I don’t blame you for being angry, I wouldn’t like being called a “liberal” either, but if you are not one, I hope you can see how one can innocently mistake you for one.

• Phil Lassiter says:

Anyone can balance a budget in the ages of federal stimulus. Lee will have same advantage as Bredesen. Sit at bottom of dam with mouth open and receive funds to balance budgets. Say it was because of hard work, sacrifice and perseverance. Leave office before truth and damage known

• Helen Lewis says:

Well enough is not dying fast enough……..and beside it is no where as fatal as 1918 Flu….

• Pingback: Friday, April 17

• Jonathan Swift says:

Whenever I feel the need to read the smug dogma of a condescending, pompous reactionary, I can come here and Stuart I. Anderson will scratch that itch.

Anytime Jonathan, glad to oblige.

I get a kick out of Stuart, and I don’t mean that in a negative sense. I know Stuart is looking for a true conservative, to his way of thinking, and is dissatisfied with the options and so is trying to promote the least of the evils. Stuart and I diverge on what true conservatism is, but I understand the triage only too well. And the stakes are quite high at this stage of the disintegration.