A retired DEA agent appears in a new ad by Democratic Senate candidate Phil Bredesen’s campaign to criticize Republican Marsha Blackburn for sponsoring legislation that he says hampered law enforcement efforts to combat the spread of opioids.

“Congresswoman Blackburn introduced legislation in the middle of this crisis that’s going to make it more difficult for DEA to do their job,” Jim Geldhof, the ex agent, says in the ad. The industry got exactly what they wanted.”

The ad was released just hours before the final debate between Bredesen and Blackburn in Knoxville on Wednesday.

Here’s a transcript of the ad:

My name’s Jim Geldhof. I was with DEA for 43-and-a-half years. We were trying to address the problem of the opioid crisis. We were cracking down on drug companies, and they pushed back hard with the pharmaceutical lobbying groups. Marsha Blackburn has taken over $800,000 from the pharmaceutical industry. Congresswoman Blackburn introduced legislation in the middle of this crisis that’s going to make it more difficult for DEA to do their job. The industry got exactly what they wanted.

35 Responses to Agent in Bredesen ad: Blackburn made it ‘more difficult for DEA to do their job’ on opiods

• Lance Persson says:

Is it bias or stupidity that no where in this posting does it say that both houses passed this bill unanimously? Readers want “the whole truth and nothing but the truth”. The information in this story comes up very short in that regard.

• MarLE says:

How many of those unanimous TN legislators is trying to take their stupidity to the US senate?

Don’t worry folks the last report I read MarLE has every intention to vote for Marsha. She just has this odd hobby of dedicating the overwhelming majority of her responses to a criticism of individuals she fully intends to vote for. Sort of likes James criticizing current Republican officeholders running for election thereby doing his part so their opponents who will give us more of exactly what James doesn’t want will win. Curious, don’t you think?

James doesn’t want More Of The Same. That Is why he is Not voting for Marsha “Deep State” Blackburn.

• Eddie White says:

For those of us who are conservative and support pro-life, religious liberty, and believe in traditional values, it is easy to support Marsha Blackburn.

• MarLE says:

It is not a hobby. It is voicing an opinion…in this case making the point that because the entire TN legislature did something with unfortunate, unintended consequence that this somehow excuses the author of the legislation.

• MarLE says:

And why Stuart do you feel compelled to keep a running update of my voting intentions? Donna not around for you to insult?

• Eddie White says:

MarLE, I disagree with Stuart. I see no evidence that you are voting for Marsha Blackburn. Why would you vote for someone who you disagree with so much?

• MarLE says:

Because she is not a Democrat. She is not a conservative, she has not been honest about many issues most especially the tax bill, she is supporting DACA , and much more with which I disagree but because I think a Democrat would be worse I am voting for the person who is Not A Democrat. For others, not being a democrat may not be so important as it is to me. The evidence is that I have said I am voting for her.

Too many Americans are much too sensitive for their own good of for the good of the nation. We need a strong resilient country that is not fostered by people going around just looking for things that will cause them insult.

I run an update on your voting intentions only because I am a supporter of Marsha Blackburn who you often criticize while seldom criticizing her opponent. You are therefore behaving in a way that is not helpful to my important goal of making Marsha our next U. S. Senator. In order to dilute the harmful effects of your responses I exercise my freedom to remind the readers that despite your serial criticism of Marsha you intend to vote for her as you yourself have stated. In the same way I often point out James’ serial criticism of Republicans who I support will only lead to the election of Democrats that will lead to bigger government that James professes to loathe.

To “insult” is “to treat with insolence, indignity, or contempt.” Disagreeing and/or pointing out what can be regarded as irrational behavior should not be confused with insulting in order to preserve what is left of the ability to engage in dialogue in this country.

The Republicans have lost their way. They are also increasing the cost, power, and size of government. Why, because you keep electing them.

They will only change when you change. IF you want change, change your vote. If Marsha were voted OUT, then the next Republican that ran for that seat may be someone that is conservative. But keep voting for NeoCons, and you will keep getting NeoCons.

• MarLE says:

Her opponent, Stuart, does not have a record at the Federal level to examine. And there is no one on this blog attempting to make HIM look like a conservative. And HE is a Democrat which I have said, time and time again, would be worse. So I have no need to criticize a record that doesn’t exist nor to push back against the assertion that he is a conservative. THAT is why I point out Marsha’s record and not his. I assume he Would BE worse and thus, because she is Not a Democrat she is better. Not b/c she is on the correct side of many issues but b/c she is Not A Democrat.

• Eddie White says:

James, that logic won’t fly. If Blackburn loses, it will because some moderate east Tennessee Republicans are actively supporting Bredesen. She will not lose because she is not conservative enough. She has solid support amoung conservatives. If Blackburn loses, the next election will see a more moderate Republican as the nominee because a conservative cannot win. The argument being made against Blackburn is she too conservative, therefore elect Bredesen.

Eddie, I have no illusions, MB will win. But I will not be part of voting for the lesser of two evils. I want a constitutionalist in the senate. I will not vote for someone just because they are Republican, they have to be constitutionalists. MB is not.

• Iva Russell says:

Seriously, this used to be a place where I could read non-biased political information. Now, I feel like this is just another propaganda page. Can we get Humphrey out of retirement?!

Excellent video!

• Carol says:

Why is Bloomberg in New York throwing a big fundraiser for Bredesen?

Lance and Iva, thanks, I just hope Erik Schelzig doesn’t think his liberal bias is going unnoticed.

You think this is bad, you should see what has happened to the actual The Tennessee Journal over the past year. It’s like reading a hard copy of Tennessee’s version of MSNBC/CNN. Apparently there is a quota that every political article has to contain at least one sarcastic liberal oriented remark about the events they are reporting about. I subscribe because it is informative. Often painful, but informative none the less. Oh how I wish there was a conservative alternative.

I am no liberal, but Erik has an opinion too. and the blog is Politics and Opinions. I just wish they would post more articles, I don’t care if they slant it one way or the other, even the ‘conservative’ blogs and papers do that. The more articles, the more conversation.

• Pingback: Thursday, October 11

These are devastating unintended consequences, like some others I could name.

Erik, what are you doing that you can’t throw some more meat up here?

• MarLE says:

The project veritas / Bredesen blow up should certainly be a topic.

• Silence Dogood says:

Curious as to why the Project Veritas video is not burning up the TNJ, too. Phony Phil’s folks only said what most everyone in the state already knows. Liberals are so desperate to RESIST they will lie, cheat, steal, suppress rights, commit acts of violence, commit acts of treason, kill the innocent, deny due process, allow foreign countries to invade this country, and commit acts of terror. Phony Phil is a leader in that group. I pity those poor campaign workers who are now, no doubt, being punished for being whistle blowers. Simple citizens, like those campaign workers, just do not corrupt quickly enough for the liberal RESIST movement.

• Erik Schelzig says:

Sorry for the light posting, folks! On the road this week for the Kingsport gubernatorial debate and the Senate debate in Knoxville. And then had to get down to writing this week’s Journal. I miss Tom, too!

PS: I think “Painful, but informative” would be a great motto for a political newsletter.

• MarLE says:

For anyone thinking Taylor Swift is a moron……read the transcript of Kanye West’s “speech” at the White House today. Have a couple of aspirin handy. The bleeped words were actually among the few that made any sense.

• Silence Dogood says:

I do not think she is a moron. I think she is needy and pathetic and wrong. But, I do not care what Kanye thinks, either. Nor Nike, nor the NFLPU, nor… you get the idea. Taylor Swift is a talented singer. And 25% less impressive than she used to be to me. And I understand why some are not happy with Blackburn. At one time Corker sounded like Blackburn. And look what he turned out to be. We lose these elections in the Primaries in Tennessee, folks.

• MarLE says:

It is not what Kanye thinks….it’s the fact that the President of the US and leader of the free world called it “impressive”.

• Silence Dogood says:

I would suggest paying less attention to what the President says and more to what the President does. How many times have Kelly and Sessions been fired? President Trump plays the press and the Left like a concert pianist plays a piano. And working swiftly and effectively to reorient the judiciary and killing the deep state. Kanye is just more distraction. See McConnell got another 86 judges through before the election? More of our Presidents work. 🇺🇸 MAGA.

• MarLE says:

Can someone tell me when “again” was? Make America great like it was, when, exactly?

• Silence Dogood says:

You are so right, let’s nail that down. America was great before the Bushes, Clinton’s, and Obama administrations. 28 disgusting soul sucking years. All presidents who were globalists and all determined to rule the world from Europe. Sex in the Oval Office, bold face lies to the press with no apologies, wars in the Middle East consuming trillions of our countries dollars and tens of thousands of our young folks lives, and so on and on and on till finally nasty pervert men can enter the little girls bathroom and molest them. And if you try to stop them you get sued. This country owns the badge of honor for maintaining freedom in the world by defeating nazi’s, Fascists, communist, criminal dictatorships, and despicable tyrants of every color and religion. I am proud of what my father and his fathers did to make this country great. I am ashamed of what I have let it become. No more. I will help MAGA!🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸 Vote to send help to Trump next month.

• MarLE says:

Well that would seem to take us to Reagan whose sense of Tax FAIRNESS had all taxpayers, those who got paychecks and those who were entrepreneurs, paying the same tax rate. NOT some paying 20% less. AND he had corporations paying that same rate, not 42% less. Taxation represents a big part of how the government treats its citizens, in terms of institutional fairness. So, yes , let’s make America Great Again!
    And you reference to fighting Naziis suggests you think the 40’s was great. For many Americans I don’t think they want to return to Jim Crowj.

• Silence Dogood says:

Haters will always hate, MarLE. Not a child born in this world that does not accumulate a long list of sins before the age of 18. I still love my children and my parents. Do not live in that sad place. Without America the world would be a far uglier and cruel place. We are a work in progress. No perfection. Just an idea that has been tarnished badly by 28 years of neglect.

• MarLE says:

If we went back to Reagan’s ideas then we wouldn’t be doing the things that Trump has done. If ” again” means the 80’s under Reagan then we don’t seem to be even trying to revisit this period when, I agree, America was great compared to now. The tone of the Presidency was dignified, the tax codes made Americans feel that no one category of worker/tax payer deserved to be singled out for Special Tax Rates. But if we are going back farther, and “again” means a time when we had institutional (sanctioned by the government, not just individual attitudes) segregation and unequal treatment then “again” was probably not all that great in many regards.

• Pingback: Friday, October 12